Baldur's Gate 2 Online Walkthrough by Montresor
This is the Bard class quest but all protagonists can do the quest. However, only a Bard will end up as the proud owner of the theater, which will be his or her stronghold.
If you are a Bard, at the start of Chapter 2 Gaelan Bayle will suggest that you check out the theater under the Five Flagons Inn in the Bridge District. The Inn can be found at 12 in the Bridge District area of Athkatla.
Go to the Five Flagons Inn, take the stairs down to the cellar at 4, pay the admission to watch the show, and go forward. You will witness a most dismal performance ruined by Biff the Understudy who can neither act nor remember his lines.
After the actors have been boo'ed off the stage, Raelis Shai comes forward to apologize, and also to ask if there are any adventurers present. Follow her backstage and ask her what is the problem. Raelis tells you that one of their actors, Haer'Dalis, has been abducted by an evil wizard who coveted the actor's gem. Agree to help. Of course there is more to the story than meets the eye but then, what else is new?
- Raelis Shai told you that the wizard made his abode in the Sewers below the Temple District. So this is where you should go first.
- In the Temple District, find one of the entrances to the Sewers at 11.
If you haven't visited the Temple District before, you will witness a spectacle at 4 which leads to the Unseeing Eye quest.
- Go down into the Sewers. You will arrive at 1 in this area and the entrance to Mekrath's Lair is at 8. A low-level party may want to take the long way around, in order to avoid the strong war party at 4 and the Rakshasa at 9, since both can be a bit too much for an untested party.
- Anyway, find the hidden door at 7 and the stairs up to Mekrath's Lair at 8.
- Enter Mekrath's Lair. You will immediately be attacked by several Mephits.
- Loot the library at 2 for a few scrolls. I then suggest that you continue to clear out and loot the rooms at 3, 4, 5, and 6. May as well get it over with.
- The two chests in the room at 3 are trapped. They contain a variety of gems and a Necklace of Form Stability.
- Prepare before going into the room at 4. You will be met by a Yuan-Ti party with Salamanders. The two Yuan-Ti Mages like casting Invisibility on themselves and Confusion on everybody else. The locked and trapped chest contains an Oil of Speed, a Scroll of Carrion Summons, and minor treasure.
- In the room at 5 there is a trap in the floor. You might as well disarm it now.
The altar is also trapped. You can disarm it, but you can't open it yet.
- At 6 you will find the missing actor Haer'Dalis. But he has been Charmed and you can't get anything sensible out of him for now.
- At 7, loot the two cabinets (one of them is trapped!) for scrolls of Agannazar's Scorcher and Ghoul Touch, potions of Genius and Stone Form, a Cursed Potion of Invulnerability, and minor treasure.
- Proceed to 8 where you will meet the "evil wizard", Mekrath. Ask him to free Haer'Dalis and he will tell you that Haer'Dalis is a thief.
Don't mention Haer'Dalis' gem – it is really Mekrath's gem which Haer'Dalis came here to steal. If you mention it, you will have to fight Mekrath.
Of course you could kill Mekrath for 14,000 XP and 2 Potions of Extra Healing, 2 items of minor treasure, a Quarterstaff +1, and a Mage Robe of Fire Resistance.
- If you avoid mentioning the precious gem, Mekrath agrees to free Haer'Dalis if you will do him a favor in return. An Imp has stolen his magical mirror. Mekrath suspects that the Imp can be found in the southeastern corner of the Sewers.
- Exit to the Sewers. The aforementioned Imp can be found at 10 in this area. Again, an inexperienced party may want to avoid the war party at 4 and the Rakshasa at 9.
- When you find the Imp, it is accompanied by its pet Lesser Earth Elemental. Kill them both. The Imp drops Mekrath's Mirror and some minor treasure.
- Return to Mekrath's Lair and find Mekrath. Give him his mirror for 18,750 XP. Mekrath finds that it is cracked and teleports away to repair it.
Take the opportunity to loot his fireplace for a Potion of Mind Focusing, a Potion of Genius, a Rod of Resurrection, and a Wand of Cloudkill.
- Return to 1 where you will find Haer'Dalis, now fully conscious. He offers to join you and if you turn him down, charges you with finding "his" gem and bringing it back to Raelis Shai.
Even if you want Haer'Dalis in your party, it is recommended not to bring him along yet.
- Go to the altar at 5. With Mekrath gone it is no longer locked, so loot it for the Portal Gem, a Harp of Discord, and minor treasure.
- Leave Mekrath's Lair and find your way back to the Five Flagons Inn.
- Before going downstairs, you may want to rest in the inn to recharge your spell books. There is one more dungeon to come.
- Go downstairs and find Raelis Shai at 12. Give her the Portal Gem. The party receives 21,250 XP and 700 GP.
- However, Raelis and Haer'Dalis finally own up to the fact that the gem was never theirs at all. It is a portal gem, used for planar travel. Raelis Shai will use it to summon a conduit to help them travel between planes. Agree to help them defend against any monsters that may come out.
- With that, the actors and the party are transferred to 10 where Raelis Shai opens a portal.
- There will be three waves of monsters: First it's a Quasit, easily killed. Next, it's a Lesser Fire Elemental. Third, it's a Shadow Fiend.
- But then, it's a Bounty Hunter. After some debate, and no matter what you say, he abducts all the actors, including Haer'Dalis. Which is why you shouldn't accept him into the party before.
- Are you going to let them steal away your new-found friends? Of course not! Prepare for battle and jump through the portal!
- You arrive in the Planar Prison. Here you will witness an exchange between a Bounty Hunter and a prisoner who refuses to be a slave any more. Just then, they notice your party. And you are most unwelcome!
You have to kill all the Bounty Hunters. Try to get the Mage to the left quickly; she has some pretty annoying spells (for example, Finger of Death is always an inconvenience if you fail your saving throw;-)).
- When you have killed all the Bounty Hunters, Tagget speaks to you and tells you of the situation: You are in a planar prison with no way out. All prisoners are supposed to wear collars that turn them into slaves; however he has managed to remove his.
The Warden of the prison is a Cambion just to the north (at 7 on the Planar Prison map) but you don't want to challenge him just yet. If, on the other hand, you can kill the Master of Thralls and destroy the Orb he carries, all the prisoners will be free and it will be a lot easier to kill the Warden.
- Before going on, don't forget to loot the fresh bodies. You should find a Two-handed Sword +1; the Melodic Chain; Scrolls of Flesh to Stone, Summon Efreeti, Death Spell, and Chain Lightning; 2 Potions of Extra healing; 2 Leather Armor +1; Arrows of Fire; Arrows of Ice; the Dagger Pixie Prick +3; a pair of Boots of Speed; a Cloak of the Shield; and Bracers of Defense AC 8.
- Go eastward to 2 where you will have to kill three Thralls. One of them drops a Medium Shield +1, the rest of the loot is bunk.
- Further eastward, watch out for the pulsating blob at 3. If you step on it, you end up in a small enclosure with several hostile Githyanki.
- At 4 awaits one of the tougher battles. Depending on your level, there can be anything from a few Salamanders to several Yuan-Ti Mages. There will also be a few Thralls.
One of the Thralls drops Gauntlets of Weapon Skill, the Short Sword Kundane +2, and a Ring of Protection +1. Another Thrall drops a Wand of Lightning, Bracers of Defense AC 8, and a Potion of Extra Healing.
- At 5 awaits the Master of Thralls' pet, at Wyvern.
- At 6 you will find the Master of Thralls himself, a lesser Demon. He summons a couple of Air Elementals before attacking. Kill him and his pets and loot him for the Mastery Orb and a Staff of Air +2.
- With the Mastery Orb in your possession, go back to 2. Click the brazier a few times to throw the Orb into it and destroy it. All Thralls in the prison have now been set free, and the party gains 24,750 XP.
- Make your way back to 1 and then northwards to 7 as fast as possible. Don't worry about the blobs marked 3 on the map; they no longer work.
- At 7 you will find the Warden killing his former Thralls. Help them fight him. You get 10,000 XP once he goes down, and another 5,000 from Tagget when he turns up to thank you. Loot the Warden's corpse for 3 Star Sapphires, 2 Emeralds, 2,577 GP, the Planar Prison Cell Key, the Long Sword Adjatha the Drinker +2, and the Wave Shaft.
- Go on to 8. Raelis Shai thanks you profusely. Each party member receives 44,000 XP. Raelis Shai casts a spell sending everybody back to the cellar under the Five Flagons Inn.
- If you are a Bard, she also gives you the deed to the theater under the Five Flagons Inn. The theater then becomes your stronghold.
- Haer'Dalis refuses to go with Raelis Shai and instead offers to join your party. Accept if you want a Bard in your party. If you turn him down, he goes to the first floor of the Five Flagons Inn.
- If you are a Bard, you are now approached by the innkeeper, Samuel Thunderburp, who helps you find a director and get going on the Bard Stronghold quests.