Baldur's Gate 2 Online Walkthrough by Montresor
RANGER STRONGHOLD QUESTS
Having completed the Deaths in the Umar Hills quest, you are offered Merella's old cabin as your own. The cabin comes with some perks; the good people of Imnesvale has stocked it up with supplies for you:
- On the table at (x=540, y=600): 300 GP and a note from Minister Lloyd.
- On the table at (x=450, y=540): a Potion of Hill Giant Strength, 5 Potions of Healing, 2 Antidotes, and 3 Potions of Extra Healing.
- In the box at (x=630, y=390): 60 Arrows, 5 Arrows of Biting, 20 Arrows +1, and 10 Arrows of Fire.
- In the closet at (x=660, y=350): a Composite Long Bow +1, a Sling +2, and a Long Sword +1.
- In the barrel at (x=960, y=380): 40 Bullets, 10 Bullets +1, and 10 Bullets +2.
However, the cabin also comes with some duties. Being the village's Ranger means you have to protect the village from danger.
First Stronghold Quest: Save the Forest from Lord Tombelthen
The first time you return to the Umar Hills after becoming the village's Ranger, you will be greeted by Mairyn, a Spirit of the Forest. Her forests are being cut down by a group of humans and she asks for your help. You must travel to the area where the old Sun Temple stood...
- Go to the Temple Ruins area, and go to the site marked 8 in the southern part of the map. Here you will meet Lord Igen Tombelthen.
- Ask the lord to stop his destruction of the woods. He replies that he won't do so until he finds the family treasure he is looking for. His ancestor, Idras Tombelthen, hid a cache of Mithril in this area.
The lord gives then gives you Tombelthen's Journal (1st Part).
- If you kept Tombelthen's Journal (2nd Part), which you can find in Mazzy's cell at 5 on the map of Level 1 of the Temple Ruins Dungeon, it describes where you can find Lord Tombelthen's stash of Mithril. Otherwise...
- The treasure is at 9 on the map of the Temple Ruins. Go there. You will meet a few Skeletons and Skeleton Warriors. Kill them and then loot the stone setting for a Mithril Amulet and Lord Tombelthen's Note. The note explains that the old lord only found enough Mithril for this one medallion.
- Go back to the present Lord Tombelthen and report your findings. If you offer the medallion to him for free, the party gains 10,000 XP.
If you accept the price he suggests (1,000 GP), the party gains the gold but no experience.
If you try to drive the price up, he will only offer you 500 GP.
If you refuse to give him the medallion, you'll end up with a fight on your hands. Even though Lord Tombelthen drops a Two-handed Sword +1, Full Plate Mail and some other random treasure, it is better to give him the medallion for the extra XP.
- Now go back to the Umar Hills and find the Ranger Cabin at 11 in the Umar Hills. Speak to Mairyn for 21,500 XP and a conclusion to the first Ranger Stronghold quest.
Second Ranger Stronghold Quest: Attack of the Monsters
About four days after the first Stronghold quest, the boy Delon who offered you the original Deaths in the Umar Hills quest meets you when you travel through an outdoor location. Minister Lloyd sent him to tell you that monsters are about to attack the village and that you will have about three or four days to get there!
WARNING: This quest can be buggy! Delon may show up on the map but not actively seek you out. If you miss him, you will miss the quest, and lose your stronghold! It therefore pays to save your game regularly and keep an eye out for Delon when the time approaches that you should get the quest!
- Travel back to the Umar Hills, enter Minister Lloyd's house and speak to him. He will tell you that everybody is safe except for a boy who is now trapped in a cave along with Madulf the Ogre.
- Go to the cave at 12 on the Umar Hills map (it is the one where you also find a Mimic for the Mimic Blood quest). Outside the cave you find a war party consisting of an Orog Leader with some Orogs and Orc Archers. The Orog Leader drops a Bastard Sword +1 and Leather Armor +1. The rest of the enemies drop minor treasure.
- Now enter the cave and speak to Madulf. You gain 21,750 XP for saving him and the boy.
- Return to Minister Lloyd and speak to him again for another 25,000 XP.
Third Ranger Stronghold Quest: The Umar Witch Returns
Four days after the completion of the second Ranger Stronghold quest, you will again meet Delon. He asks you to return to the Umar Hills again and speak to Minister Lloyd. This time, the Umar Witch has returned!
- Go to the Umar Hills, enter Minister Lloyd's house, and speak to him. He will tell you that the Umar Witch has ordered everybody to leave the village. Shepherds have followed her and found that she entered "The dungeon where the Shadow Lord lived". Sounds real familiar...
- To the Temple Ruins we go! Go to 5 on that map, to the entrance to Level 1 of the dungeon. Mairyn meets you there.
- Enter the dungeon and fight your way past fairly low-level undead to the room at 7 where you found the Sun Gem. Here you will now find the "Umar Witch", who is really a Priestess, along with her pet Imp. Kill them both.
Umar drops a Mage Robe of Fire Resistance, Bracers of Defense AC 6, and a Wand of Lightning plus some minor treasure.
- Now exit the dungeon and speak to Mairyn again. The party gains 26,750 XP and a Reputation increase of 1, and Mairyn gives you the Moon Dog Figurine.
This concludes the Ranger Stronghold quests and secures the Stronghold for you for the rest of Shadows of Amn.