Baldur's Gate 2 Online Walkthrough by Montresor
THIEF STRONGHOLD QUESTS
When you have completed the Find Evidence on Mae'Var quest, Renal Bloodscalp offers you Mae'Var's old guild as your own. Your job will be to administer five groups of thieves and do a couple of other jobs besides.
The Stronghold quests fall in two groups: The periodic quests and the one-time quests.
The two one-time quests are described below under Meeting with Ama and The Thieving Thief. Please see below these for the Periodic Quests.
First, of course, you have to take over the guildhall.
- Go back to Mae'Var's Guildhall. Outside is a new guard called Brannel. Greet him nicely if he challenges you; he is only doing his job.
- Now enter the guildhall. At 2, where Gorch used to be, you can now find Rattell. He does pretty much the same Gorch used to do: Runs a shop that functions as a cover for the other "activities" in the guildhall. He will fence anything you can steal. Click here for the shop's initial inventory.
- Enter the room at 3, and Jariel will greet you as the new guildmaster. He advices you on your duties. You have five groups of thieves under you, each with their own specialty. You decide how big risks they should run. Bigger risk means higher potential profit, but also greater risk that your thieves are caught by the city guards so you will have to bail them out of prison.
Each week you will have to come back to pay Renal Bloodscalp's quartermaster. If you don't pay, Renal will shut down the guild and you lose your stronghold.
- Now, set the risk levels for your thieves. You can do that in more or less detail, or just leave them as they are, at low risk. The higher risk, the larger profit, but also larger risk that the thief in question is caught and thrown in prison. If this happens, you will have to bail him or her out, and you won't receive any earnings from this particular group.
- Next, speak to Lathan to check if he has any special problems that need your attention. He doesn't but just then another thief named Ama appears. She introduces herself at the Shadowmaster for eastern Esmeltaran.
- Ama claims she is in town to "deal" with a powerful politician who is becoming too much of a pest. She orders you to meet her in Waukeen's Promenade after dark.
First Stronghold Quest: Meeting with Ama
Ama didn't order you to meet her on any particular night so you can wait a few days before meeting her. However, the next time you go to Waukeen's Promenade the clock will be set forward to midnight and you will arrive at 23 and meet Ama there. But:
- As soon as Ama is gone, Kamuzu – the old man you saved from Mae'Var's cellar – appears and warns you that Ama is trying to set you up. She was Mae'Var's mistress and is plotting revenge for the death of her lover.
- So make sure you're ready, then go to Waukeen's Promenade. You arrive at 23 and Ama meets you. She asks you to wait until the politician arrives.
- Pretty soon the "politician", Sir Greshal, shows up along with a group of Assassins. You will have to kill them all.
- Return to Mae'Var's guildhall and read Lathan the riot act for setting you up like this. He apologizes profusely and tells you of another problem. Which leads to the next stronghold quest:
Second Stronghold Quest: The Thieving Thief
Kretor, who leads one of your thief groups, has a problem. One of the pickpockets working under him is skimming off the profits. He doesn't know which one, though; but he suspects that all the thieves in his group know who it is.
- If you kill them all, Kretor leaves and you'll need to make your quota with one group less.
- If you leave the solution to Kretor, he resolves the problem.
- If you kill one of them to scare the others, the rest of the thieves in that group leave you – including Kretor. Unless you get the right one (which is Darronal Gwin II).
- The best solution: Dock everybody's pay. In a few days' time, the other thieves will kill Darronal Gwin II, and the skimming will stop. Problem solved.
Periodic Stronghold Quests
Besides these two jobs, you also need to return to your guildhall periodically in order to give your thieves new orders and pay your dues to Renal's quartermaster. You will receive a message on the screen each time the thieves are back from their missions and when the quartermaster waits for Renal's due.
The thieves are back five days after you have issued the last set of orders and the quartermaster arrives a few days later. So you'll find yourself running back here every other moment (ironically, in this manner the Thief Stronghold is the closest any of the strongholds comes to a steady job). You can let the thieves wait a few days, but don't let the quartermaster wait more than a day or so, or you will lose your stronghold!
If any of your thieves have been caught, you will need to bail them out of prison. Furthermore, the thief in question will be left without instructions, so you will have to specify new orders for him or her, or they will not make any money for you! As stated above, the higher risk you specify for each thief, the bigger the potential profit, but also the bigger the risk that your thieves will be caught and end up in jail!