Baldur's Gate 2 Online Walkthrough by Montresor
PALADIN STRONGHOLD QUESTS
Once you have completed the Journey to the Windspear Hills quest to the point where you have freed Garren Windspear's child and spoken to Garren Windspear again, he suggests that you speak to the prelate in the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart.
Travel back to the Temple District in Athkatla and find the Order's headquarters at 10. Enter the Order of the Radiant Heart and speak to Prelate Wessalen, who will be in his office at 5. Prelate Wessalen refers you to Sir William Reirrac, who will now be in the main hall. He will be giving you your tasks.
First Stronghold Quest: The Invasion in the Umar Hills
Your first job is to travel to the Umar Hills and assist the Order's knights in fighting back an invasion.
- Travel to the Umar Hills. At the arrival point you will be met by Sir Alynar, who will direct you to where you are needed.
- You are automatically taken to a location near 12 on the Umar Hills map. Your enemies are a couple of Ettins and a few Orcs and Orc Archers. None of the enemies drop anything spectacular.
- Once the killing is done, Squire Elotte will address you and thank you for your help. The party receives 7,000 XP.
- Return to the Order of the Radiant Heart and speak to Sir William Reirrac. For successfully fighting back the invasion, the party receives 10,000 XP.
Second Stronghold Quest: The Baron and the Squatters
However, there is little time to rest for a most noble Paladin. Baron Metrich has asked the Order to help him remove some squatters from his land. The Baron is waiting on neutral ground, in the inn in the village of Imnesvale. Which means the party has to go back to the Umar Hills...
- Travel to the Umar Hills again. This time you are met by a man named Crolus who is to take you to the meeting with the Baron.
Baron Metrich would prefer that you don't speak to any of the squatters' representatives on the way, as this might taint your judgment.
- Follow Crolus and you should find yourself outside the Umar Hills Inn at 4 on the Umar Hills map.
- Crolus' warning nonwithstanding, do speak to Moreno, Pardo, and Brunson outside the inn. They paint a far from rosy picture of the Baron! Apparently he recently acquired the land and has been trying to force the peasants out by overtaxing them and burning down their farmsteads if they couldn't (or wouldn't) pay.
- Now enter the Umar Hills Inn. Lanka will try to kick you out but the Baron intervenes.
- Don't take the Baron's side outright. When you tell what the squatters outside told you, bickering breaks out between the Baron's allies.
- And bickering leads to fighting. You will have to fight Baron Metrich, Sorcerous Amin, a Metrich Footman, and a Metrich Yeoman. Not a big deal. You may find a few Bullets +2 and Arrows of Fire among the loot.
- When you leave the inn, the squatters thank you and promise to try and bring some order out of this story.
- Return to the Order's headquarters and speak to Sir William Reirrac once again. When he questions your actions, tell him the truth – that the Baron was trying to steal the farmers' land – and he accepts your resolution to the matter. The party receives 25,500 XP.
Third Stronghold Quest: The Last of the Morninggales
Now maybe you wished to rest but there is no time for that! An entire family in Athkatla has been murdered by slave traders, except for a young girl named Tyrianna. Your job is to protect her until the next morning when her godfather will pick her up and bring her to safety. The girl is now in a safehouse next to the Temple of Oghma in the Docks District.
- Go to the Docks District. The safehouse is the little house at 9, between the Temple of Oghma and the Barracks.
- Enter the safehouse. A knight named Franco hands over to you with some relief, as you shall soon understand.
- Tyrianna appears and immediately shows that her personality fits her name. Tell her to get back upstairs.
- After a short break, she is back to tell you she saw someone outside. Tell her to get her butt back up and to stay away from the window.
- Several assassins enter and you will have to kill them all. Try to keep True Seeing active to minimize the risk of backstabs, and make sure not to let any of them get to the stairs!
- Once all the assassins are dead, Tyrianna appears again and complains about the blood on the carpet. She also informs you that her godfather is now here to fetch her. Again, tell her to get back upstairs!
- Enter Hurgis Baltezan, Tyrianna's godfather. Or so it would seem. Except that he can't prove his identity, and Tyrianna hasn't seen him since she was a baby. Hmmmm...
- Actually, there is a 50-50 chance that he really is the godfather, or an assassin. Handing Tyrianna over to the assassin would get her killed and cost you your stronghold. Refusing her to her godfather will create so much trouble for the order that they will have to boot you out as well. So, you need to figure out whether "Baltezan" is really what he claims to be.
- Use your Detect Evil ability. If "Baltezan" is revealed as evil, he is really an assassin. If not, he is what he claims to be.
- If he is evil, tell him you're not handing over Tyrianna. When he turns hostile, kill him. Then go upstairs and speak to Tyrianna again. She tells you to go back and report; there will be no more attacks this time. The party receives 5,000 XP.
If he is not evil, go upstairs and tell Tyrianna to start packing.
- Return to the Order headquarters and speak to Sir William Reirrac. For your services to the Order, you receive a Large Shield +2 and the Pride of the Legion +2. The party also receives 25,000 XP, and your Paladin abilities are improved.
Also, if you did not kill Firkraag in connection with the Journey to the Windspear Hills quest, he offers you one more job:
Fourth Stronghold Quest: Retrieve the Holy Avenger
If you didn't kill Firkraag, Sir William Reirrac wants you to end his evil and also rescue a Holy Avenger sword which Firkraag currently holds.
- Travel to the Windspear Hills. Go to the dungeon entrance. You may run into bands of low-level monsters on the way.
- Enter Dungeon Level 1 and be prepared for more low-level monsters (Orcs, possibly Vampiric Mists).
- Go to Dungeon Level 2 and make your way to the entrance to level 3, fighting your way through more monsters. There may be some new undead at 7 and golems at 21.
- Prepare yourself for the meeting with an angry dragon, then go down to Dungeon Level 3. Since Firkraag doesn't notice you yet, place your party strategically, then speak to him. Or just attack him to get his attention.
- The hard part: Kill him! ;-)
- Loot him for the Holy Avenger Carsomyr +5, Red Dragon Scales (which Cromwell can forge into Red Dragon Scale Armor), a Scroll of Control Undead, Cloak of the Shield, 1,500 GP, and some minor loot.
- Make your way back out of the dungeon.
- Go back to Athkatla and go to the Order's Headquarters. Speak to Sir William Reirrac for 33,000 XP, and he also lets you know that he could think of none more worthy to wield the Holy Avenger than you! Now, ain't that nice? :-)
And that concludes the Paladin Stronghold quests.