Baldur's Gate 2 Online Walkthrough by Montresor
THE MURDERS IN THE BRIDGE DISTRICT
The first time you enter the Bridge District in Athkatla, Lieutenant Aegisfield accosts you and warns you that there is a murderer on the loose in the district. And he is murdering paupers and skinning them while they are still alive!
Aegisfield tells you that Faraji, a street urchin, found the latest victim. And both old Rampah, one of the beggars in the area; and Rose, a street woman, have had narrow escapes.
With that, Aegisfield goes off to make his rounds (but you can always find him at 2 in the Bridge District). And you can go off to crack the case for him!
- First, speak to old Rampah at 9. Turns out he didn't see anything. But he found something. And for 100 GP, or a few select threats, he will give you an Exotic Hide.
- Next, speak to Rose Bouquet at 10. Pay her little fee (20 GP) for a bit of her time. Turns out she didn't see anything either, but she smelled something that reminded her of Guril Berries.
- Go to the marketplace at 11 and speak to Bel Dalemark. Ask him if he can identify the Exotic Hide you got from Rampah. Bel tells you that it is elephant hide. He doesn't know who would have it, except maybe a tanner. You could ask the tanner who lives nearby. Hmmm...
Also, ask him if he has anything that smells like guril berries. He will give you three things: Guril berries, oak bark, and solik berries. Guril berries are used for ... intimate ... afflictions, solik berries for mumbleberry pie, and oak bark is used by tanners for curing hides.
- Go back to Rose Bouquet and ask if she recognizes any of the smells. She recognizes the smell of oak bark, which a tanner might have use for. Hmmm...
- If you go to Faraji at 18 to follow up on the lead that he found the latest victim, he will tell you as much. He is also eager to finger Mrs. Cragmoon, a local woman whom he calls a witch, for the murders. Mrs. Cragmoon can be found at 21 and denies any involvement in the case. If you take this suspicion back to Lieutenant Aegisfield, he will also deny that Mrs. Cragmoon should be the murderer.
André Slupik has told me that if you turn in Mrs. Cragmoon to Lieutenant Aegisfield for being a witch, she will disappear from the area after a few days, and you will be attacked by an adventuring party (not a difficult fight) lead by a certain Strachan who will drop a note indicating that Mrs. Cragmoon expects to be taken by the Cowled Wizards and that he should avoid seeking you out for revenge (apparently he didn't take her advice).
- You could go back to back to Lieutenant Aegisfield and tell him of your findings. If you do so, he will go to ask the tanner a few questions.
Still, one of your companions will suggest that you should not let the lieutenant go alone. So...
- Whether or not you spoke with Aegisfield, go to 14 and enter the Tanner Shop.
- Rejiek Hidesman confronts you inside. He tells you the shop is closed for lack of materials. Confront him with your findings, and he will realize the game is up – and flee down the stairs. The party gains 23,250 XP.
- Follow Rejiek down the first flight of stairs. Rejiek quickly runs down the second flight of stairs. Before following him, have your Thief scan the area for traps, then loot the place for anything worthwhile.
If you reported your suspicions to Lieutenant Aegisfield, you will find the body of the unfortunate lieutenant in the chimney at 5. Bring it along.
If you are planning to create the Human Flesh +5 armor, you'll need to bring along the Human Flesh which you'll find under one of the beds at 7. This is only relevant for evil parties.
- Before going down the second flight of stairs, prepare for a moderately hard battle.
- When you arrive at the landing, you are confronted by a Mage named Vellin Dahn who quickly teleports away, leaving you to fight two Ghasts and two Rune Assassins. Kill the enemies and loot the place.
- Since Rejiek has made his escape, go back up through the Tanner Shop and exit to the Bridge District.
- If you didn't talk to Aegisfield before going to the tanner, he will still be at 2 in the Bridge District. Go and speak to him. The party receives a reward of 45,000 XP, 500 GP, and a Reputation increase of 1.
- If you did speak to Aegisfield, take his body to the Council of Six building and speak to Chief Inspector Braga at 4. The party receives the same reward of 45,000 XP, 500 GP, and a Reputation increase of 1.
The case is not quite closed, though, with the evil tanner still on the loose. If you go to Trademeet and solve the Djinni in Trademeet quest, you can get the Skin Dancer in Trademeet quest which will allow you to rid the realms of Rejiek Hidesman once and for all!