1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bug fixing

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by MindChild, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

the best way to reach me may well be PMs if i dont respond here (And since in a week i get >3000 spam messages in my email)

Latest version modified: 19 Jul 2012 (changed patcher, nothing else)

**UPDATES at bottom of post**

ok, heres what i've been doing:

I programmed a dll (well, modified one of the dlls used for Diablo 2 modding over at the phrozen keep http://www.d2mods.com/). it will load into memory when my modified IWD2.EXE is loaded. It will apply changes to the game from there.
    All options can be enabled or disabled seperately through a simple, easy to understand text file.

so far i have made the following modifications to IWD2 through this system:
    • Paladin of Mystra now gets Wizard && Sorcerer as allowed classes.[*]Allow Paladin of helm to multiclass to cleric of helm.[*]Moved Multiclass Allowance check into my DLL. Now new Allowances can be set or disabled for paladins and monks. (only for level ups of course. this means you can disable leveling up in monk of the old order if the character gets too much charisma...i mean, if people like you, they remember you, if people remember you, they notice you, if people notice you, its hard to sneak around...which is the basis of the rogue class). Or, you could change class allowances, say you think that paladins of mystra should be allowed to multiclass as druids (i dunno)...you can do that.
    • Enabled Skill point saving on levelups[*]Moved Feat AB check to my source (the check to see if you have Weapon Finesse and then applying the correct stat (str or dex) to your AB roll is in my source now so they can be modified.
    • Completely reverse engineered Feat Requirement checks. addable feats are now within eyesight :p (made my own "use int for Attack bonus instead of dex or str" for testing, worked fine just takes editing feats.2da, feats.ids, and of course adding code for it.)
    • Weapon finesse is now allowable for any weapon you are focused in (2+ dots) as if someone spends the time to focus a given weapon, you'd think they'd master its weight mm?
    • Monks can wear robes and keep their Wisdom bonus to AC AND their bare handed AB...i mean, how much can robes really inhibit you?
    • Druids can cast Nature's Ally Spontaneously just like cleric can do with healing spells ^_^ (make sure to include the SPONCAST.2da file in your override folder).
    • Rogues can now use multipliers instead of dice rolls for sneak attacks (feats modified to reflect necessary requirements)
    • Enable Cheat keys on load, with config file setting
    • remove "favoured" classes (set all to "Any")
    • Remove ECL penalties
    • change max level and exp (requires other people's 2da files to work fully)
    • fixed bug that caused monks to have less AB (unarmed) due to wearing robes (and crash associated with said fix)
    • fixed a bug that would give high dex chars with weapon finesse a bonus with ALL weapons :(

Future fixes and options:
    options for Far Future:
    read Kit restrictions from file
    Bypasses ITEMABIL file to make ALL item requirements used (needs some bug fixing)

:nono: Improved initiative is implemented already it just doesnt do much as i said in a previous post, so, it wont be "fixed". it does exactly what it says it does and i wont make it do something it should not.

üüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüü NEW üüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüü

• GOG users can now join the club! welcome!
      for everyone else, new option: 0=1 (thats zero equals one) is a no-cd mod (does nothing for gog users)
    üüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüü

version 1.5.0 (yay the first one with a version!)

If anyone has a fix or change they would like to see here

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    Riiken and lefuet like this.
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Of course, SP will host it.

3. Borsook Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Great job! As for new features:
    It'd be nice to add spontaneous casting for druids (summoning spells). And I suppose that reintroducing 3d accelration as in IWD1 is not possible?
    PS.Improved initiative - I can't find that post about it, any link? I thought it didn't absolutely anything, this can't be fixed?

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2022
  5. MindChild

Its been updated a little.

@Borsook - I added spontaneous druid casting just for you (summoning spells :p )
    And as far as 3d acceleration...yeah...no clue where to start or how that works

may have taken like...2 years? but ive been busy with life stuff in other states :p

Also, due to a recent post on usefulness of rogues, i added an option for attack multipliers to be implemented again.

[ April 13, 2007, 08:40: Message edited by: MindChild ]

6. Sir_Toejam Gems: 1/31

Bypasses ITEMABIL file to make ALL item requirements used

uh, was this a requested feature???

I sure hope not, because any multiclass characters have now lost the ability to use items they previously could.

for example, a cleric/fighter can no longer use cleric wands or scrolls. Moreover, use magic device skill is now completely worthless for bards and thieves.

Is there a way to turn this off??? there appears to be no way to do so in the config.txt file.

otherwise, all the other changes seem to work fine.

7. MindChild

this is what happens when i'm narrow minded in my play style X_X

ok, thats been disabled for the time being.

Also, another update, you can now set max level and exp in the txt file (as well as remove ecls and/or favoured classes for all races...you can do this in the 2das for diff ecls or favoured classes). Just make sure you have the proper files for spell gain and bonus feats etc otherwise the game may break. I dont specialize in 2da formulas or PnP knowledge but there are a good few who have looked into it and made such files.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  8. Sir_Toejam Gems: 1/31

thanks mucho!

my game is now complete...

9. thecustodian Gems: 1/31

Hey
    Nice mod, but I think I'm going to uninstall it:
    I noticed that it does seem to have affected what items my multiclassed characters use... my nice new paladin/sorcerer can't use the magic missile scroll he uplifted from that naughty Mr Phaen. Also I seem to be having trouble equipping larger crossbows on my punier, bardic characters.
    I'm afraid I haven't spent enough time analysing the problems to give a better idea of the problem, though.

I also noticed that there's now an echo on all the sound effects. It's not a major problem but it was unexpected. Anyone else notice this?

Anyway I will play around more when I have the chance and see if there are other item-equipping problems.
    Cheers

10. MindChild

yes that seemed to be an effect i was just recently notified of with the item requirements, that has been removed and those bugs dont exist anymore (as far as i've been informed)

I noticed an echo on BG2...to fix it i had to go to my sound effect settings for my sound card and change them back to normal (it seems bg2, even after closed, caused echos in ALL my sounds X_X)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  11. Scofield77 Gems: 1/31

hi all,

this mods seems to make some great improvements, so I tried to install it.
    first of all, when extracting I get a warning from my virus scanner (avira antivir). however, I ignored this issue, assuming the virus scanner is reporting false positives (see also here ) and continued.

unfortunately, when I opened IWD2customdll.exe and click on "patch it", the following text appears:

PatchFX v1.30
    =============
    opening IWD2.exe...OK!
    performing crc-check ................. failed!

PATCH WAS NOT APPLIED!

has anyone encountered this problem or has a solution to fix it?

cheers,
    sco

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Have you installed the official patch first? It might be required... you can send MindChild a PM here too to see if he can help.

13. Scofield77 Gems: 1/31

thanks a lot, taluntain, problem solved! I had to install the offical patch, then installation went smooth.
    and thanks mindchild for this nice mod, my monk will like it ;)

14. kylan271 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I use this mod and I am VERY HAPPY......................^_* Appreciated.

15. MindChild

Well, i'm glad it's still getting its use. If anyone does have problems or suggestions, feel free to PM me and i'll take a look at it.

16. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    comment on dll fix

Dear MindChild,

I used your custom dll fix, and appreciate your work. I didn't manage to disable the finesse alteration, though I did follow instructions. I resorted to using the old IWD2.exe to create characters starting with Weapon Finesse, and switched to the dll-ed exe to play the game.;)
    Also I must say that the dll doesn't work on 32 bit systems, only 16 bit.
    Anyway thanks for the fix, it's very handy for my monk.:)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  17. MindChild

well, this is a bit troubling considering...i havent seen a 16 bit system in a LONG time (windows 95+ is all 32 bit...do you mean 64 bit?) The program must be FULLY updated to 2.01 AND cannot have been edited by ANYTHING ELSE.

the weapon finesse thing...what exactly is the problem...
    Ah, nevermind, i see it. It seems when i coded the finesse requirements i didnt add a check for the config file >_<

You have to be focused not just proficient in a weapon (any weapon)...ok

let me fix that then.

EDIT: done, fixed...me thinks...try again

And i will ask you to remove the program you posted at the other forums as 1: you didnt ask first (i'm a stickler for that kinda thing ya know...perhaps i want it to be a sorcerers exclusive ;) ) and 2: you distribute things that shouldn't be distributed (mainly, an EXE only included in the purchased game that has been cracked with a no-cd crack which promotes piracy.)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  18. coineineagh

Media:
    Rectification

Understood, It'll be removed from all fora by the time you read this.

I apologize for distributing your material.
    For the record, I did ask you, months ago - I sent an e-mail to the address in the readme ('lorilith').
    But I'm glad I could inform you of the Finesse problem.
    As for the 32bit error message; it's something I got on my IBM notebook, but not on my home PC. My solution was to copy the fixed version to my notebook. Assuming this would be a frequent problem, I thought it would be important to offer an alternative to other players. I haven't seen any talk on the fora about this, though, so maybe it's just my problem.

I hope there are no hard feelings, I just wanted to help out.

19. MindChild

hm, if you did ask, it must have been moved to junkmail (alas, the constant fight on spam).

What error were you getting on the IBM with the dll patcher?

20. coineineagh

Media:
    error

All PCs are 32bit systems? - boy do I look stupid...

It was something like:
    ERROR: This program was designed for use in a 16bit subsystem, and cannot work on a 32bit system.
    It's probably got to do with the special IBM software, I guess.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.