1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Zardoz

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Caradhras, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    There comes a time in every man's life when he realizes that he may have been wrong due to preconceived ideas, misconceptions and prejudices.

In my unrelenting quest for the worst movie ever made I've stumbled onto several veritable little gems but never in my wildest imaginings would I have pictured such a momentous event as the discovery of this movie.

For years I have been biding my time, waiting for an opportunity to see Zardoz.

The fact that it had been directed by John Boorman who shot Excalibur and The Tailor of Panama should have lead me to surmise that it was more than what it seemed:

[​IMG]

Looking at Connery's outfit and looks in that movie did not help mitigate the misconceptions I had harboured ever since I've heard the first disparaging comments about this movie.

After watching it I can safely state that never in my life had I been more wrong about anything. Zardoz is a masterpiece, a phenomenal movie. It is thought provoking and clever, weaving metaphysical themes in such a way that these themes cannot be dissociated from the story that is being told.

It's pure science fiction in its highest form. It's a cult movie. It's probaby one of the few instances when cinema becomes art...

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Seriously? I mean, I've heard about the movie, but like you, Connery in that suit kind of discouraged me. Is it that good?

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    They don't make movies like this anymore. If you can ignore the costumes and focus on the story you may enjoy it. I first watched it thinking it would be something that would be easy to mock but there is a certain depth to it. You just need some willing suspension of disbelief to enjoy what it has to offer.

Of course it doesn't hurt if you're into science fiction from the 60s or the 70s or if you liked Excalibur or other movies by John Boorman.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.