1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yuan Ti?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Cap'n CJ, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    In our campaign, the group has been fighting a lot of Yaun Ti lately. Anyway, we've decided to take 2 weeks out to train and relax a little. In this time, my character has developed troubles. His skin has peeled off on his arms and neck to reveal scales, and they're spreading onto his shoulders, chest and back. His tongue is starting to become thinner, and he's noticed his legs have shrunk a little. Basically, he's becoming a Yuan Ti. I wasn't aware that being bitten by one caused this. My question is:

Is our DM overstepping the line a little?

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

My opinion: not if he allows this condition to be cured/reversed.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

My opinion: yes species-wise you'd need a massive magical curse for it to work

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I can't speak for 3e (if that's what you're playing), but in 2e that's a definite no. The only two ways to be a Yuan-Ti are through breeding (eww) or a specific "blessing" from their snake god like the one that made the original Yuan-Ti; a simple bite wouldn't do it.

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The way I see it, this ins't like lycanthropy. This is a race change. It just seems impossible.

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yuan-ti have a variety of different origins, world dependent, but you can only become a tainted one or brood guard through non-divine/biological means. If he's turning you into a tainted one or brood guard, you'd have to have consumed a magical potion of types before you could change.

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    To my knowledge, I haven't taken any dodgy potions.

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well... any chance the DM has decided to give you the snake-blood feat in retrospect? I mean, if you have it it might manifest, but normally players are in control of their character's biographies. Still, it might be his style to "uncover" something like this, and it has potential.
    Aside from that, I don't think I've ever seen anything that indicates that a human can become a yuan-ti without being born one, or without divine interference. Baleful polymorph or reincarnation at least (reincarnation must be the wackiest spell of them all...raise dead + a russian roulette).

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Why argue about how yuan-ti work in canon? I believe that the DM should have the authority to do something like this so long as it's reasonable to get out of it. (Besides, who's to say that your character's transformation is necessarily caused by being bitten by a yuan-ti?)

Again, I don't exactly see much of a difference between this and the DM saying: "Your head feels really light spending time in that cave with the weird mushrooms. You lose one point of Intelligence," so long as this loss can be cured.

If you really have a problem with it, why not just talk with your DM out of the game about it?

[ April 08, 2006, 00:55: Message edited by: Oaz ]

10. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Oaz there has to be a rationale behind it as well for it to be reasonable, i.e. powerful curse, dodgy potion. It's not human to humanoid but human to ophidian completely different genus never mind species.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Why is being bitten, in a fantasy setting, lessof a plausible medium of transformation than a curse or potion? Would you object to the historically traditional "if a werewolf/vampire bites you, then you become a werewolf/vampire"? I personally think such a medium of transformation is appropriate thematically.

Also, I seem to remember a reptilian monster from one of the Monster Manual does something like this. Maybe it's connected with the Yuan-Ti.

However, my original answer was not whether this follows setting X in one way or another. I simply said that I didn't think the DM was overstepping his bounds with respect to running the game unless the transformation was permanent.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It's not less plausible, and you even show that yourself with the werewolf and vampire examples. But the Yuan-Ti simply don't have those same powers to transfer their curse by bite as others do; that's all there is to it.

However, that does not mean I think the DM is out of line; there's still plenty of wiggle room even in canon. If you remember, one of the ways to become a Yuan-Ti is by the divine "blessing" of their god. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't a lot of clerical 'harming' spells delivered by touch, without any real restriction on what isn't a touch? Maybe the Yuan-Ti was a priest (or simply a "chosen one" or something like that) channeling its god's blessing.

Whatever way it happened, the fact is that it happened. But if CJ doesn't like it, he should take it up with his DM. Players should have some say too, or else the game stops being fun.

13. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've thought about this a lot, and i've decided to see where this goes. I'm at least going to find out what's happening and why, but I might not get it cured if it could be beneficial.

14. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I love it when my DM pulls stuff like this on us! It tends to make the centre of the campaign the players in stead of his dungeons or monsters or NPC's. It gives the chance for some excellent roleplaying (does your character tell this to the rest of the party or does he hide it for as long as possible, will he welcome the change into a new race or try to stop it, how does the rest of the party react to this change, do they still trust one of them who is changing itno a possible enemy?) and a character driven plot.

I don't think he is out of line, it would be something I would probably pull on my players, just to motivate the players who aren't in the spotlight a lot (because they get outshined by other players, for example).

Tell us how it works out, won't you?

15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I ended up cured. Confided in the party cleric, and we got it sorted :)

16. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

How? By a special quest or a simple Remove Curse? Give us the story :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.