1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Top 5 Artists

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Barmy Army, Dec 12, 2006.

1. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't really have any particular favourite bands...although I've always liked Live (even though I've only listened to like, 2 albums...) and more recently Fahrenheit. *^^*

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Does it have to be 20th century artists, or am I allowed to enter these?

1) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    2) Ludwig van Beethoven
    3) Johann Sebastian Bach
    4) Johann Strauss Jr.
    5) A close race between The Beatles, The Alan Parsons Project, and Mike Oldfield.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This oughta be fun:

(1) Led Zeppelin- Definately the best band of all time, but the gap between them and the next has shrunk. I've probably heard them too much, so it evens the field.

(2) The Beatles- Whether it is just their music or the inspiration that they provided it is all good. The fact that I enjoy (almost) all of their stuff, from pop-ish (Help album) to their early Rock.

(3) Neil Young- I am truly not into the message that he preaches, but the music is amazing. He's not much of a vocalist, but he is a tremidous musicion.

(4) Pearl Jam- I really can't think of a reason I like them this much, but it is probably related to the fact that I my brother continiously played them. Eddie Vedder has a great voice and the band has good chemistry as well.

(5) David Bowie- There's something about him that you can't help but enjoy listening to. He is probably the only artist I know that can make space songs work... plus he plays the saxophone.

Just Missed- Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, and The Smashing Pumpkins (I'll explain when I have time)

[ February 22, 2007, 06:53: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    In the Realm of Rock:

The Beatles
    The Who
    The Police/ Sting
    Yes
    Bob Dylan

Others: Led Zepplin, The Cure, Heart, Grateful Dead, U2....

Regarding Jazz:

John Coltrane
    Miles Davis
    Pat Metheny
    Dave Brubeck
    Bill Evans

Others: John Scofield, Cannonball Adderley, Sonny Rollins, The Yellowjackets, The Rippingtons (yeah, I've always liked their early stuff, so sue me), Art Blakey (another really good drummer) and Stan Getz.

T2 - Buddy Rich? He was pretty good, but Louie Bellson is better IMHO.

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/keepitlive/drummers/belson.htm

Also, John Coltrane is probably as influential as any of those you mentioned in the realm of jazz (and all of them are great). You just can't have a list of jazz greats and not include "the Trane." It just wouldn't be right....

5. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In no particular order:

Pop/rock:
    Alan Parsons Project
    Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)
    Elton John
    Elvis Presley
    Lara Fabian

Classical:
    Josh Groban (ok, he is a cross over)
    Il Divo
    Placido Domingo
    Puccini
    Verdi

6. Steel General Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

1) YES
    2) Rolling Stones
    3) Blue Oyster Cult
    4) Jimi Hendrix
    5) The Who

7. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

King Diamond
    Iron Maiden
    Death
    Opeth
    Candlemass

8. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hmmmm

1) Michael Jackson
    2) Johnny Cash
    3) Elton John
    4) Cranberries
    5) Nirvana

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

At the moment, and in no particular order:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Live
    The Cat Empire
    John Butler Trio
    Guns N Roses (Spaghetti Incident and further offerings notwithstanding)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.