1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Obad-Hai, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Hey guys! This is my first post yeah!

Anyways I was thinking of soloing and had a couple of questions. I thought of some classes that would be good choices. Give me your thoughts on which one would be best and any input about races or items and profs.

1. Wizard Slayer - good magic resistance, can become a tank! I was thinking of out fitting her in the balduran equipment.

2. Inquisitor - good against the undead (lots of them) and be able to take out mages as well.

3. Avenger - cool spells, some pretty sweet spells and that doom + chromatic orb combo is killer!

4. Swashbuckler - excellent thief skills, formidable (sp) fighting skills as well.

Thanks so much!

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Wizard slayers get really knocked but they can be very powerful. The thing they are best for is interrupting mages spells. This even works through protections like stoneskin. There was a good thread about this - EarlGray (or grey) took a Dwarven WS solo, so try searching for him.
    Race: Dwarf (dual axes/hammers) or Elf (swords/bows).

Inquisitor - I would be more inclined to go for Undead Hunter as they are immmune to hold and level drain which is very useful.
    Race: Human only (2H swords).

I really rate druids and they get very powerful after level 15. Going solo you'll reach this quickly. Avenger could be pretty awesome - Doom and Chromatic Orb are powerful against certain creatures, plus the Druid has someof the best anti-mage spells in the game.
    Race: Half-elf (Staff).

Swashbuckler is okay. Going solo, I would prefer the Assassin, as you'll level quickly enough to make up for the lack of skill points - plus the Poison and x7 backstab would be awesome against enemy mages.
    Race: Elf or Halfling (Sword and Bow)

Basically, any class can be done solo and actually has been. The Blade has been a very popular class as well.

Solo, is very good for multi-classes. Especially some sort of mage and thief combo - M/T or F/M/T or C/T.

3. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] First of all..welcome to the boards!!! :roll:
    You know...from all you posted above...I prefer the Inquisitor and the Wizard Slayer! But I would say that you use or a Monk or a Sorcerer. But it's your choice.
    Make sure to spend a lot of slots in the Two-handed Sword proficience if you're agoing to use an Inquisitor!! :thumb:
    Another thing...the combo of Doom + Chr Orb is really powerful..but you'll see that a high resistance to magic will dispose you of this little fun, unfortunetly... :aww:

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I would say that you should use the Undead Hunter. The immunity to hold is very nice( immunity to level drain you can get from a necklace). And there's surely a lot of undead in this bloody game :D

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yes, Undead Hunter probably has the most useful advantages of the Paladin kits. So I´d go with him if you go Paladin.

Dont give much for druids.

Thief - Swashbuckler is cool, but I made an Assasin the other day to try out the x7 backstab damage. And yes, 171 is alot more than any mage can withstand so I´d take an Assasin before any Swashbuckler any day.

Haven´t really tried the WS, but IIRC, they get 1% MR/level. Without XP cap remover you´ll get to what, 17 or 18 as a fighter and that isn´t really a lifesaver. Might be better than Kensai, but I doubt it. And after reading another post I now realize that there is no way that they could be e ven close to a Kensai. WS sucks - Period

My choice of these would be the Assassin, but be aware, you´ll need pretty much skill and experience to take a thief around because not all battles can be begun in stealth mode.

My overall choice would be the classic dualclassed Kensai/Mage. (Yes, I´ve changed my mind regarding the Dual Classing ability)
    But that is far to overused yet still probably the most powerful character you could get.

[ July 22, 2003, 23:04: Message edited by: Duke Eltan ]

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The MR is still nice though, 18 (1 per level) + 10 (neclace)

Uggh :bang: Ive got a blank, well there were quite a few Items to increase MR so that you can get it up to 50 or so.

7. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Wizard slayers are losers: they can't use magical items (except swords and armors), and their magic resistance isn't really great thing at all. Causing spell failure is the only good thing in them. If you want good magic resistance (and other nice abilities), you could try a monk.

Inquisitor is good choice, because there are so many fights with mages in the game. Undead hunter isn't worth it: you can get immunity to hold by using one magical sword (can't remember it's name) and to level drain by amulet.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Which isn't useable by paladins. You can get the immunity by level drain by using a certain mace, though ;) .

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Really? I thought I had my inquisitor wear it. I'll check it out later tonight though.

Thankyou Rastor, for ripping to shreds my anti-undead hunter argument ;)

:edit:

hmmm, it looks like it wasn't this thread I posted in about the amulet, so that comment wasn't aimed at me. Oh well, thats at least two of us that think pali's can use it

10. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@ Harkle : it's only rings, amulets and cloaks that he can't use (maybe bracers?) - this isn't that much to lose. He's still got all that really cool armour, helmets, shields, boots of speed and weapons.

The disrupt magic ability is very good. You only have to hit to cause disruption - as a high level fighter you can hit almost anything and after a couple of rounds the enemy wizard has 40-50% spell failure.

Plus, in TOB the MR gets better - not just 1% per level so check it out.

11. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, then wizard slayers are better. I trust too blindly in walkthroughs and guides. I still think that Wizard slayers aren't so good in SoA, because they will get only 38 % magic resistance.

Anyways, thanks for clarification, I might even try Wizard slayer one day.

12. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

They are very frustrating at times as there is some really cool equipment that they can't use. I think at the end of SOA they only have about 18% MR and by the end of TOB it should be about 80% MR.

I prefer them more from a role-playing point of view, as they just seem a cool class to play!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.