1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your playing view

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The whole point about RPG is taking the role of a fantasy person and to be that one. In BG or IWD it doesn't feel like I am that person, but more like controlling it as in a strategy game. In Might and Magic, I can't just tell the person to go over there and do some magic or whatever. I have to do it myself. It's more RPGic that way. ;)

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I often try to imagine walking around with the group as a kind of ghostly character. Trying to feel how it would be with sounds, smells, feelings and all. This is easier when I have an isometric view to zoom in on in my imagination. If I could just rotate the screen I would be pleased.

3. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

So what if your party members said no to your comapnd. Every one here I think knows that when you play BG1 you tell the other party members what to do and they do it just like you would. But what if they had their own thoughts. Like when you say go pick up that sward they could tell you no. You could better reasion to kill them, hehehe. Think about it. If you were evil then you could justify yourself better, "He said 'No' to me! Thats why I killed him!" That would be better I think. What do all you think?

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't like party members with their own ideas of doing things. Because inveritably, the PC's way of doing thigs will always be the stupid way of doing things. It's not that most of the time they have different ideas about what to do and what not to do than you do. After all, their AI likely wouldn't be that complex, unless you ordered a lawful good character to rob the orphanage or kill the Paladin or it was something specifically scripted to a situation. It more boils down to "why in the nine hells is he attacking the druid while I'm surrounded by fighters" or "why in he walking through the lava pool just to get to the other side?" That's the main problem with party members that for the most part are independent thinkers.

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

First person is possible... But then you should play Solo.

6. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well My opinion has already been said.

IMO First person vews and Parties dont mix.
    but then again I prefer statagy and never figered out and form of FPS so I may be a little off from objective here.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Headbanger: How can you play anything else but solo in 1st person? So in Might and Magic you have four or up to five in M&M 8, but they coorporate as one except from when attacking or wielding magic.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited November 09, 2001).]

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

This is an D&D forum so I'm looking at this through D&D glasses. 1st person sucks when you play in a party for you can't see the other party-members. Playing solo from first person a more poosible thing but a D&D game where you can play solo only will never be made... So let's just stay on 3rd person... When we wanna play 1st perosn we can alsways download the Quake 3 demo.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.