1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Least Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Falstaff, Jan 13, 2003.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Rallymama, you have a point about Lovecraft. I even agree. But keep in mind that the man was breaking new ground. If you look at some early experimenters with the novel form of writing, you'll see that they, too, were a little on the clumsy side (people like Daniel Defoe, the guy who wrote "Pamela", the 19 century Brontes, Horace Walpole). All classic, all clumsy and ineffective by today's standards.

As for Salvatore, for his target audience (8-16 is my guess) he's fine. He lost me when he spoke of Drizzt thrusting with a scimitar. How the %&*^ do you THRUST with a curved blade? I mean, theoretically the move is possible but the person so doing wouldn't last very bloody long.

[ February 08, 2003, 16:17: Message edited by: Depaara ]

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Icewind Dale books by Salvatore and the first Shannara thing.

MfG

[Please see the forum rules on the prohibiton of use of signatures.] -Tal

[ February 23, 2003, 20:48: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Any of that Mills and Boon crap

4. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The salvadore books defineltly, the first two books were really good but the moment you abandon action, comedy and wonder for deep drama (Buffy, Angel, Xena, Farscape) you tend to annoy the people who bought your books in the first place.

5. Evro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Baldur's Gate. IMO the worst thing ever put to paper.

6. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Probably the worst book I have ever read is either Mirkheim by Poul Anderson or the two Baldur's Gate books.

7. Jaird Gems: 1/31

Personally the Sword Of Shannara books annoyed the crap out of me. He used the same plot-line over and over.
    Ooh...there's a huge evil...main character must fetch such and such an item to stop it meanwhile discovering that they can do magic.
    I'm still not sure how he's managed to publish so many in the same series. I'm kind of curious to read something else he's written to see if it too has the same plot, but I don't really care that much.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Brook's recent books that are set in our world but with demons and knights that fight them are pretty good. Alot better than his Shannara books.

9. Jaird Gems: 1/31

thanks for the info, I'll look into those. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.