1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Least Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Falstaff, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

2. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Spine of the world by R.A. Salvatore...

that was pure crap. now I'm readin Servant of the shard and it's very interesting with Artemis Entreri and the drows but, a story about Wulfgar, who cares?

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Nabokov's Lolita. I suppose it was a "good" book in the sense that it's certainly powerful, but I was physically sick reading it and had nightmares for weeks afterward. I forced myself to read it because it is considered one of the "great" works in our culture and I felt like a philistine for hating it so much. I just can't understand people who talk about it being a "love story". I didn't see that at all. I would call it a horror novel.

4. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] The Sabrina books. They aren't even funny, are repeated all the time and are just stupid.

Sprite:What was the horrible thing about
    'Lolita' then? I am a little thing from a small country and I don't know kabonkers.

5. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Anyone read Diablo's novel Bartuc something?
    It is the worst book i've ever read.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So many bad books ... I just try to delete them from my mind.

I really hated the Soul-Forge Books by Weis & Hickman. No real chemisty in the characters.

I really hated "The Pillars of Creation" by Terry Goodkind. I'm a huge fan of the Sword of Truth books, but this one hardly had the main people in it, and was a huge disappointment.

ACT! for Dummies was a waste of money ... but I kinda guessed it would be ;)

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Eze,
    Lolita is concerned with an older mans attraction to a much (read illegal) younger girl.

8. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

It's called (rough translation): "Canoes and small waves". I read it beacuse it's part of a good collection of books about the seven capital (is that correct?) sins, of wich I liked most of the books, except for this one, the worst book I ever read...

9. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I agree with Tal, "Baldur's Gate" and "Baldur's Gate II:SoA" by Phil Athans almost made me give up reading (not really, but you get the point).
    Randall Wallace's books are starting to bug me too, since he's an obsessive melodramatist.
    I don't much like anything by Troy Denning either, since he *always* kills off the wrong characters.
    Elaine Cunningham's drow books are also, IMO, quite bad, simply because she humanizes the drow way too much.
    Oh, and "1984", that book was incredibly dull.

10. Velcro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Of the books I actually finished, my least favorite is "The Two Towers."

11. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

:evil: The worst book(s) I have ever read are the Rhapsody trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon. At first it was pretty good, but the characters kept doing things that were out-of-charcter and so useless and stupid that even after the 50 pages she would write to explain the brainless acts, you still had no idea why it happened, or how it could happen. :bang:

12. Rathanel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

By far the worst book I ever read was the book about Sturm from the meetings sextet in dragonlance. That book was absolute crap in every sense of the word. (I have fortunately managed to purge its title from my memory. Outside of that, most of the DL books not my Weis and Hickman tend to the horrible, but not much else struck me as that bad (although Weis and Hickman's new series comes close).

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

"The ghost of thomas Kemp", just terrible. I had to read it three times for english. The story sucks, the characters are dull and the ending is pathetic

14. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Luthyen's game by Salvatore (don't know the name exactly)
    maybe it was just the translation, but names stolen from JRRT, damna ad bestias...

And Number of the Beast by Heinlein was pretty bad too...

[ January 31, 2003, 17:35: Message edited by: ArrynMorgerim ]

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I thought Friday was much worse than Number of the Beast (not that that book was very good, mind you).

16. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Anything by Salvatore. Drizzt is not so much a ranger as he is a mega-ninja.

Never heard of a mega-ninja? I hadn't either, pal. I hadn't either.

17. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

The Elminster series. They have a super wizard(Elminster) who does absolutely nothing about his family in the first book and get worse from there. Also they skip to much time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  18. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

For books i had to read for my university degree, "Mauve Desert" and "Ana Historic". These two books are, bar none, the biggest pieces of crap I've ever encountered. Pretension, stupidity, cupidity, density, and unintellibility to the nth degree. My degree cost me in $$, but it also surely cost me in brain cells, about 2 million of which died during the course of reading these two books.

For fantasy, Lyndon Hardy's "Master of the Five Magics" had a really fascinating idea, that this guy just bored to death. He managed two sequels, and I managed to plow through about 30 pages of the second one before throwing in the towel. A definite "do not read."

19. Twinkle Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Everything by Salvatore.

I won't start essaying about the uh... /bothersome/ Drizzt, only the laziest haven't expressed their thoughts about him by now, and the reasons are understandable.

Still, I hate everything the man writes because he treats the reader as if he was a complete moron. I mean- he exaggarates all the time, and sticks in those annoying expressions like: "The horrifying idea" and such.

Man, would you be so kind and PRESENT this idea and then leave it to ME to judge how horrifying- if at all- it is?

Yes, I know I'm... er... not as successful as a writer in comparsion to Salvatore so probably I shouldn't go teaching him how to write. Still, I can't read anything by him. Sorry.

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Interesting assessment. I've never read Salvatore, but your description is almost identical to my reaction to Lovecraft. He's supposed to be the master of horror, but his stuff never even gets me NERVOUS, let alone horrified. He spends too much time telling me how horrified I'm supposed to be and not enough time having actually scary things happen. :sleep:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.