1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Least Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Falstaff, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

[​IMG] You got it - what is the worst book (in any genre) that you have ever read (and why!)

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    In general, I don't like anything by Robert Heinlein or Michael Moorcock (excpet for Gloriana) - go ahead and flame away, it's MY opinion and it coats me in asbestos. :p

As for specific, individual books, for me little tops "The Traveling Vampire Show" by Richard Laymon or the three Flat Earth novels by Tanith Lee. The former is a drab piece of juvenile junk that puts the characters into some potentially-interesting situations, then cops out with lame actions that bring no real resolution. The latter detailed events by completely unlikeable, irredeemable characters with almost no connection between them. I got to the point that I simply didn't care about what happened here, and I threw it out - this crap wasn't even worth donating to a library.

Then there's "Moon Music" by Faye Kellerman. It was a fascinating detective novel with a great set of characters that was spoiled by a really silly ending.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Actually when I read a book I don't like I just put it aside and not read it.

Now which I read and don't like is: Baldur's Gate the novel :(

Blech that was a stinker :mad:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think Athans' Baldur's Gate takes the cake as the worst novel of all time that I've read. Not just in the fantasy genre, but among all the novels I've read.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I've a mind to say the words "Robert Salvatore" in this post, but I'm considering trying his books again.

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Krondor Series by Feist.

Writing a book based on a videogame is a bad idea.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Uh, Faragon . . . he wrote the books long before he helped write the video game. BTW, are you talking about the same series (Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, a Darkness at Sethanon, and Silverthorn)? If so, I hardly think they qualify as the worst books.

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

No, I'm talking about these books:

Krondor: The Betrayal
    Krondor: The Assasins
    Krondor: The Tear of the Gods.

Wether he wrote them before or after the game, it sure reads like he ripped it straight from the game. He's written far better stuff (Referring to the Riftwar Series)

9. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The worst book I've ever read so far was Pamela or virtue rewarded! oh my goodness never had to read such a stupid book in my entire live!! (I had to read it for school!)

The next in line would be WOT 6-8! Jordan finished up and don't stretch it any further because of the money you can make!!

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Faragon - my bad. I didn't think much of those books either. (I still wouldn't put them as worst ever though. I couldn't plow through the Helliconia series by Brian Aldiss with a two foot wide shovel. Those are the only books I own that I was simply unable to read from sheer boredom. It went something like this: page 56, zzzz, try again at page 56, zzzz -- repeat a dozen times and crash.)

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Silent Blade, what a snore. Also POR:ROMD the book, that was just pathetic. 'Oh no, we're nice drow, we'll let you pass' :rolleyes:

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Pawns & Symbols-deathly dull Star Trek
    The Hobbit-the rest of his books were great, but this one really annoyed me.
    Baldur's Gate-I put this one in my fireplace

13. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The Old English verision of Lord of the Rings, I can understand one in ten words, Lord of the flies, and To kill a mockingbird.

14. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] For me it has to Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope. It's hailed as great social comedy and a classic of English Literature but I just found it utter rubbish. I read the whole thing solely so I'd be able to tell people how bad it was without being fobbed off with the 'ah yes but you didn't read it all' counter argument.

In an attempt to show how unfunny it was, I bookmarked all the pages that had something funny on them. There were three bookmarks in the whole novel. One of those was along the lines of a baby saying 'cooo ccaa gga gaaggaaa' or something, so not really that funny. For years afterwards I used to be able to quote the 3 page numbers of the funny sections.

What made it worse was the author seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Dickens. He keeps putting in snide comments to try and make fun about Dickens characatures (as opposed to characters) with lines something like 'As I'm sure the earnest Mr Dickens would say....' The problem being that Dickens can be funny when he wants to be, Trollope seems unable.

Still, there was one positive outcome, whenever I see anyhting unfunny pretending to be so, I can describe it as 'utter Trollope.'

Actually there was another...... 'Danny Yates Must Die' by Stephen Walker. I picked this up in an airpport as it looked quite promising. Again, sadly it was written by someone who thinks that being weird is the same as being funny. Utter rubbish that I read to the end as I had nothing else to do and kept hoping it must get better. I was intrigued to see how badley the plot would be concluded (I wasn't dissapointed). To find the Author's name I had to look it up on Amazon. Scarily it gets some good reviews there but I prefer the one that describes it as 'puerile nonsense with no semblance of a plot.' Couldn't have said it better myself.

15. EarthSam Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Demon awakens by R.A Salvatore is horrible.

16. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] Mills and Boon...they're gross!

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein

The first part of the book was pretty good, but when they left Jubal and joined the circus, I found the book extremely annoying. I tried to finish it, but finally gave up.

18. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Who has seen the wind by W.O Mitchell.
    A book about wheat, wind, and more wheat.

[ January 14, 2003, 16:43: Message edited by: Thorin ]

19. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I think the worst book I've read would be the Sea of Swords by R.A. Salvatore. Even though th Dark Elf and Icewind Dale books were great, this one is just crap. I mean come on, five people attacking a stronghold full of Ogres, half-ogres and pirates, and they don't have any problems! And, even though there has been no mentioning of healing potions in any previous Drizzt book now they find one just in time to save Drizzt. The book is horrible!

20. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Terry Brookes' "Sword of Shannara". It is not the worst book that I have read, but it is certainly the most annoying since it is a copy of Lord of the Rings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.