1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your feelings about Saddam's execution

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

yay, another moment to be proud of in the US occupation of Iraq...

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

They won't release a film showing someone been killed? I guess it would be to far out to suggest it might be respect for the dead and the deads family. I know if I got hung I wouldn't like people to be able to play the footage over and over again on their computers. Guess it also raises the question, why would anyone WANT to see someone been executed?

I'm not saying that I think they've done the right thing, as I hate the thought of the death penalty - who are we to give out death? Death is never right - to kill someone for a crime makes you worse than them, for not only are you a murderer, you're also a hypocrit. And of course crimes like that should have been trailed at the internation court (the name eludes me), not in some democracy which, not only is berely hanging on by its nails but was also the place where these crimes were committed.

[ January 16, 2007, 08:49: Message edited by: Rotku ]

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The comment was made for the release of the tape, not for entertainment on Youtube, but for an independent scrutiny by a human rights group, or somethng similar to find out what actually happened. Without the covert cell phone tape of Saddam's hanging would we know what really happened in those last momnets? Or should we just believe everything the government tells us, especially this government?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yet another reason to lose weight.

Reminder to self: Go on a hunger strike if ever sentanced to hanging. Heaven forbid an execution be a bit messy.

As I mentioned before -- these guys should be killed in the same manner they killed others. A quick death is letting them off easy.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    If I was a real conspiracy nut, I'd ask who selected the rope length that resulted in the decapitation of Barzan Ibrahim. There is a British table (and probably American) that relates it to weight and height (long live empiric studies).

Why wasn't it used? Why was the video released? This is calculated savagery designed to inflame.

The alternative explanation would be sheer incompetence on the Iraqi part, but I guess they, too, know a thing or two about executions.

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Okay, thanks Chandos for clearing that up. Releasing to a select group to make sure human rights were kept makes sense; releasing publically on YouTube like that phone video recording was on the other hand is a different story.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Does it? There is a good point in saying that capitol punishment is a human rights violation already. To make it public in order to ensure this particular violation is 'played by the rules' sort of defies the spirit.

However, for that joke to crack you need to accept that death penalty is a human rights violation.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It is only a good point if an innocent person is wrongfully executed for a crime. In the instance when a murderer is caught dead-to-nuts, then I think it is very logical that fire is met with fire. However, there is a case to made that there are many who are wrongfully accused of a crime and are punished wrongfully, which makes the state no better than those who are supposed "criminals." If anyone doubts that innocents are wrongfully accused, take a gander at this story:

It is just amazing that the justice system is this flawed. But then there are all those "slimy" lawyers tying to get all those "criminals" off the hook. :rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16710829/

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Just couldn't care less anymore...alright, we get it...the US rules the world. Give it a rest already...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.