1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your feelings about Saddam's execution

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, Dec 31, 2006.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The execution, as such, does not bother me too much. Normally, I don't support the death penalty, but in cases such as these I think it's not too harsh. However, the trial before it did not, imo, was not proper justice. The defense was imo too hampered, and many of the most important crimes of the regime - against Iran and the Kurds - were not touched at at all. Seriously, when the regime has probably killed around a million, to sentence him for less than 200 is more than a little incomplete.

As for my broader views on the entire situation, I believe they are known well enough.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Sickened, angry.

3. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm annoyed that he was executed, but I don't particularly care that he's dead.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Saddam was a despot who killed his own people and was ultimately killed by them. I have no remorse or regret that he is gone and the world is a better place with his passing.

The method of his death was decided based on his culture. I am personally for capital punishment but would rather see criminals put through the same pain and torture as their victims. IMO Saddam got off easy, he should have been exposed to the same chemical warfare agents he used on the Kurds. His skin would have burned, his lungs liquified and he would have died in immense pain. Equity.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What I have been hearing in the news -- that the US ambassador tried to delay the date of the execution -- really suggests that it was less the US who rushed this and executed him, and more the Shiite factions in Iraq.

I mean, really, when the executioners begin chanting al-Sadr's name as Saddam dies, you see that the execution is a spectacle, but not a US spectacle.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't agree with anyone hanging, but I couldn't care less that he's dead.

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I don't care to watch the video. It is enough that he was tried, convicted and the sentence was carried out swiftly and without any unnecessary delays. It could do with less fanfare though...

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

He deserved a fair trial. He was going to get executed anyway, but I guess bringing up certain subjects in court would cause many countries much embarrassment :rolleyes:

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The death penalty and especially the way this execution was done appalled me quite a bit. However I feel no sympathy for Saddam or his cronies.

10. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Ambivalence for his death.

11. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

They could have at least allowed him to finish praying, which they apparently didn't do, judging by the video and the translation I've read. Not saying that he was a good person or anything, but it was still wrong, anyone should be able to finish a prayer before dying.

12. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I can't feel bad that he died.

The spectacle his execution was turned into makes me sick. The Shia could have waited until the man was dead before celebrating. Killing a man in the middle of a prayer seems wrong too. Would a few seconds have mattered?

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Under the circumstances, the situation could have been handled better (What sort of person videos an exicution?) but I think he got what he deserved. It was eather that or he would rot in prision for the rest of his life.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Maybe interesting for some to see how the Israelis feel about Saddam's death: Israeli Experts Say Middle East Was Safer With Saddam in Iraq
    Maybe sometimes justice is a secondary concern over the price tag attached to it.

15. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i find myself wondering what saddam thought would happen after his death. im sure he expected his followers to carry on in his name, and that he would reach martyrdom among his own people. but i doubt his wildest dreams could have imagined what he has become.

16. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

"Under the circumstances, the situation could have been handled better (What sort of person videos an exicution?) but I think he got what he deserved. It was eather that or he would rot in prision for the rest of his life."
    @ The Magister:

Did you ever happens to watch a documentary about the trial of German High Officers in the WW2?

It makes me think if the whole thing was a joke, and don´t misundertood me, because only the germans who weren´t usefull either the reds or the allies were judged and executed.
    The rest of them were warmly holded by the victorious goberns, not to mention the commoditties of a house, a job and a "free out of jail card" for any german scientist(and believe or not they are also as guilt as the next officer for all the montruosity of that war.
    So, what in the hell have to do an "objective" group of american people, just to "observe" a "fair" trial of an iraki "assasin".
    How do you explain,they just moves the date of the execution.The fact that the power in the US senate was about to to change has nothing to do with it?
    If I remember correctly, there´s still 3000 dead american soldiers and NO execution will bring them back.
    So when you say "he got wath he deserve":
    I say : are you sure that are none other guilt to share?
    What about the over 600 000 iraki people dead since the beggining of this "raid for democracy"?
    Did Saddam kill them too?

17. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Very sad for the always increasing pace of human fall to barbarism.
    The whole thing just showed how animals we can be and are, especially when the circumstances demand to show our humanity.

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Another botched execution - this time it was Saddam's half-brother. Yep, another fine example of "freedom and democracy on the march" in Iraq....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16629656/

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How was it botched? The bad guys are dead -- that sounds successful to me.

Executions are a regular occurance in many cultures (including the middle east), how is that an example of 'freedom and democracy on the march'?

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This may be what happened:

Yet, some are saying this:

You can choose whichever you believe, because when the government is not arresting people for taping it, they refuse to release the film for independent scrutiny, for whatever reason. Wouldn't want the public to know what really happened, or allow them too much scrutiny - that would be just plain "democratic."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.