1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favourite Dragon Age Origin?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Caradhras, Dec 31, 2009.

?

What is your favourite Dragon Age origin?

1. Dalish Elf

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Mage

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Human Noble

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. City Elf

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Dwarf Noble

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  6. Dwarf Commoner

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I played a trashy Noble female character and well; it does make it quite entertaining; especially when you tease Alister about his virginity.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I've played only one female character. Teasing Alistair was too tempting, especially with a kinky elf like Zevran hitting on my Dalish warrior. :p

3. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Oh you should play female PC's a bit more often... just some of the reactions you can get... wheeeeeee! lol

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

It is also interesting to see the different type of reactions you receive vs. the same PC playing as a male.

One thing I noticed is the Dwarf Noble origins you don't get to talk to Gorim when in the deep roads like you can with a male PC.

As for playing a female human; I believe the story fits better than a male human especially since most noble females do not adventure into batlle like their brothers.

5. Caradhras

Media:
    That or as a second son you're just a spoiled brat.

6. CelticDream

Media:
    Spoiled brats can be derlishus when sauteed with a bit of nug.

(Yes, I know I spelled delicious wrong... did it on purpose! :lol:)

7. Caradhras

Media:
    I have replayed the Dalish origin and I have to say that once you manage to ignore Tamlen's recklessness (or act like him) it is rather nice. It feels a bit short though compared to other origins and you may feel shortchanged in the long run (you don't get an opportunity to visit your clan later on). Still, it has a certain epic quality as your character is most certainly not just another hunter but feels rather special. Besides, the whole "Native American" thing that is at the core of the Dalish way of life works very nicely.

I picked a Warrior and I certainly didn't regret that choice when I got to the dialogue with Pol (the runaway from the Alienage). One line made it clear that thieving was not something the Dalish condoned. I find that interesting as most players probably see a Dalish Elf as an archer or a scout, i.e. some sort of Rogue when there is a strong case for playing a Warrior (your character is certainly the clan's most prominent hunter something that makes sense for a Warrior).

What annoys me is the absence of spears. Hunters would use spears and never swords or axes (although axes are indeed useful in a forest). Weapon selection in DAO is a bit limited unfortunately.

8. CelticDream

Media:
    I agree with weapon selection being a bit limited. What about halberds and pikes? Especially with one of the party conversations between Oghren and Wynne when he's talking about Alistair swinging his pike around and Wynne thinking the wrong thing...

9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm guessing Bioware ran short of time to create the animations for all of the traditional weapon types. I certainly do miss not having spears. It's really just swords, axes, or crushy weapons for melee guys.

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Swords 1 handed and 2 handed
    Maulers - 2 handed hammer
    Maces
    Hand Axes
    Battle Axes
    Last but not least - Daggers

The game has a total of 6 different types of weapons.

How about armors...

1- Light - Leather and Studded Leather
    2 - Medium - Chain, Splint, and Scale
    3 - Heavy - Plate & Heavy Chain

For armors you have 7.

Than you coud always go around in your undies or wear noble clothing, etc..

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I might have over generalized on the weapon options, but when I said swords I meant to cover long swords, 2 handed swords, short swords and daggers. Axes covered hand axes and battle axes. "Crushy" weapons covered maulers and maces.

Technically plate armor is its own category, called massive armor, rather than heavy.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I was just pointing out that DAO had very limited armors and weapons. The nice thing is you get the piece match the armors.

13. Rook Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I recently bought DA:O and this thread has provided some very interesting reading :D

I have played almost all origins now:

I completed Human with a male, dwarf noble with a male, dalish with a male, magi with a female elf and played halfway through city elf with a male. I haven't tried the dwarf commoner yet.

My favourite is the Dwarf Noble followed closely by the Dalish Elf. I really enjoyed them because you can get really into character, I played both of them as characters who are nothing like myself in real life, which is great fun.

With the Human noble, I'm pretty much able to play that with the same personality I possess in RL (wealthy, but nice, respect for the family and pretty much everyone you come into contact with, sheltered upbringing etc...) so its what I went for first, but ultimately it was the most disappointing for this very reason. Oddly enough, your father calls you Pup, which is what my parents call me in RL too, quite annoyingly considering I'm almost 30 :mad:

I felt the mage origin had a lot of walking around not doing anything (i generally walk in RPG) it took as long as the other origins but you feel like you didn't do much other than walk around and read stuff (thats what being a stuffy mage is all about I guess).

I see a lot of people here like the City Elf origin the most, but I found it cringeworthy, yes lets go on a massive killing spree (against trained soldiers with my complete and utter lack of martial experience) over a girl I was saying I didn't want to marry to everyone I met in the last 20 mins. Well, I can see there is no other option (you can't call the law which would I guess be the standard response if you were a Human, because an alienage Elf means nothing to the society) but really, to resort to some huge killing spree would have to mean my character was some kind of nutcase.

I have a question: If you play a female City Elf do you get dragged off to the castle with the other girls? I only ask because I see there is a DA:O wallpaper with a girl in a bloodied wedding dress holding a knife? If so I might just have to go back and play it again, because that would be a much more awesome start, considering I always like to play the reluctant hero (the male willingly going up against an army of trained men isn't exactly a reluctant hero role).

The Dalish start is brilliant and you really get to get into character and RP here. Right from the start you face a difficult decision (slay them or let them go), I decided to really get into char and slay them. I was so happy when Tamlen totally agrees with you and doesn't make out like you're being harsh or anything. I don't find anything wrong with Tamlens personality like others do, so he touches a mirror, big deal, he is young, curious and naive just like my own character. Thats why we check out this cave in the first place, we have that feeling of invulnerability about us that some young lads have, afterall we didn't think anything of slaughtering 3 unarmed men about 5 mins ago, why should we think twice about touching a mirror. We don't think about consequences and only I survive to learn a lesson about that :D I like the role of reluctant hero and with the Dalish origin you can play this out right to the end, I begged the Keeper not to cast me out, I'd rather die with my clan than go and live with the humans, but ultimately I had to pay for my actions as Duncan invokes the right of conscription. The cutscene as you leave is so much more touching if you *really* didn't want to leave your clan.

The Dwarf noble was my favourite and there is so much room here for some rather amusing roleplaying. I decided that while at heart my dwarf was a good guy, he has been so molded by his upbringing that his personality is that of a complete and utter bastard. The fact that you have Gorim following you around gives you a great chance to act this way. If anyone less than nobility addresses you, ask Gorim "Why is this man addressing me Gorim", "Because he has forgotten his place, My Lord" brilliant :D "Gorim, tell the Guards I'm ready to leave", "Gorim I am not to be mocked, you forget your rank", "Gorim, have this man killed and make sure everyone knows why".... so much fun. Also, the fact that when fighting Trian my own character killed him by doing that finishing animation, spinning around and cutting his head clean off, then your father bent down next to the headless corpse stuck in my mind for the rest of the game. Despite the fact that I had been fooled by Bhelen I still had a great pang of guilt for beheading my brother and as I entered the Deep Roads I wasn't thinking "Damn Bhelen for this", I was thinking "this is what I deserve" (with that image of Trians head flying off in front of my eyes).

Anyway, thats how I felt about the origins. I actually enjoyed them all, just some more than others and DA:O is turning out to be my favourite game in a long time. I can't believe I put it off for so long because I was unaware you could zoom out to the tactical view like in Baldurs Gate, darn. lol

14. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I liked the dwarf noble, and human noble the most. Its a matter of taste, I think. Weak spot for dwarves - plain and simple.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I like playing Arcane Warriors, so I do the Circle Magi one most often.

However, on sheer literary merit, I'd have to say the Dwarf Noble is the best one. A rude awakening on just how dirty and treacherous Dwarven politics are in the Dragon Age world.

And you got to see intimately what a right bastard Prince Bhelen was. In some ways, even more evil than the Darkspawn, most of whom are acting on feral instinct, in contrast to the thoroughly calculated and cold-blooded evil that Bhelen represents.

Kinda like that quote from Aliens:

"Ya know Burke, I honestly don't know which species is worst. You don't see them ****ing each other over for a percentage."

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Right now I’m playing a Human Mage. The reason being is after I completed DAO, DAO – Awakening and the DLCs that follow DAO – Awakening I will play DAII. I picked Human Mage origin, because Hawke is related to the Human Mage origin character, cousins I believe. I did this so that if DAIII lets us pick between our DAO or DAII character or both together it would be a family reunion of sorts.

I still have not play from beginning to end the Elf Commoner origin or Dwarf commoner origins. As in a previous post all origins are AWESOME and provide plenty of gaming hours.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I completed my DAO run and now I am Chapter 3 of DA2. With all of the patches completed to DAII it is a much better game than it was a year ago.

18. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not a bad game as long as you don't compare it to DA:O.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  19. argento-dtw Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

DA2 is one of the few games which I have here, installed, yet unfinished. I just don't manage it. Too boring.

Regarding the current topic:

I have played all the origins, but finished only two of them, namely the Dalish Elf (which I have roleplayed as a Nazi, racist elitist) and the Human Noble.

Both were quite fun, each in their way.... I have teased Alistair, treated Zevran & Leliana as sex slaves with the Elf ( which was female :D ). It was also fun to play as a warrior with sword and shield as well as with bow (well.. I've found ranged weapons to be quite nerfed).

The noble Origin has that fantastic feeling when you finally get to slaughter Arl Howe (I was a DW warrior, my favourite class for this game), although I'd have expected a much better dialogue.

Yet.... there I have the feeling that the Dwarf Noble Origin could have much additional depth. I never read walkthroughs, so I have no idea if you get to be the king of orzammar or what. It just seems so "gameofthronish" :)

20. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I know this is an old thread, but I'm surprised I haven't replied to it. I had a hard time choosing between the Mage origin and the Dwarf Noble origin. I eventually went with the Mage one because I love the Harrowing. I like rituals and I also like the Fade. My favorite "main" quest is also the Circle quest, and I also like the Fade options for Redcliffe.

Both the Mage and Dwarf Noble origins are long, also (another criteria), and they have a lot of interesting moral ambiguity. You never really know if you're doing the right thing. I think that's the main reason I didn't like the City Elf one as much: it's too clear-cut. Some evil jerks steal the women to rape them. What's there to worry about, morally? Obviously, you have to protect the women (and yourself if you are one).

The Human Noble suffers a little from the same problem, plus it's shorter. But I like some of the side quests with the Human Noble, especially the one with the dog. I also liked the betrayal and what it means for the family as a whole.

Dalish elf was fine and interesting. It also is fairly clear cut, but on the other hand, the darkspawn really are evil, and they're the whole point of the Grey Wardens, so it wasn't as irritating as the City Elf in that regard. On the other hand, I think it's the shortest, and it doesn't really stand out to me.

I really liked the Dwarf Commoner, but I don't remember much about it. I remember that I liked the Mage and Dwarf Noble more, but not why. I liked the interactions with the guy, and the uncertainties about loyalty. And yes, entering the Proving as a casteless was great.

I didn't notice any differences playing as a male vs. female, but I'll have to run through again to see. The origins are one of my favorite parts in the game, so that's not a problem. I also agree about there being a Human Commoner and a Mage Apostate origin. Those would have definitely been interesting to try out as well. I can see a lot of interesting possibilities.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.