1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Favourite Country (After Your Own) - As Regards People!!!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Well, I don't actually like most Americans anyways... (every once in a while, a good one comes around), but I really like Spainards and Costa Ricans. Very nice people. Especially if you try to speak spanish. They get wonderfully excited, because they do not expect many people from other countries to speak their language (i think that is the reason), so they try to help with anything you get wrong. Great, nice people.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...I can't name just once country. So I'm going to go with all of Europe, *except* for France and a very select others due to hostilities towards Americans. I can't find my Canadian flag pin, so I wouldn't be able to avoid any hostilities. :rolling:

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would have to go with the Australians and New Zealanders - I have found them to be typically friendly, cheerful, down to earth, and fun loving.

i would actually have to say that Americans would rank fairly close behind that - there are some bad apples in any bunch but on the whole I have found Americans to be very friendly and welcoming. I am sure that there are quite a few Americans who live up to the arrogant, rude and obnoxious image but the same can be said for just about any nationality.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm from Canada, and I have to say Americans. We can make fun of them all we want, and if they get pissed off, then we can remove our name from the map and they'll never find us...

Edit: Rick Mercer joke aside, They really aren't as bad as the international community views them. I kind of identify with those among them that would class as rednecks...

5. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I always wanted to go to Canada ;)

6. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would say Japan, but I'm just weird. They got some crazy stuff going on there.

7. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Austria, definitely. Great slopes, friendly people. Oh, did I say they had great slopes :hmm: :shake:

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Its impossible to pick one country, but here are some that stand out.

England - Having grown up a strict Catholic in the 80's, I was almost 'programmed' to hate the English by my 'fellow' Republicans, but thankfully my parents were open minded and taught me to judge people as individuals, rather than popular stereotypes. I have lots of friends that are English, and I don't hate England at all. I have many great memories of going to concerts, checking out the museumns and art gallaries, and generally being made to feel like I am very welcome over there. The English are not so bad when you get to know them :D

I have never been to Japan, but these are the nicest and most friendly tourists that visit Norn Iron. They are always respectful and have a genuine interest in our culture, yet have a crazy side when you get to know them. Nightlife would not be the same without them.

Being part of the UK, I can say Ireland, though we are culturally different (believe it or not), we have fun, taking the piss out of each others accents, and have great admiration for each other. I like their even more relaxed attitude and open-mindedness.

Spain is simply the most wonderful, beautiful country that I have ever visited. They are the most relaxed people that I know, yet are far from lazy. I just wish that locals would show Spain the same respect that they show us.

[ October 13, 2005, 09:47: Message edited by: Cúchulainn ]

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm one of the lucky people in that during my working life I've spent a lot of time abroad.

During the first 5-6 years of working I visited most of western Europe and also went to Berlin when it was still divided and East Germany before unification. I then moved to South Africa and worked in most countries from Kenya down and visited the Seychelles, Mauritius and Madagascar as a result of my job. Travelled to the US via South America to report to my bosses. The ultimate though was when I had to go to Antarctica to fix some equipment and train some people in its use.

I then moved back to England changed careers and now do contract work in the last few years Belfast, Dublin and America.

Every 3 years or so I go on a six month holiday which usually means South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and US/Canada.

The nicest people I have met on these travels are in no particular order the Zulu, the Dutch, the Navajo and the Maori. :cool:

The nicest country I have visited or worked is New Zealand for sheer diversity of climate, geologic features in such a small space it can't be beaten. :D

10. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Probably New Zealanders and Australians for me - probably because there are so many in London and they're all great folks. I wouldn't say I've had enough interaction with other nationalities to judge them fairly, however the Germans are very friendly.
    Unfortunately I suffer from Japanese and American tourist syndrone. Would they please just move along the platform.

11. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Hmm well I always heard the Irish were very friendly but on a recent visit to Dublin I wasn't impressed they were very rude, shoving you out of the way all the time. That's when you saw an actual Irish person, Dublin seems to be populated by the chinese! The Northern Irish would have to be my favourite people they are so friendly :)

12. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Quite a difficult question. There are quite a few places I could picture myself living in, but I'm going to go with Norway. I know swedish so the language would not be all that difficult to learn and I'd be fairly close to home.

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That's an easy one, the English.

I've had several English colleages throughout my 9 years of being employed at the Heineken breweries, mostly Londoners, some where staying here forgood, others were looking for an income, because in england they couldn't find what they were looking for, and one of em was on the run for the law and his wife's family, since he, being a Chelsea supporter, beat up his Tottenham loving wife over some silly dispute. :shake:

Each and everyone of em were topclass characters, and i still have a good contact with two of em, even though we don't see eachother anymore. They've learned me how to digest an English breakfast, which isn't easy for us Dutch. :D We watched footy in pubs, got drunk, got high and most of all, had lots of fun.

There's only one thing that still amazes me, what's up with the "crisps on bread" ? The first time i saw them do that i thought they were just being drunk and silly, but they were dead serious and said it was a delicacy.

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I must say I like the Dutch, Belgian, Spanish and the people of England quite a bit. Although the Dutch and Brits can be somewhat 'reserved' when it comes to Germans. :p That spoils it for me. Those damn twelve years...

Also, I was impressed with the people of Turkey and Gambia... especially the Gambianese. Poverty makes them greedy when dealing with tourists, but once you get through to them you havent actually much money to spent, they will be very likeable, relaxed folks of such vitality it makes you envy them.

However my most favorite nation would have to be Greece (Laiwethel :wave: ). Though some of them seem to be, well, lets call it extremely proud, I havent met such a great, friendly and hospitable people before, or after. Them I hold in highest regard... but certainly wont let it show when I am around them. No gain in having them start wildly rotating with national pride, yes? :p

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Bhutan, Germany, and Poland, in no real order.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I haven't heard a bad word about chinese, japanese, or other asian people, but their governments tend to be very strict, so I can't really name those as my "favorites." :hmm:

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Here's an easy way to learn how to spell Slovenia. Just remember it's got LOVE inside. Slovenia. :D

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've always like working with folks from Oz.

But I love Aruba.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Dendri, we were reserved towards Germans because we could never beat you in football. Times have changed so we like you now. :grin:

20. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Dont begin the frolicking just yet. Before you know it, your football players start spitting again... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.