1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Favorite Non-Fantasy Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Falstaff, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hangtime, behind the screens in the life of Michael Jordan.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm generally into thrillers so I'll pick my favourite from there:

Alistair MacLaine - Night without end.

Just the title is enough. Excellent.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I don't even remember when I last read a non-fantasy story book.

4. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The best non-fantasy book I've ever read is probably Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Other than that, the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was good too.

5. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    The name of the rose by Umberto Ecco.
    Wonderful book about life in an abbey in the Middle Ages. I especially like it that parts of Latin text alternate with the (in my case) Dutch text.

They made a film based on the book, but I've only seen a short fragment, so I don't know if it's good or not. Has anyone seen it?

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found the movie to be pretty good, Sean Connery and Cristian Slater does a good job. One of the better murderstories I have seen.

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Sean Connery is in it? Nice. I'll rent it sometime.

8. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

but the book is way better!

btw did you read Baudelino as well? very good as well!

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Uytuun, did you make it through Foucault's Pendulum?

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    [QUTOE] The best non-fantasy book I've ever read is probably Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein [/QUOTE]

that's exactly what I was going to say!

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Rallymama, I don't remeber having read that name , but I guess it's just called something else in Dutch. Either that or I just don't remember. :shake: I've read the entire book, so I guess I made it through Foucault's Pendulum as well. What was it about?

Aegron, no, I haven't read it yet, but it's on my to-do list for the Christmas holidays. :)

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Also sprach Zarahustra (Thus spake Zarahustra) - Nietszche
    The art of war - Sun Tzu

These are the only (non-fantasy)books i enjoyed reading, ....but! I´m definitly gonna try "War and Peace", "Heart of Darkness" and "The name of the rose".

[ November 27, 2002, 21:00: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I just finished "Heart of Darkness". Amazing story. If you like Conrad, you may wish to read "Youth". Excellent story.

14. William Smit IV Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Catcher in the Rye does it for me. Oh yeah, and despite the picture of John Travolta on the cover, Battlefield Earth is frikkin awesome.

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I like Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin, and Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.