1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favorite new rules (from core and expansion rules)

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by dwayne, Mar 12, 2002.

1. dwayne Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

OK, what are your favorite new rules? What rules are you glad they added and why? What changes are you glad they made?
    Any changes they should of made or new rules they should of added?

2. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I like the whole Skills/Feats versatility thing. This allows the player to create unique characters with more variety.

The combat system changes are also very good. It is much easier to simply roll a die, add your bonus' then compare to AC.

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think *all* the changes they made were in the better direction. They could've changed the silly spell memorization system (for some reason all magic users in our gaming group have been sorcerers since 3rd edition came out) and I still think armor should *reduce* damage, not just help avoiding it (that's what dex is for).

4. dwayne Gems: 1/31

Actually, clearly armor reduces damage, in the short run, that is why it makes it harder to deal damage to someone. although, yes, you might argue that armor should reduce the force of a succesful blow, thefefore reducing damage. But, we don't want too much detail. I like the current system, after all, armor is about avoiding being hit, not reducing damage suffered (although it obviously does this).

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I think there were a lot of smaller changes that were good for the game, but there are three that truly made it a better game for me.

First, removing the race/class restrictions. That always bothered me, and this allows for players to be truly creative. For me, this is probably the biggest difference to the game. I think it's great that a player could have a Dwarf mage, or a gnome ranger, or anything else. And the limitations of favoured classes make sense as well. For role-playing, this has to be one of the best rule changes in my opinion.

Second, adding the skills and feats, and making them such an important part of the game. Again, not only does this allow for greater creativity on the player's part, but it puts the focus back on role-playing by allowing them to create the exact character that the player has in their mind. And, unlike the skill proficiencies that have been in previous editions, these really make a difference to the game, and to how a character develops.

The third change I really like is simplifying the combat system. No more THACO!! No more sitting around looking at charts trying to figure out if that 16 you rolled did anything. It's great to know right off the bat.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well since I'm only familiar with the second edition cocept of kits from the Baldur's Gate series, I'll still post my opinion here anyway ;) I like the system of prestige classes. It makes much more senes in my opinion to work toward a more specialized character than starting off your gaming experience with a kit. It's something to strive and train for, and it just all around makes more sense for most types of prestige classes.

7. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

For me, the way they do multiclassing now is a huge improvement. It's now much easier to be a fighter who knows a little bit about arcane magic, or a cleric who can do a little scouting. Rather than the old way, where you have to be equally focused on magic/fighting/thieving/whatever, and you can't even do it if you're a human.

Also,the save mechanism is so much better it's not even funny.

Cullain

8. void Guest

I definately like the new combat / save / skills system, along with the fantastic feat and skill system, aswell as the new multiclass and prestige class rules and of course the three new classes, basically I LOVE THE WHOLE THING :) !

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] There were so many improvements it's hard to know where to start. I think having a skill/feat system is a vast improvement of NWP from 2e. Create the concept of simple, marshell and exotic weapons was better than the old slot system. Saves had been improved, Prestige Classes, item creation, armor use by mages, multi-classing, balanced XP, Challenge Ratings for encounters, Base Attack vs THAC0, etc.

The list goes on and on. 3E is just tons better than 2E.

10. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I love how the combat flows, it's so smooth. I also really like the new multiclassing.

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

combat, definitely combat. It's sooo easy now :)

basicly every thing got simple, so by removing the A from AD&D they did a great favor to newly interested people who doesn't have a whole lot of time to look into it. Like me! :)

12. dwayne Gems: 1/31

Yes, combat was one vastly improved area. But I like the new magical item creation rules, anyone else?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.