1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Favorite Martial Arts Style?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Researcher Jon, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Running here. Running beats melee weapons, running beats firearms (if you get out of line of fire / range), running is equally strong no matter how many people you're up against. If a million people fought against you with their bare hands even, no amount of swordfighting would save you. But if you could run faster and longer than any one of those million people, then the amount would do them no good.

If we really go into martial arts though, I've done Judo, Karate, Kickboxing, Thai-Boxing and Krav Maga. And I have to say, wether because I'd done those other things before or because Krav Maga simply is that good, I gotta go with that. It's not pretty or fancy, but its damn practical. What I'd like to know though, would be some form of swordfighting where you wield a weapon in both hands. When I was in the army, one of our squadleaders tought me some moves from having practiced one such art for some 2-3 years, but I forgot the name of that soon after. It's not the one mentioned in this thread at least.

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Yoshinkan aikido. Got convinced of its kick-assedness after reading a book named "Angry White Pyjamas", recommended by my sister who has been doing martial arts for the last 15 years.

Too bad the only martial art I could take where I live is Tae-Kwon-Do, and that's just so not my style.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Close-up and personal? :D

4. Arabwel

Media:
    More a sport than an art.

*wishes she had that one book my Arturo perez-Reverte with her so she could quote*

:p

5. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Whatever martial art that teaches how to use a quarterstaff in a competent way. A spinning 7-foot wooden pole is a formidable barrier.

If no staves are about, good old-fashioned "brave, brave Sir Robin..."

EDIT: @Arabwel
    You may be thinking on this quote from "The Fencing Master" about fencing.
    [ September 30, 2004, 14:46: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Capoeira, while it looks EXTREMELY cool and will do wonders for your body, balance and endurance, is not really very practical to use in a real fight. I'd take it for just the aforementioned reasons though, but I'd have to be taking something else to complement it.

And to the "Drunken Boxing" proponents out there, if you've drunk TOO much, the only one that gets boxed is you :D hehe

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm just getting into Kenpo, and it amazes me at how natural the moves feel. I'm very much enjoying that style at the moment.

8. Arabwel

Media:
    Thanks, Colthrun!

I love that book, just like I love most of Perez-Reverte's books... and yes, i know I am going totally off-topic here...

And yeah, Capoeira looks good. :)

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Woohoo! Lightbulb moment!

*starts googling for information on these styles on the off chance (which is quite good, really) that they may come in handy for NaNo*

Er, yes, off topic...

10. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Whatever would involve a pair of these.

Or whatever would get me rid of my enemy first.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I can always grab a metal pipe, or a wooded stick or whatever else lies around or the enemy is carrying... Choppy-style mediaeval fencing does give some helpful ideas...

But when I can't grab anything, I can't really rely on any style. With asthma, I won't run far and can't last more than about 3 minutes of standard brawling. I need to get the guy(s) down ASAP or I'm screwed. I typically kick as hard possible between the collar bone and the shoulder on the right side. Next is a side kick in the ribs. If he still wants to fight, I need to think hard and save breath. He should be raging at this point, so easier to evade and more prone to do something stupid with little help.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Chev - why are you wasting time and effort kicking above the waist? It's pretty and all, but it's much more efficient and quick to blast someone's knee out and follow with a groin kick. You can clip his nose on the way down if you want to add blood to the mix.

Just wondering . . .

13. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Aikido. Even though I have only taken about 2 lessons (about 8 years ago) I find it realy cool. Especialy when someone as Steven Segal performs it... (I like the beginning of Nico)
    To be able to turn your opponents motions against them like that is so cool.
    Kung Fu is pretty cool to, but not when they are fighting with each other, rather when they are just showing it by making it look like a dance or such.

14. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Doesn't seem to be much respect for the drunken arts on this forum. As an experienced drunk myself, I must say that anyone who looks down upon drunken fighting styles hasn't recieved a proper demonstration of the techniques involved. The root of drunken fighting is in how you control your center of gravity. There can be a hell of a lot of power in one off-balance lunge.

That being said, there is no one style that I can say is my favorite. My favorite would be the teachings of my sensei throughout high school, who taught primarily Shotokan Karate, but mixed in jujitsu, tae kwon do, and various principles of other styles in to fill in whatever holes are left.

It's given me a bit taste of pretty much everything. Every other martial arts school I've been to has been much more focused, and therefore I felt they left glaring holes in my training.

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I dont know a lot about martial arts, but that's about to change very soon. I suppose it must be because of all the animes i've seen in the last few years ;)

Currently i'm reading anything i can find related to martial arts.
    Also i joined Taekwon-do in the hometown. I did some home-training before that so physicaly i was pretty ready for it so now i'm advancing steadily. I think the stance is a bit wrong, heh, but i dont suppose that matters much at the level i'm at. The main goal is not as much to train the style, but to strenghten the body for the future when in one year i travel to the capitol where i'll be able to choose what to train.
    So i'm trying to get as general training as i can. If any of you knows of any excercises for that free on the web, i'd appreciate it :)

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Seido Karate. I've never been so fit in my life after doing that.

17. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have practiced Shoto-Kan and Tung-Su-Do karate styles for 8 years but had to stop because of growth problems.

They are both brutally effective fighting styles that are centered around direct punches and kicks to pressure points in the body and/or head :evil: as well as some take-downs and holds.

Those 8 years gave me a great undestanding of both the fraility and durability of the human body.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Leppi - growth problems?? Karate made you grow funny?

I agree about learning about the frailty and the durability of the human body. That was the best thing I ever learned from karate.

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Wegie style! Head Butt him, kick him in the groin, take his wallet and run!

I learned Shoto-kan for years. Unless you're Jet Li, martial arts is useless in a fight.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hehe :D point taken. but being drunk, what are the chances of your "one time-big time" lunge actually hitting the guy as opposed to falling flat on your belly? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.