1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your best recipe

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by joacqin, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Potato Dauphinoise

Large Oven-proof Dish:
    Layers of potato/sweet potato slices interspersed with layers of chopped onion seasoned with nutmeg and salt & pepper. Fill up the lot with double cream (make sure it sinks down to cover all the lower layers) Top with more nutmeg and Salt & Pepper.
    Bake for about an hour in a hot oven. (Poke with a fork to check if cooked)

Heart attack city, but scrumptious.

Spicy Red Cabbage

Large Red Cabbage, 1 Onion, One large Cooking Apple, Vinegar and Brown Sugar. cook it all up in a large saucepan until the cabbage is cooked. Preferably put it in the fridge for a couple of days, serve re-heated.
    (Very good for entertaining as it's better to prepare it a couple of days in advance)

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Spanish Omelette (that timeless favourite...)

For 2-3 pepole you will need
    - 4 large eggs
    - 4 mdium-sized potatoes
    - 1 large onion
    - lots of sunflower oil
    - salt

Peel and dice the potatoes, chop the onions and put all in the pan. Add 3-4 pinches of salt and enough oil to nearly cover everything. Slow fry at a very low flame until the potatoes are tender.

Whisk the four egss in the bowl and add the cooked potatoes and onions. Do not add the oil!!! Keep a little oil in the pan and dispose of the rest. Put the mixture back in the pan, shape it a bit, and cook until the bottom side is done and the raw egg on top is nearly cooked too. Then turn it and cook the other side.

3. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Tried this one just a few days ago...

Garlic Chilli Steak.

You Need.
    - 2 Cloves of Garlic, Crushed and Roughly Chopped
    - x Amount of Chilli Sauce (Not Sweet, just Chilli)
    - 2 good-sized steaks. (Barbeque Steak works well)

Mix well crushed Garlic and Chilli sauce in a medium bowl.
    Coat the steaks with this mixture (a pastry brush works well here) and let sit. Add any remaining mixture.
    Leave for ten or so minutes and cook on a hot barbeque.
    Serve immediately.

BTW, Takara, that pork sounds great. Might have to try it myself sometime. :p

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Ara's Bizarre Stuff That Was Once Curry

(I originally got the recipe from my sister's old professor, who was impressed by hte fact that I was the only one of their guests who could eat the stuff... since this is severely HOT)

Also, this is a v. flexible recipe :D

This makes approximately two helpings, since it's served with rice

1 lbs (450 g) of chiken, sliced (any other meat works, too...)
    1 good-sized red onion (A normal one can be substituted), chopped
    3 to 5 well-sized tomatoes, peeled
    1 to 3 Tbs of Vindaloo Curry paste (Works with others, such as Tikka, but Vindaloo is best)
    28 fl ounce (2 dl) of coconut milk, can be substituted with cream
    2 or 3 chili, chopped
    1 good-sized sweet red pepper (If someone knows what those are called properly., do tell me)
    Cumin seeds
    Oil

(mushrooms, vegetables, and random stuff can be added if needed)

Stick the oil to a good-sized pot, and fry the cumin seeds until theyy're brown. Stick in chopped onion. sliced sweet pepper and sliced chili, and fry until it's done (You know, all slimy) Then, stick in the chicken and fry.

After chicked is done, add the vindaloo paste. Keep cooking it for approximately 5 minutes or so, then add the peeled and crushed tomatoes (canned tomatoes also work, if you're lazy) and the coconut milk.

Let it boil, stirring frequently, for at least 30 minutes (or else the spices will make your stomach upset) and until it's a nice, sticky brown. If it seems to get too stuicky, add coconut milk as needed.

Serve with rice, and lots of beverages :D

And yes, this recipe is the result of having an original recipe and having to tweak it a lot thanks to lack of funds and according to what is in the cupboard :p

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ok, this one is argentinian, it is called "empanadas", they size are like a fist, you can make them fried or in a oven, so the dough(?) is made for those 2 ways, in this case, I will give you the one for oven.
    Dough:
    1.1/4 kilo of flour (5 cups)
    60 grs baking powder (2 taps)
    25 grs salt (1 tap)
    125 grs lard
    250 ml milk (1/4 of liter)

The "filling"
    4 chopped onions
    125 ml oil
    50 grs paprika
    500 grs ground beef (1 lb)
    salt, oregano, pepper
    1 bouillon cube
    3 eggs

Dough preparation:
    Sift flour, baking powder and salt together, add melted lard and hot milk, mix little, mixing well, but not kneading. Let stand for 20 minutes and then roll it. Cut in circles aprox 20 cm diameter, and fill with (almost) a spoon full of the "filling thing", moisten the edges and fold shapping them as triangles or rectangles, brush with egg white or milk, puncture in 2 o 3 spots. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 375 F.

Filling preparation:
    Fry onion in hot oil until cooked, lower the heat and add paprika and ground beef, when cooked add the rest of the spices, and the bouillon dissolved in 1/2 cup of water. Let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes on low heat. When cold, add the boiled eggs and mix it, use to stuff the empanadas.
    Enjoy it.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This recipe was originally my great grandmother's but it has been passed down and unlike the shepherd's pie recipe I actually make this one myself. It is a quick, easy to make cake and it if tastes quite nice. Just don't make the mistake of mixing up the order of the 1,2,3,4. ;)

1,2,3,4 Cake

1 c. butter
    2 c. sugar
    3 c. flour
    4 eggs

3 t. baking powder
    salt and pepper
    1/2 t. vanilla
    milk

Preheat over to 350

Grease cakepan and sprinkle in a little bit of flour.

Cream butter and sugar, then add the vanilla and eggs. Mix Well.

Combine flour with baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix into the wet ingredients while gradually adding milk until you have a thick creamy texture.

Pour mixture into cakepan and bake. Turn out to cool. It tastes pretty good served hot but I personally prefer the leftovers which I normally chill overnight.

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Not really mine but still my favourite.

1 ciabatta bread
    Some ruccola
    Mustard
    Olive Oil (as many as you like, I use a lot)
    and a good sized piece of beef (preferably entrecote or even rib-eye if you can spare it)

Heat up the ciabatta in the oven till it's nice and crispy (hate that word)
    Now take the meat (without any fat or tendons, because it might be hard to eat later. You could slice it off after baking it) and put it between plastic wrapping and punch it with your palms or with a blunt object (enceclopedia) until it's about 1cm thick. It should be larger now too.
    Bake that in a pan, 1 minute on each side and let it cool down a bit.

In the mean while take your ciabatta, slice it in appropriate pieces (looking at the meat and the amount you can eat) and smear the mustard on both sides and put on some (or lot's) of olive oil. Lay the beef between the bread and put some ruccola on top of that.

Done deal, serve it with some salad or anything you fancy. BTW it's eaten like a sandwich.

8. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey Sydax - My mother-in-law makes empanadas as well, but fills them with a fruit filling (jam maybe) and then coats them with powdered sugar after frying them. I guess hers are the mexican style empanadas.

We could make your empanadas for dinner and my mother-in-law's for dessert. :D

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Takara and Arabwel, I'm bummin' that Velcro's got an aversion to all things coconut. Those look like the kind of quick, tasty things that I need to shake up my weeknight dinner table.

Here's our family fallback recipe - the pantry is never without the ingredients.

Velcro and Rally's Black Bean Stuff

2 cans black beans, drained (15 to 19 oz cans)
    1 can chopped tomatoes (can use stewed)
    1 can corn, drained
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (can substitute pasilla or anaheim chiles - my preference)
    1 jalapeno, minced (optional, can susbtitute serranos or habaneros as desired)
    2-3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced

Combine all in a 9"x13" baking pan. Season with 2 T chili (or chile, depending on what you have) powder, 1 T. dried oregano, 1 T ground cumin, salt and black pepper to taste.

Top with one batch of cornbread batter. A boxed mix is fine, or whip up your own:

3/4 c. flour
    3/4 c. cornmeal (NOT cornflour!)
    1/4 c. sugar
    1.5 t. baking powder
    pinch of salt
    1 egg
    1/3 c. vegetable oil
    2/3 c. milk

Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly. This is a great thing to assemble in advance and bake when desired.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Like I said, normal cream can be substituted. (I originally used cream, before I realized it had gone sour and there was a can of coconut milk in the pantry.... :D )

11. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Recipe for Love

Ingredients

2 Hearts Full of Love
    2 Heaping Cups of Kindness
    2 Armfuls of Gentleness
    2 Cups of Friendship
    2 Cups of Joy
    2 Big Hearts Full of Forgiveness
    1 Lifetime of Togetherness
    2 Minds Full of Tenderness

Method

Stir daily with Happiness, Humor and Patience.
    Serve with Warmth and Compassion, Respect and Loyalty.

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sorry...a good chef keeps his recipes a secret. :D

13. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Sloe Gin

1 Bottle of Gin
    1 Empty Bottle
    Some Sugar
    A load of Sloes. (Berries from a Blackthorn bush)

Split the gin equally between the two bottles, add about an inch of sugar in the bottom of each bottle.
    Score each Sloe with a knife and fill up each bottle.

Leave for two months, giving the bottles a shake about once a week.

Serve by itself or with Tonic/lemonade

p.s. I'm not sure you have Sloes in the states.

14. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    JSBB, salt and pepper in a Cake??? :eek:

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

3 family recipes here, 2 pretty quick ones.

"Mock Fish" (that's what my mum calls it)

Peel enough potatoes to feed however many people you have in mindand shred them either with a hand grater or a food processor, mix in enough eggs to make them stick together but not overpower the taste, shallow fry until golden brown.
    Serve with salt, pepper and sauce to your taste.

"Beef Stroganoff"

Half kilo or so of steak cut into strips and browned in a little bit of oil (or a non-stick frying pan), a couple of onions diced, cut into strips, however you like them, browned in the same pan, add mushrooms when the steak and onion are almost cooked, and when the mushrooms soften, add about 300ml Sour Cream and a few heaped tablespoons of tomato paste, stir in until the 'sauce' is an orange/brown colour. Serve with rice or pasta.

"Meatloaf"

Mix together in a bowl: half a kilo of beef mince and of sausage mince, a cup of breadcrumbs, two teaspoons of curry powder, 2 diced onions, 2 eggs, a tablespoon of chopped parsley and salt/pepper to taste. While mixing, gradually add a half cup of water and the same of milk.

Shape into a loaf in a greased baking dish and cook in a moderate oven for 30 minutes.

When almost ready, make the sauce in a saucepan by combining: a half cup each of water and tomato sauce, a quarter cup each of worcestershire sauce and brown sugar 2 tablesppons each of vinegar and lemon juice, 1oz of butter and 1 teaspoon of instant coffee powder.

After the meatloaf has cooked for 30 minutes, pour the sauce in with it and cook for 45 minutes more frequently basting it with the sauce.

Serve with whatever vegetables/salad you want.

16. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have travelled many countries and all of them get Irish recipies wrong (btw Corned Beef is not from Ireland and has nothing to do with St Patricks Day)! Now is my chance to put the record straight:

Irish stew is easy to make and if made with mutton and cooked slowly will be both flavorsome and tender. Mutton, being an older meat, has more flavor than lamb.

2 1/2 lb boned mutton
    4 large potatoes
    2 large onions
    3 or 4 medium carrots
    sprig of parsley
    2 cups water
    salt and pepper
    (serves four)

Cut the meat into good size chunks. Peel the vegetables and slice thickly. Chop the parsley. Choose a pot with a well-fitting lid and put in the ingredients in layers, starting and finishing with potatoes. Pour in the water and season to taste. Cover and put on a very low heat for about 2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender and the potatoes have thickened the liquid. The dish may also be made with lamb, in which case it requires only 1 1/2 hours cooking time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.