1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your best recipe

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by joacqin, Oct 2, 2004.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The shepherds pie thread not only made me real hungry and keen on trying out shepherds pie sometime it also inspired me to start this topic where we can share our best recipies with our fellow SPers.

Seeing as I am a notorious bachelor whose main concern when cooking is that it should be easy, reasonable fast, cheap and filling my best recipe is a fairly rustic one.

Chili Con Carne alá joacqin
    (recipe for middle sized pot)
    500-800 grams of minced meat (any kind will due, pork, beef or a mix is the only ones I have used)
    1 large onion
    2 cans of white beans in tomatoe sauce
    2 cans of chopped up tomatoes

Toss the meat into a hot pot, chop the onion while the meat gets some colour. Toss in the onions and leat it sweat with the meat for awhile. When the meat is cooked through (gray) open up the cans and toss them into the pot. Stir and let it simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

Seasoning
    This is optional and I usually take whatever I have and everyone probably uses different stuff. Here is what I did the yesterday when I made this: Chopped up several wedges of garlic and tossed it in together with the meat and onion. Not crushed but finely chopped garlic for the mild smooth garlic taste, not the strong pungent taste (which can be nice at other times but this is going to be hot enough as it is). I then took one tea spoon of Sambal Oelek and mixed it into the meat. Be careful with this stuff, it is *really* spicy. I have made my fair share of mistakes with it. After the beans and tomatoes I season it with a generous dash of both soy sauce and ketchup and also a liberal dosage of chili powder and some salt. As it simmers taste and see what it needs more for best result.

There it is! Uncomplicated but great tasting chili for the bachelor/ette who doesnt care about gases or bad breath! Would be rather nice to see other peoples chili recipes as well as general recipes for simple, filling and tasty food which doesnt take ages to cook or uses up a ton off different utensils.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Take 2 neatly sliced pieces of bread. Put under the grill till toasted.

Slice some mature cheese and slice and dice a little bit of onion. Spread evenly and greedily over the toast and put under the grill again.

Voila. One Morsy Cheese and Onion Toast Special.

3. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Banana milkshake, Xei-style.

Put one large banana, 4 deciliters of milk and a teaspoon of vanilla sugar in a blender. Press 'on'. Let it work for about 60 seconds. Pour in a big thing you can drink from. Drink.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    Whats a 'deciliter'? :S

5. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31

A tenth of a liter. But you're a brit, so you probably use those weird Imperial values, in which case I can't help.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thats just 14 Fluid Ounce (fl oz). So now I know! I will use that recipe ;) .

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It isn't really mine. My mother got it from someone and tweaked a bit.

Simple fruit pie:

2 3/4 glasses of wheat flour; 1 glass of potato flour; 3/4 glass of sugar; 3/4 butter lump; 2 spoonfuls (soup spoon) of cream; two spoonfuls (tea spoon) of baking powder

Trickle the floor until the powder is rare, add butter, mix. Add cream, sugar (plus some vanilla sugar if you like) and baking powder, mix. Fill the mould with a thin layer of dough, put your fruits on it, add crumble (flour, butter and thick sugar mix, for example). Heat your baking device to 170 degrees Celsius (338 Fahrenheit) and put the mould in for about half an hour.

We've done it with apples, berries, raspberries, plums, gooseberries... guess it's good with all kind of fruits.

Something really a la chev would be my coffee ideas. Lots. I often come up with something I think would suit the moment, the guest's taste or my mood, and I tend to remember the good ones. I could paste more if you wished, but it would take some space. Here's just how I make coffee for mother on weekends:

Some cream on the bottom of a cup. Espresso coffee goes in, until the cup is about 2/3 full, then sugar. Some milk goes in another cup. Both go to microwave for about 2 minutes. Then I foam the milk and pour the foam over the coffee. All is hot, all is blended into one taste. Just like my mother likes it in the morning.

[ October 02, 2004, 21:52: Message edited by: chevalier ]

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thats another thing...

Vanilla sugar? What on Earth is that? Sugar is sugar mate! lol

9. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31

Can't really describe/translate, but it looks kinda like baking soda but tastes sweet/vanilla-ish.

EDIT: The jar says it contains sugar, starch, and vanilla flavor.

[ October 02, 2004, 22:39: Message edited by: Xei Win Toh ]

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, this recipe is going to blow your mind...
    1 bowl
    1 spoon
    2 cups of milk
    1 1/2 - 2 cups of Captn' Crunch

Pour Captn' Crunch in a bowl, and add milk. Use spoon to eat...enjoy! :lol:

Honestly though, all the recipes of meals my mom made us had so many ingredients that it would take forever to list them all and how to prepare the meal. :rolling:

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Pork with ginger, lemon grass, and coconut

pork for 2 people, 1/2 an onion, 1 piece of lemon grass, 1/2 a red pepper, 1 clove of garlic, thai fish sauce, 1 400 ml can of coconut milk, 1 piece of root ginger, 1 lemon, sugar, 1/4 pint of chicken stock, creamed coconut, rice.

peel, and dice the ginger, shred half the lemon grass, and dice the pepper and onion. Dice the pork. Heat up some oil in a frying pan. Add the pepper, onion, lemon grass, and diced ginger. brown for a minute. Add the pork to the pan, and a crushed garlic clove. fry for 4 mins. Add the can of coconut milk, add 3/4 of the chicken stock, juice of the lemon, 1 dessert spoon of thai fish sauce, and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Bring to boil and allow to simmer for 20 mins, or until it reduces down to a nice sauce.

After 10mins, add enough rice for 2 to a saucepan. Add the shredded second half of lemon grass, and about a tablespoon of creamed coconut. Cover with water and allow to boil. Wait 'till the rice has absorbed all the water, then take off the heat and cover. When the pork is ready, serve over the rice.

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] This really isn't my recipe, but it is a favorite around the house. It makes for an awesome sunday breakfast.

Potato Omelette

A few potatoes, diced
    2 Onions, diced
    5 spoons olive oil
    6 eggs
    Salt, Pepper to taste

Put oil in a cooking pan with high rims and then sautee the diced potatoes and onions until they are well-cooked.

Then, break the 6 eggs and beat them in a bowl with some salt and pepper. Afterwards, pour it into the pan and let it surround and envelope the diced potatoes and onions. Cook it like this for roughly 20 minutes over medium heat.

Lastly, put in in the oven at medium heat for 5 minutes and then serve and garnish.

13. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    This isn't really a recipe, but if you take thinly sliced roasted red pepper and cook it with just about any kind of meat it tastes pretty darn great. I usually season the meat or chicken with a little HP and soya sauce. I haven't tried tofu with it but I imagine it might make a good vegetarian version of the recipe.

EDIT: by the way, I always have vanilla sugar on hand as well and regular sugar. It's pretty easy to make. All you have to do is get a whole vanilla bean and break it into a few pieces and then leave it in your sugar bowl.

[ October 04, 2004, 06:52: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

14. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Captn' Crunch? Is that some kind of sereal or something?

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yup...the best there is! The company that makes it keeps messing with the original, so now there are like 4 different types of Capn' Crunch. :rolling:

16. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Here it is folks - the best recipe in the world!

I call it: Fal-beer!

Go to store.
    Buy a large case of beer.
    Take it home.
    Drop it in an ice chest - cover with ice.
    Walk away for seven to fourteen minutes.
    Return.
    Grab one - be careful! That ice is really cold!
    Open beer (you may need a bottle-opener - be careful, those little metal caps can be sharp!)
    Drink.
    Drink.
    Drink.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ooh, that is one of my favourites as well. I usually use a fridge or a freezer and cans though. Cans might not be as nice as bottles but they cool down more quickly.

18. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Bottles cool down lightning-fast under ice, but not so much in the fridge. They also "hold the cold" longer than cans, imo.

19. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hot Nacho Cheese Dip

1 cup leftover chili or canned refried beans
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1 cup chopped tomato
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped jalapenos
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup sliced scallions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Spread chili or beans over bottom of baking dish. Spread softened cream cheese on top. Layer tomatoes, jalapenos, red onion and cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes till you see it begin to bubble. Top with scallions and serve with nacho chips

20. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You get some bananas, pineapples and chop them up into small pieces. Get some chocolate and heat it up until it is very thin and then pour it over the bananas and pineapples. Then the most important part is the golden syrup, get a big spoon and slap loads in the bowl. Altogether you need 1 whole pineapple, 3 bananas, a big bar of chocolate and a tin of golden syrup.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.