1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You can be a Texan too!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by ejsmith, Nov 29, 2003.

1. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Just read this.

It's also prevalent in Oklahoma, but it's downwashed by the time it hit Kansas and Arkansas. I'd have to say that I can turn it on and off like a light-switch, but there are people who cannot. It gets really hairy out in the middle of a wheat field, when one of these blokes is trying to tell you to un-hitch the round bailer and connect up the disc, "ov'r thar".

However, if you walk into a Tex/Okie store, and prefer people to be a little bit more "personal" with your shopping experience, this little accent makes an entire world of difference. Cashiers and florists will tell you about the day's specials, and go so far as to leave their post to point out something to you.

Hicks.

What's the world comming to?

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

An interesting study!

Very very true - I live in central Texas, and can switch that twang off and on with the best of them. With the "twang" on, you can get things done better, faster, and friendlier than without. I worked in retail for five years, and used to play around with it - when I used the twang, customers were generally much happier with what I had to say, even if it was something they did not want to hear. If I didn't, I often came off as rude and unhelpful, not only with customers, but managers and coworkers as well.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No, I cannot turn it on and off, and I've lived in Texas for a really long time, but I'm not a native. I have tried to keep a very neutral accent. Nevertheless, I worked in retail for some years and was very successful. Houston is a very cosmopolitan city now and you can meet people here from all over the globe. I've even had a chance to brush up on my German with a number of customers (one store I worked in was close to the airport). At least half the people I came in contact with were from other states or other countries, and if I was not too "down-home" with them, it really made them much more comfortable.

[ December 01, 2003, 17:17: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

4. Falstaff

@Chandos - Between the two of us (if we want to make a careful generalization), we have pretty much proved one point of the article.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Oh yes, Falstaff, I agree. The natives really respond to the down-home spin as you commented. As a sales person you can pick and choose how to repond to each one you come in contact with. But I agree that the natives are easily manipulated by what you suggest. I just never bothered much with that approach.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Having only lived in Texas now for about 3 years, I haven't fully developed my hick, thank god (er, I mean Gawd). Nor do I plan to. I find myself saying "Y'all" every once in a while, and "yousta' could" has escaped my lips once or twice outside of a jest.

However, there are just some Texasisms that are too stupid even for a joke. I draw the line at "fixin' ta." I'm never "fixin'" to do anything, but I do "intend" to do things. Unless of course if I intend to fix something. ;)

7. Falstaff

Ah, manipulating the natives... so much fun... if only they knew that I was born in Michigan!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.