1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another run - any wishes?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sir Rechet, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Oh, the shapeshifts! That's what I forgot about how I managed my druid diplomat during the early phases of my run-through.

Although it will be a MAJOR loss to AC.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Because of the damage resistances the boar should be even less vulnerable than the normal form. Casting cat's grace after shapeshifting will improve the AC. If druids still benefit from the deep gnome bonus to AC and a mage armor spell (do they ?) while shapeshifted there won't be an AC difference.

3. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

They lose the DG +4, and the mage armor, although you can recast mage armor after they shift. In fact, they even lose Haste effects. I'm not sure what else gets lost upon shapeshift, but Improved Haste gets lost for sure.

-Max

4. Sir Rechet

Pretty much EVERYTHING that has to do with AC gets lost during shapeshifts - racial AC bonus, feat bonuses (including Expertise), Armor/Shield/Deflection/Generic bonuses from items and/or spells. Dexterity bonus kinda remains but it's not your own DEX that matters but the one you get from the shapeshift. Monk AC bonus is the only one I know that stays.

You can rebuff the spells after shapeshifting and they'll take effect but you'll lose them again when you return to humanoid form.

Edit: Ready to begin Chapter Two now and I still have quite a bit remaining to level six. Although the gap is starting to narrow as I'm seeing much higher kill exp that I'm used to at this point.

5. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It turns out Haste is removed when you shapeshift (not just the AC bonus, the extra speed is lost too) but Stoneskin stays. So perhaps other defensive buffs like Invis/Blink would stay too.

-Max

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Any updates Sir Rechet? Chapter and character levels?

7. Sir Rechet

Nah, haven't been able to play during the week. So still at the end of Chapter One as above. Will resume during the weekend.

Edit: Ok, so now I'm a bit into Chapter Three.

I did a thorough test on the "delay cashing in quests in Chapter Two" idea I presented a few months ago. It works like a charm in giving a (small) boost to your exp. :)

The only ones you CANNOT delay are:
    - Waking up Oswald
    - ending the beetle infestation
    - figuring a way to open doors in the glacier
    - releasing prisoners
    - quests you complete by talking to the three sisters within the temple

My party reached level eight just at the end of the killing spree, clearing just about all of the areas in the chapter. Cashing in the quests made me reach nine. Had I done stuff in the normal order, I'd have received quite a bit less kill exp due to leveling to eight while there still was monsters remaining.

At the very end of Chapter Two I was at 67,900 exp per character.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. Sir Rechet

FYI:

I consolidated the findings of this playthrough into the JUPP discussion thread, as a majority of the things I tested this time were directly aimed at getting some hard evidence into the "maybe, then again maybe not" discussions in there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.