1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet Another character

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by pplr, Aug 15, 2012.

1. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Thinking of making yet another new character.

I'm thinking city elf mage but..

Should I go for the Conjurer or Thaumaturgist achievement?

Shapeshifter/Arcane Warrior or Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer?

Thoughts?

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The mage origin is unique, I think it doesn't matter whether you admit to being from the Alienage or being raised among Dalish.

From what I understand, the standard combination is Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage and Shapeshifter/Spirit Healer.
    Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage works because blood magic reduces cost penalty from fatigue. Meanwhile, all Arcane Warrior skills have extreme fatigue/mana costs. Plays like the classic spellsword - uses warrior weapons and armor, spell focus is on buffs, casts the occasional nuke but prefers to fight in melee range.

Shapeshifter/Spirit Healer is basically the D&D druid, a lightning/fire/cold flinging offensive caster with heals and who can shapeshift to bite someone's head off if it fancies him/her. Apparently the shapes all ignore spell resistance and can incapacitate or outright kill humanoids, so that's a big plus in higher difficulties.

Blood Mage/Spirit Healer abilities cancel each other out as far as I know, unless you like to constantly switch Blood Magic on and off. Arcane Warrior/Shapeshifter is redundant. Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer is like a cleric/paladin. Never tried a Shapeshifter/Blood Mage, seems like a glass cannon character to me.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't known about the resistance aspect.

I figured Spirit Healer/Arcane Warrior is very paladin.

I haven't gone for the blood mage option by choice (I never unlocked the blood mage option and don't plan to).

Thoughts on the spell type achievement my character would work towards? One thing I plan to do differently is have my main character work towards that achievement while getting Wynn & Morrigan to take spells that would work for spell combos. I would like to see if I can hit the total list for spell combinations in 1 game.

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Elementalist (all primal) suits a shapeshifter character best. Although their innate abilities are quite powerful the animal forms have decent/terrible normal attack damage, so having nukes as a main damage source fixes that. Thaumaturgist (all spirit) is a solid choice for an arcane warrior character. Spirit is about utility - and since arcane warriors already have a reliable means of doing damage and surviving, it helps to have spells that can one-shot mages, dispel magical curses, bring back a dead humanoid caster as a temporary ally, shrug off magical attacks, or render a party member temporarily invincible. For the sake of completeness Hexer (all entropy) seems ideal for a Blood Mage. Since nlood mages can't reliably heal themselves, they might as well try to control the field - entropy gives you plenty of spells for that. Conjurer (all creation) naturally seems ideal for a spirit healer character.

Whatever school you decide to go with just remember to pick up the essentials (Heal, Force Field, Arcane Armor, and perhaps Mana Clash).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.