1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yep, a bug...

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Thalantyr, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Thalantyr Guest

[​IMG] I got this weird bug, when i go into combat it lets me move my chars, but i click on the moster to attack....nothing. Same with spells. And when i try to cast cure light wounds (Example) on one my party members or .... nothing. Did, does... anyone esle have this problem? i got the patch.

2. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanlantyr, how far into the game are you? That's not a bug I've seen yet, but my guys are only up around level 6. Has it been happening since the beginning?

3. gollum Banned

[​IMG] I have not had that one but I had one ware my guy went from 33/33 to 0/9 and could walk around and when stoped fell down and said stablized.

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The next patch is scheduled for mid-december. It will probably fix a lot of stuff.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited November 22, 2001).]

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't have a patch. Not even the "installer bug" patch. And still I managed to finish the game. It was a torture, I tellya, many exiting to windows without apparent reason, many freezes, flags disappearing from maps, NPCs get stuck in a stone so I must reload, etc etc.

But such bug never happened to me.

Besides, what enemies are you talking about? Some creatures are not ment to be attacked.
    Spells? Have you checked if your spell counter is not 0 (zero)?
    Also, are you sure you're targeting an enemy? The problem I had was when "sprites" of two creatures were one over another, I couldn't easily select the one in behind. Is that perhaps a problem?

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited November 22, 2001).]

6. Talon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Couple of times I've been in combat with one group when another group hears the combat. The "new" group is shown on the map, but has not entered the fray. Since they have not "rolled" initiative, you cannot attack them (the target cursor's rings are gray instead of red).

Once the next round starts you should be able to target the creatures. BTW, area affect spells will kill them off just fine.

As far as the cure - I dunno.

7. Thalantyr Guest

Nope that wasn't it. :(

8. Len Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Do you have a Dell? There is a problem with the mouse interface. So sayeth one of the POR techies. Sorry no help, but it explains it anyway. I loaded it on my laptop and it works fine.

9. cthulhubryan Gems: 1/31

Has anyone found a fix for Thalantyr's problem? I am having the same issue. I can attack monsters with area affect spells, I can move my party anywhere I want, but I cannot directly target a monster for combat (I can fireball them but not magic missle them) and I cannot engage them in melee or missle combat. Likewise I cannot target any party members with buffing or healing spells.
    Not on a dell.

Thanks for any help. I was enjoying the game before this. I even started a new game and it starts with the problem.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you have all of the patches installed?

11. cthulhubryan Gems: 1/31

I have the 1.4, I think, patch. Do I need to install them in order. I just put the last available patch on.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yep, you need to install them in order... and check to be sure that your game isn't already pre-patched to a certain version before patching. If you've messed up the order a reinstall of the game would probably be a good idea.

13. Zalagar Gems: 1/31

So I ran into the same issue. I can AOE with spells. I can open doors and break items, but when I target an enemy for a an action, I can't follow through with the action. I can't attack them with a melee weapon. I can't cast a spell like magic missile. I have probably 40 hours into the game. So I don't really want to start over. However, I did try starting a new game and have the same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game and still have the same problem. I have all the patches installed. Any ideas?

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You won't like it, but although it was almost 10 years ago, this is what I recall fixed it.
    1. reinstall the game over your current install
    2. start the game and find out what version is now installed.
    3. Download and install all the patches in order starting with the next patch after whatever version is installed in your game. If your game comes up to 1.3, start with 1.4. If you have 1.0, do them all. Doing it in order and not doing patches already installed is important.
    4. Delete your existing saved games and start fresh. You can use your old characters.
    I know you won't like step 4, and if you wish you can instead use an archive program to stick them in a compressed archive and delete them for easy extraction. Feel free to try your old save game before step 4, but I recall a different bug that required step 4 to resolve. It was the one that would cause all the doors in the dungeon (or at least the Main Hall, I can't recall, and I may not have gotten past the Main Hall yet when that bug happened) to reset, but NOT the treasure including the required keys to open said doors.
    The targeting bug may not need step #4 to resolve. I'm only positive about the one that locks all the doors without restoring the keys.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.