1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ye Olde Randome Babble Thread - 112

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    *joins in the good wishes*

*... then winces at having to correct her paper again* 'Tis twenty pages of distilled depression, I tell you.

The internet connection has been messing with my head all morning. Is it too much to ask for a stable bloody line in a net centre, for serious business? I actually had to move to the ghastly "stuck-to-facebook-12-hours-a-day-morons" section of seats, because not one of the Research Only PCs does its bloody job today. *winces some more* ...and of course *here* in Brainwashed-land, all lines work. Bluh.
    /end rant

The weekend had its moments, but today has to be the worst day of both weeks.

Days like this is why RL needs RP. Tons of it.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks for the well wishes. Spent my entire weekend bed-ridden. Today I worked from home, but it was anything but a restful day. In fact, I'm still working and have an 9PM conference call to dial into... even though I still feel completely like crap.

On a more "positive" note, the GPU in my main gaming PC fried. My PC had crashed on me a few times when I tried to do a bit of gaming last Friday evening. I didn't feel well enough to get back to it until today, and after a few more crashes, now I can't even get my video card to display anything on my monitor. Dell is shipping a replacement Video Card, which I should have in a couple of days. But no Mass Effect 2 until then, it seems.

I'm strongly considering buying a new PC, since these days my 7 year old and my wife are constantly competing with me for our main PC (the one that just fried). Neither is willing to use my 9 year old Dell PC anymore (not that I blame them), and my son will barely use the 6 year old Alienware Mobile Desktop. I end up getting stuck on my work laptop, which doesn't allow me to game. My current PC is now 3 years old, and has required 2 motherboard replacements, a monitor replacement and now the GPU replacement. I'm getting tired of having these periods with no worthy gaming machine in our house.

So, it would be kind of cool to get "my own" gaming PC in MY office, to be used only be ME. I could then put our current PC, which is still quite awesome when the components are working, downstairs in my wife's desk just off the living room. Then my wife and my son can duke it out amonst themselves, and I can go buy a lock for my office door, and and truly make it my "man-cave."

Not sure I want to drop the cash for the new machine yet, but the idea is really growing on me. And my wife seems supportive of me doing it....

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Ugh.

Been stuck in the flat for over a week now.

Going slightly mad! Kev was going to take me out to a friends house this evening just so I'd have a break from the same room but I've got to run the D&D game even if it's going to be a short session :(

Lift was out of order for three days, then broke within 12 hours of being repaired and was broken for another two days. I ran out of painkillers while the lift was out of order and still can't get up and go out because now I'm in too much pain and have a migraine from withdrawl :rolleyes:

To be frank, it's been a little irritating.

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You should arrange for someone to go and pooh on your landlords doorstep!

5. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I will if you pay me! I can even light it on fire! :D

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Or I could just... persuade... him to fix it ASAP. :evil:

*EDIT* 6800! 7k isn't so far...

*EDIT2*

F*** Facebook!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @8people That sounds utterly miserable. I really hope the management of your flat gets on the stick and gets the problem fixed properly. Can't someone go and pick up the pain medication for you in the meantime?? Being stuck AND without your meds is too much.

8. Disciple of The Watch

A HUUUGE wave of fog just hit. Can't see [expletive], capt'n!

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ugh...I'm in the home stretch of the 3 straight weeks of work without a single day off. I'm not sure I'm going to make it...but I can't call in, or I lose all that precious OT. :wail:

I've got to start packing the next few days. And I still need to buy tickets to the King Tut expo that I'll be going to @Times Square.

10. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Had a great day yesterday with NMR spectra.

Might sound a touch heretical, but describing and noting all the signals and coupling constants (so they could be reported in the paper) was quite fun.

Boring would be the accepted feeling... could be I just like tasks that let you shut off most of your brain. Like polishing spoons.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Kit - Kev is in the middle of his, his company has this thing where you have to pass a test to be allowed a set of shop keys... he's the only one in the store currently who has passed the test and has to wait until next week for the two employees he has to take it. He has to get up at 5am every Wednesday for the 7:30 deliveries while the employees that live a few minutes away aren't able to get into the building at all!

As for my painkillers, I need to discuss the dosage with the doctor and need to be assessed for painkillers every time I need to renew a prescription. :rolleyes: At least at the local pharmacist I don't get refused my medication for being 'too young'

I'm the only person I know who's been ID'd for a prescription. It's ridiculous. Kev took me out last night to get out for a bit, was a relief being able to look up and not be staring at a blank wall. Rain doesn't help with my joints either... which started two days ago :lol:

12. Disciple of The Watch

Not to hijack another thread...

Hmm... nah, I don't like the word intoxicated, so... crude. The fog opens one's mind, and the ability to focus on a single task for a prolonged period of mind, which in my ADHD case, is difficult. So I guess in the case of fog, we'll call it "enlightened" posts. That sounds good to me. As for drunk posts, fun to read, but the entirety of SP knows how much I despise booze.

Last day off before the work Iron Man triathlon begins. Thankfully, the fog generator is locked, loaded and ready to unleash a potent Feeblemind fog that's going to give a -4 to INT and WIS malus, but +15 to morale and immunity to mind-affecting spells. Can't affect something that's not there, y'know.

*EDIT* No, I meant the Ironman Triathlon that the next weeks at work are going to be.

Failed my INT save writing this. Damn you, fog! :p

13. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    You're participating in the Iron Man?

14. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] He *IS* Iron Man! :D

Fair enough, there are plenty of synonyms that are adequate for a range of substance induced states of mind.

Or as one english comedian pointed out, simply positioning a 'noun-ed' in replacement of a saying to denote a frame of mind more suited to being slept off is perfectly acceptable :cool:

Disciple is fogged, Silvery is juiced and a plethora of members regularly end up tanked, buzzed, wired, wrapped, based and gazeboed on special ocassions :xx:

May partake of a small glass of Black Mountain later, if my painkiller withdrawls are giving me a migraine (which is thankfully tapering and in the last cyclic phase) I'm going to enjoy a nice glass until I am able to resume prescription driven lifestyle choices.

15. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I object to the term juiced! I'm regularly sozzled, not juiced

16. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Would any of you believe I have actually managed to read the *whole* thread?

You wouldn't? Good! I have not!:D:D:D

As for various synonyms for 'intoxicated', I adore the word "hammered". Dude. It's, like, so metal.:D

17. Silvery

Media:
    Me and Rob have three cars (4 if you could include his race car). I own our all round family car, a Vauxhall Zafira, Rob has a 4.2 super-charged Jaguar (dunno what make) and we have a Toyota Hi-lux (Pick-up/ute) which we use for towing, going to visit our many friends who live in the arse end of beyond and various other messy stuff.

Anyway, if either of us have Ashley in the car then we use the parent and child spaces at the supermarket. This is fine if we're driving the Zafira but when we're in either of the other two cars then you always get some nosey old biddy come storming up to us shouting about how the spaces are for people with children and not there for us because we have big or expensive cars. The look on their faces when we then get Ashley out of the back of the car is priceless :lol:

18. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    At the risk of running too far afield from random babble, I'm curious to know what the appeal is, whether it be booze, 'fog,' or whatever else. I mean, I know that everybody likes a drink now and then, and I can see what the temporal advantages are based on individual posts, but I still wonder overall what makes a person a regular drinker or user of substance x. It does seem that a lot of SP members are pretty well in their preferred state of intoxication on a fairly regular basis.

19. Silvery

Media:
    Hmm, it's a good question. Personally, I find it a good way to un-wind. I spend all day being a wife and mum and having a drink on a night is a fun way for me to relax. I go to extremes sometimes and wish that I didn't but it gives me a sense of freedom in a way

20. Disciple of The Watch

In my own case... fog is an excellent way to chill out after a shift. Being one of the higher ups now, I've got MUCH more responsabilities, and sometimes, this makes for some long weeks. It's a way of shifting gears. And by ricochet the same long weeks mean I don't always eat very well. Tidbit of fog, and I will actually take the time to cook decent meals, and the fog amplifies the taste of food a hundredfold. If it tastes good, the fog is going to make it taste even better.

There's also one part addiction, not going to sugarcoat the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.