1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ye Olde Randome Babble Thread - 112

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    How to get rid of white fly, should I give it a support or allow it to grow onto the bed above, what the black spots are on the leves, should I dead-head it, what's a good food for it, Would it be possible to add some more to my bed, are there any that have fewer thorns and more stuff that I'm a little too sloshed to remember

2. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Roses are red,
    violets are blue.
    That's the extent I know of flowers
    How about you?

:lol:

Montresor likes this.
  3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG]

In other news, it's been so windy today that there's enough dust in the air that you can't see either of the mountain ranges I live between. :bad:
    I think I'm going to wear my SCBA home today. :shake:

4. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Heat and humidity are par for the course in the summer here. Right now I'm having problems with temperature shock going from refrigerator cold server rooms to outside heat. I'm literally getting sick from it.
    I'd rather deal with the heat truthfully. I am miserable in cold weather, and consider snow a curse word.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Ugh, second day that has 36°C (roughly 97°F) and barely a wind. I'm determined to do little but go to a friend to watch Germany vs. Argentina today, and then back home swiftly. You hear sirens all day as they haul people with health problems due to the heat.

On the plus side, I have found a way to use my computer in that heat without having my arms glued to the desk by my sweat: I put a towel on my desk. Far more comfortable now. I'm so clever!

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Whitefly don't tend to colonise on roses, if you're getting whitefly then they're probably laying eggs on a plant nearby, if you're interested in companion planting marigolds are good with roses as they contain natural chemicals that repel whitefly and similar insects. Some garden centres will sell little ladybird traps/houses so you can get a little ladybird colony, you have to be careful what ladybirds you attract through some chinese species are vicious buggers, but ladybirds have strong appetites and will hunt down eggs and larvae of most pests to eat, if they run out of eggs and larvae they move onto the adults and some caterpillas for meals. (If you want to ensure butterflies in your garden still a small corner growing nettles will give them plenty of egg laying space, put the ladybird colony nearer the plants that have problems and the nettles nearer hardy veg - if you grow any - or out of the way so Ashley doesn't grab them!)

Nettles can also be made into a tea which goes quite a bright pink colour if you add a small slice of lemon which can be novel. Young nettles are high in vitamins and when soaked in water and cooked loose the hairs that cause the stinging.

If you suplement the soil with magnesium it will grow into the plant and deter whitefly as well if this is a longer term consideration, tobacco dust or tea sprayed onto the plant is supposed to be effective as well.

Black spots on the leaves are a fungus, you can get sulphur as a powder or spray to be misted over the plant, the fungus cannot grow properly with sulphur present and the spores cannot germinate stopping the spread of it. You'll have to remove all the diseased leaves beforehand though, burn if possible, otherwise just wrap up and dispose of them, don't recycle them as the fungus doesn't need living material to survive. On an affected plant (and it's neighbours) buy a fungicidal soap from a garden centre and follow the instructions on it to ensure it's cleared up. The sulphur remedy will only be useful after removing the fungus and the soap if it's there. It also washes away with rain so will need to be reapplied to high risk plants. To lower the risk, water at the base avoiding wetting the leaves or water in the morning when it's cool so leaves have a chance to dry off properly before it gets warm and the spores are released.

If the flowers are dead cut the stem from the closest leaves with pruners, if the flowers have already gone to hip then pinch it away. While rosehips can be useful for some things it's a stress on the plant which can prevent it flowering properly the next season.

Different species of rose have different qualities, thorn density, colouration, blooms, budding, spread, trailing, climbing features, etc, there isn't much I can answer further really, most garden centres have selections of rose you can browse, you can get specific rose feeds and some respond better to training than others, some also go woody early on and are a preference in structured growing while some are more pliable for longer so can be moved and trained further on if you change your mind.

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Time for a new thread on gardening, I think.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    A thunderstorm ... and it is apparently only getting more humid.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yeah, i think a lot of it has to do with ourselves getting consistently temperature shocked. If you go on a holiday somewhere 100% outdoors, it's not half as bad, your body just gets used to it.
    In a normal day though, we flee in cool interiors anytime we can, so we're busted once we have to go out again. Plus you can't really avoid it.

Thunderstorm brewing up here too. And birds stealing my almost-ripe blueberries -.- GAH

10. Triactus

Media:
    My appartment is in the basement... hihihi, it's never too hot... :bigeyes:

11. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Basement housing isn't an option in Florida, or else you wind up with a really nasty underground pool... not to mention soiling everyone's water supply.

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's better than soiling your underpants

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Kev and I were meant to go out yesterday, but we figured out we couldn't afford it with rent on Monday.

So he's out at a stag do tonight and just heading home :doh:

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm......only a few hours left till I get completely wasted! :beer: I'm going to a party that starts tonight, and ends sometime in the wee hours of the 5th. :banana: There's no better way to celebrate the independence of my country than getting s**t faced and blowing a part of it up! :bigeyes:

If I suddenly stop posting after a week or so, assume I'm dead.... send money. :p

15. Ragusa

Media:
    :banana: Happy 4th of July :banana: to all you [snip] Americans out there. :shake: :p

Tonight I will toast you with a glass of bourbon! And a glass of rye!

[You really should know better by now. Seriously. -Tal]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What is it with all of you complaining about unbearable heat? I suppose you have some deeply rooted aversion to air conditioning? I mean, the prices on A/C have come down so much pretty much everybody can afford it.

17. Silvery

Media:
    Dunno about everyone else but I see it as my cultural duty to complain about the weather at all times :p

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Easy! For the most simple of all reasomns: Because it is hot :p

And anyway: Air conditioning is unnatural, noisy, tends to be bad on the eyes, an environmental burden and an excuse for not dressing or building according to the locally prevalent climate :p

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    At least in Denmark complaining about the weather is a national pastime. It's either too cold, too warm, too humid, too dry, too wet, or too in-between = boring. :)

20. Triactus

Media:
    I don't like air conditioning because I feel, when all the windows are shut, that I'm not a part of the world. I like to hear the wind, people in the street and all that. Plus, with the windows closed, I never know *how* hot it is outside. When I lived with my parents who had A/C, I often went out of the house dressed too much when it was hot or not enough when it was chilly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.