1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

X-Men III

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sydax, May 30, 2006.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Nobody went to watch it yet?
    Well, I went the very first day, and as an X-Men fan, I was very disappointed.
    Don't want to spoil anything but I must say that the movie was too 'rushed' and way out of what I read in the comics.
    I think that there will be more X-Men fans who will agree with me.

2. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

i saw it, it was pretty good, little disappointing gambit didnt make an appearance.

yeh the movies differ quite a bit from the comics, eg i thought magneto's real name was joseph not eric, and what was up with juggernaught being brittish he is suppose to be prof x's half (or step brother)

but it was still a pretty good film non the less

can anyone confirm the rumour the wolverine is going to get his own spin off

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Elfin,

Yes I can confirm it. So is Magneto.

---

I saw it yesterday, and thought it was great. Very well done all around. Whoever the girl was who played Callisto, she was smokin' hot. :love:

I also really like Ellen Page, the girl who played Kitty Pryde. She was great. She's gonna be a HUGE star, mark my words.

SPOILERS--

-
    -
    -
    -

Though I will say it did have a few flaws. First off, Angel was completely unnecessary. He was barely in the movie at all, barely had any lines, and despite such a dramatic entrance in the movie, had no bearing on the outcome whatsoever. He was pretty much just there for show, it seemed. Also, Rogue's fate was, in my opinion, lame from start to finish. All she did was whine, and did nothing of character at all.

There were a few other moments that bugged me, but...meh. They're minor. It was great all the way through. So good in fact, that I snuck into Da Vinci Code and MI:3 immediately after. Ok, that had nothing to do with it...it was just a nice bonus. :D

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

It was pure crap, the worst of the X-Men movies, 3/10. Brett Ratner (nor anyone else involved) just does not know what to do.

SPOILERS ahead...

First of all, the whole Cyclops/Marvel Girl/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix/Wolverine "story" was completely wasted. Killing Cyclops while bringing her back was quite stupid. They also completely ignored the whole (Dark) Phoenix change. Now she was just some random mutant walking in the woods, awesome!

They also had so many mutants (and some WHO ARE NOT MUTANTS) that they did not know what to do with them, so they ended up being statistics. Like there was a chance to use them somewhere.

There were also some very annoying cliches that made me want to set the reel on fire...

The only positive thing is that now we have seen all of the original X-Men.

I hope this was The Last Stand and that we do not see more X-Men movies, even though they left the ending still open for more.

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Magneto's name is Eric Magnus Lehnsherr, always was like that...

@Erod: I read somewhere that there will be only 3 movies out of X-Men, so that's why I think they did this last movie too 'rushed', just to finish all things in the worst possible way.

SPOILERS--
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    There are too many flaws for my taste... like Phoenix (Jean) coming out of almost nothing, poor background/story (or at least nothing like you know from the comics); really, Angel was there almost for nothing (we have some posters of the movie here showing him with the X-Men's uniform while in the movie he didn't use any).
    Just few action scenes; the 'final' fight... what all those mutant did? Just 'speedy-rush'? They were like StarCraft's zerlings...
    Anyway, just my opinion. I didn't like at all.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, speaking as someone who didn't read enough of the comics to really be offended by the patchwork job necessary to make a film adaptation, I still think it was a very entertaining movie.

My advice to anyone passionate about any source material - a book, a comic, even a video game - to avoid the eventual movie adaptation, because you'll always be disappointed. Otherwise just enjoy the adaptation for what it is, and judge it on its own merits. I disliked Alien vs. Predator because it was a crap movie, not because it was unfaithful to the source material.

But that's me.

7. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I am a huge fan of the X-men comics I started reading them almost from no 1 because they were (imo) much bettere than the Avengers, FF etc, but when I went to see the films I watched them as films not films based on the comics. And in this way I enjoyed them more, because I had no expectations of them doing this or doing that, how disappointing would that be to go and see a film and expect it to be a scene by scene from the comic or book.

I agree with DR on this one, but add if you can't take the films on their own merits then don't watch them.

And as DR said. But that's me.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If I hated the first movie, but really liked the second one, would the 3rd be worth watching?

9. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

hey syndax, if his name is eric, why do i have a comic with his name being joseph, unless it is someone who looks the same and has the same powers

(that is the case his clone is joseph, and magnetos real name is unkown, he paid a guy to create the identity of eric)

and yes the xmen series falls under the trilogy rule, 1 good 2 awesome 3 crap

[ May 31, 2006, 07:35: Message edited by: Elfen Lied ]

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I liked it plenty. It was very entertaining, though yes, did feel quite rushed in places.

OTOH, I've never read the comics (would like to, but ehhh ... that's probably not going to happen :p ).

(Spoilers):

Some bits could have been cut out because they added nothing (*cough*Angel*cough*). Also I'll agree that the Rogue thing was lame. Rogue's an awesome character, but she had so little screentime that there was no time to develop it so that the losing mutant powers thing actually *mattered*.
    Also, I don't think Ian McKellen is very subtle: '*HOMO*-sapians' :p

11. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Okay...

I am not a huge X-Men fan, in fact I have only read a few comics, played a Marvel Super Hero RPG (which is quite fun btw) and read some other things about them.

I dislike the movie because it is a poorly made one, not because it does not follow the comics. It would also have been close to impossible to follow the storyline from the comics with Marvel Girl/Phoenix.

It is just stupid that they completely wasted/ignored the storylines developed in the previous two movies and rushed this to a bad end. It has the taste of a bad action movie. Sydax summarised it well, a few action scenes and then the final fight, 'speedy-rush'.

X-Men deserved better than this...

Ps. More Marvel fun as Ghost Rider with Nicolas Cage will be released in 2007.

12. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Well, I just watched it and it fares pretty okay as an action movie but I was quite disappointed with it as an X-men movie (1 was good and 2 was better).

*Spoilers!* Do not proceed if you have not watched the movie!
    I do not like the way they start killing/removing all the mutants such as Cyclops (IF he is even dead since it is only implied), Phoenix/Jean Grey (although she NEVER stays dead anyway) and Xavier (sort of, anyway but really do not like the way they handled it). Others include Psylocke (and she is on the Brotherhood's side no less with less than a minute of screen time!) and to a much lesser degree Arclight and Callisto (although I don't really care much for these two).

The entire bridge scene was unnecessary (could have taken a boat or a MUCH less inconspicuous way of travel) and the sudden change to nighttime the second he drops the bridge.

Phoenix was portrayed terribly (although, I would not say that Famke Janssen is a bad actress, I kinda like her) and was a totally underused character. Where were the flames, the phoenix (she is but a mutant in this movie as compared to the comics)?? All she does is stand there for most of the movie.

I always felt Magneto was a righteous if mislead man who inspires loyalty from his followers. In this movie, he was portrayed as a man with no morals (he abandoned Mystique who has sacrificed so much for him and the way he could care less about the pawns he sends forward in the final battle).

Too many characters (with so little screen time you can’t even be bothered with them), too many plots which leads to a rather convoluted story with little to no character development (I am more forgiving in the flimsy character development. There is only so much you can do with a 2 hour movie).

However, it does have its moments (since the movies are based more on the Ultimate X-men as compared to Earth 616, my opinion is sorta biased since I don’t really like the changes done in Ultimate X-men). Liked most of the action scenes (particularly the Danger Room). Thankfully Hugh Jackman is so good as Wolverine that I am willing to forgive the massive amounts of screen time devoted to him in all three movies and this is in spite of the fact that I don’t like the way how the world seem to revolve around him even in the comics (should have gotten rid of Halle Berry tho. She is TERRIBLE in all movies).
    *Spoiler end*

Phew… sorry for the long rant, just that I loved the X-men and am quite upset at the way the license was handled. As I said before, it makes a great watch… it just makes a poor X-men movie. Thankfully, my expectations were pretty low for the entire trilogy (which was why I was so pleasantly surprised at the quality of the first two) so I quite enjoyed this movie.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

There are spoilers below.

+
    +
    +

Jean Gray comes back?!? Aw man, I was so glad when she bought it. :aww:

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Is not just the poor comic adaptation to the movie, from what I watched in the previous two, I knew that much of the 'comic story' wouldn't be adapted to the movies, but in III, there's almost nothing like in the comics. That should be ok or enough, but isn't even a good action movie, like I said, it was too rushed, they tried to fit too much in just 104 (!?) minutes, IMHO, it seems like a terrible mistake to do a movie with this length when the same movie has enough characters and subplots to fill in a 3 hour motion picture.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I've only seen the TV trailers for the movie...but one question I have is, why did it take the 3rd movie to get Beast? :confused:

I'll see it in the theater sooner or later...if not this weekend, then the next. :rolling:

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Joseph was a clone that was supposed to be used by one of magneto's enemeies against him. But the clone lost his memory and everyone assumed he was an amnesiac magneto that wanted to atone for his past sins.

The movie deviated totally from the comics, true, but they weren't trying to do any particular story arc so I guess it can be forgiven. There's too much stuff in the X-men world to think that it can even produce a movie that has even a small complete portion of it. Knowing this, I'd have to say that I enjoyed it. It should have been longer, an hour and a half just didn't cut it for this kind of thing, but I have to say that it was much more dramatic than I thought it would be.

17. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Actually they did (with all the deviations and all ;) ).

Not sure about X-men 1, but 2 was the "God loves, man kills" story arc and 3 touches on the "Phoenix Saga". Only difference is, they manage to pull it off with the second one, but wanted to do too much in the third.

18. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Correct me I'm wrong but wasn't the movies way out of the comics right from the start (as in the first X-Men movie and probably with most any comic superheroes)? No offense intended but I still can't understand why comic fans are still dissappointed by that... I mean, gee, can't you just watch it without referencing it with the comic book?

As for spoilers... *SAFE TO READ*
    Remain seated even as the credits starts to roll and obviously felt like forever. There's a 10-second (more or less) scene right after the last credit lines have rolled up. It's a very nice twist.

:cool:

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I hear there is already talk of an X-Men 4 since the 3rd one was such a huge blockbuster. As long as the cast remains intact, I'd probably go see it...that is, *if* the decide to make it. :thumb: :rolling:

20. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    As an action movie I think the action scenes were too rushed. Must've been Ratners fault, since as far as I know he's been a music video director at some point (could be wrong though), and I think that's why many other scenes were cut too quickly as well making it harder to immerse into the feelings of the characters they were feeling at certain scenes. Good example of this is right at the finish, when something dramatic happens and bang! They cut the scene into the credits, just like that. As I recall this wasn't the case in the previous films.

About the dark phoenix I think they did pretty well considering the options. There would be enough in dark phoenix to make a whole movie, but I think that a movie in which the X-men fight Dark Phoenix the whole time and get they're hineys kicked by her would be kind of boring. The problem with the whole Dark Phoenix is that she's too powerful in the comics and too powerful for a film. I mean she could blow up the whole solar system, or at least the whole planet, and she does what in the comic? Gloats menacingly? All the time?

What's the use with such an over-powerful bad-guy character? The only way the X-men defeated her in the comic the first place was that she was holding back all the time because of her human side, and in the end she killed herself with some stupid Shi'ar ray-gun or something. So as the movie adaptation of the Dark Phoenix was uber-lame most of the film, I think her to be lame with her galaxy destroying powers in the comics as well.

The scene with Phoenix and Xavier taking it out with each other worked terribly well, and that was pretty much all that was needed from Dark Phoenix, not turning the whole movie into Jean Grey: The Dark Phoenix Returns instead of X-Men III.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.