1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WTF is that with the newly educated teachers hating commas trend?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

LMAO :D

sorry, have nothing relevant or constructive to contribute ;)

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Got any website teaching the good use of English punctuation? It's not in my school I'll get that info!

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Get yourself a grammar book, but make sure punctuation is covered. You could google something up, but make sure it's a respectable institution, such a university with a name.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Shouldn't that comma be taken out? It adds an unnecessary pause there... it sounds better: They usually do some sports as well.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What is your brother doing taking lessons from the council? Why doesn't he go to school for that?

6. chevalier

Media:
    They mostly just teach English, run the library and coordinate exams.

7. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

British people simply don't know how to use commas.

I hate to use stereotypes, but that's one that basically seems to hold up.

8. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

It's our language, we can do what we like to it :p
    Besides, grammar isn't seen as important to teach children these days

9. chevalier

Media:
    It's going to be like in the middle ages soon, I guess. Everyone speaking more or less the same, but writing it however he sees fit, just so long as it gives a remotely similar sound. And forget punctuation. :rolleyes:

10. Ofelix

Media:
    Middle ages were fun! No hygiene, government persecuting people, war, famine, no writting structure. Wait! That's simply High school... :shake:

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My highschool English teacher would have conniptions if I forwarded this thread to him...he he he.

On topic...I agree with Chev. This is atrocious. Have you spoken to the teacher about it?

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Faraaz: Conniptions? I had honestly never seen nor heard of that word before.

Obviously, you have never interacted with japanese or chinese. Especially the japanese (those exchange students at my university, anyway) can write perfect english, but to hear them speak it is an atrocity to the english language and, more importantly, my ears. And those are the japanese that have a fairly good grasp of the english language.

As Fel pointed out, the comma after 'In poland' is optional. I would've skipped the comma in front of 'as well', though.

The comma after however is not optional, of course. Putting a comma after 'In my opinion' seems to me not only advisable, but rather mandatory. The sentence certainly sounds very strange if there's no comma there.

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    But those who can make the best teachers.
    (I should know, I'm a teacher). ;)

Compared to other languages, English grammar looks quite simple and it may mislead people into thinking there is no real grammar which is certainly not the case.
    Well, you can always thank William the Conqueror and the Normans. Had there been no Norman Conquest it could well be argued that English grammar would involve this nice little linguistic phenomenon called declension as it is the case in Old English.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Henkie: I'm pretty sure I was grammatically and contextually correct in using it...

[ October 18, 2006, 09:59: Message edited by: Faraaz ]

15. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

@Henkie: I'd say you missed Chev's point.

@Faraaz: Channeling a Xaositect there?

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Faraaz: I was not saying the word did not exist, I merely pointed out I did not knew it existed. Always fun to expand one's vocabulary, no?

@Taza: Quite possibly. But it's a forum where we can post random thoughts, so I thought I'd post mine.

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@henkie: Oh...no worries then! :thumb:

18. Ofelix

Media:
    Well I agree, English's grammar *is* simplier that let's say... French :rolleyes: . However in the High school I went, English teacher simply skip all grammar althogether. That's the root of the problem I think. It is also why I've no idea whatsoever where to put a coma in english.

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Use a comma where you would 'pause' if you were reading it aloud.

We can blame Bush and rappers for mangling the English language. Sometimes I don't know what the **** they are tying to say.

20. chevalier

Media:
    Primo, I wasn't talking about people with vocal problems in English. Secundo, it depends. I've met French people studying English at an academic level and still not being able to get the sounds right. There are also teachers who teach something different from Received Pronunciation. But the problem is much less intense than what we have with the general poor quality of grammar and syntax. And, of course, ever so neglect punctuation.

Traditionally, both have to be there, especially the one before "as well". I wouldn't cut a student's grade for that (I teach English sometimes), but I would suggest putting the commas there.

Yeah. And crossing out mandatory commas is something not easily forgiven. In fact, I already am in a very, very bad mood when they cross out optional ones. But when they cross out the traditionally not skippable ones, then it's bad. Of course, it's also bad when they enforce optional ones, but crossing out mandatory ones is no longer teaching English. It's either doing a poor job or making some stupid revolution.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.