1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wrestling: Random babbling

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Disciple of The Watch, Dec 21, 2006.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Shyeah, right. He reminds me of the Rock, but on some level I liked the Rock... while I just can't bring myself to like Cena. Ok, to be honest, I don't try that much either.

Anyway, just saw WM24. I'd say it was a hit-and-miss affair, to be honest. Here's what I think of the matches:
    - JBL vs Finley: mediocre at best. It had its moments, but by and large forgettable. Having Hornswaggle as a bizzarro version of a cheerleader is absurd. Bring back the old rabid gnome or don't show him at all. Right now he's not even pity material.

- MitB: quite good, especially at times. Benjamin's performance was pretty amazing at times, and balancing on the rope when his ladder was pushed was one of the best moments in the entire thing - as well as Morrison's sault into 3 men earlier on... I hope Benjamin didn't mess his back too badly from that fall - it's not every day someone breaks a ladder with their back. In general most of the people there did a pretty good job, MVP and CM Punk excepted.

- Batista vs Umaga: ok, by and large, but is Umaga ever going to win a big match again? He's got the looks, the strength, he's not too shabby even as far as moves are concerned. It's high time he really got to mail some of the big boys instead of being just another big scary guy for the Chosen of the moment to beat. Apart from his feud with Kane almost 2 years ago, when was the last time he was treated seriously?

- Eddie Guerero vs Kane: was that supposed to be a match? I think Chavo is a pretty ok wrestler, but I do appreciate Kane getting a good push. Yet... In ECW?

- Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels: started very well, but the end was meh, as an extension of "shoot the dog" metaphor shoved down our throats the whole time. Flair put a very good performance in the start of the game (better than I have seen from him in years), and made for a good retirement match despite that pathetic plot angle. Good bye, Naitch - we will never forget you.
    I need to find some of his classic matches. Any good suggestions?

- Female match: In itself, the match was quite passable as far as the category goes, although I expected a lot more from a WWE champion, even in that division. Everything about it, however, was pure farce. But hey, what's a little smut if we want to get a few more bucks?

- Orton vs Cena vs Triple H: a good match, overall. I'm surprised Orton retained, and I would have prefered Triple H as a a winner - but the result wasn't too bad either: don't count someone out until you see their corpse, as the Bene Gesserit says ;) . Orton could use a little more skill, but he's tolerable.

- Big Show vs Floyd Merryweather: hybrid matches generally tend to be BS. This one was no different.

- Edge vs Undertaker: I've long had a strange liking for the Edge, and I just saw why. When he's not running around like a boneless chicken he can put a great fight, and that's just what he did. Together with the Undertaker, they delivered a great match that had only one drawback: it didn't last longer.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sorry disciple but after watching some of the czw clips on youtube, i really cant call that wrestling. It's just a bunch of guys taking serious bumps. I much prefer japanese wrestling. This is just glorified backyard wrestling. oh well to each his own

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Also, notice the complete lack of blood at WM24, until Edge taps out to Taker's gogoplata (yes, the move is actually named like that).

MiTB didn't cut it for me. Yeah, it had some good moments, but FFS, the list of participants was ridiculous - MVP? Overpaid and overrated jackass. Carlito? Oh please, this guy is a freaking joke. When I saw the overpaid, overrated jackass about to pick up the case, I swear the whole building heard me curse... then bam, Matt Hardy saves the day -- litteraly. And CM Suck winning? Let's just hope the kid has enough brains to get off that sorry excuse of a laughable joke of a wasted hour of a show called Extremely Crappy Wrestling. He can challenge for the US, or even the Intercontinental, for all I care, but he has way too much talent to remain on this C show.

Umaga is supposed to move to Smackdown. Would be a good thing too, there are some more credible feuds for him there, like the Great Plan B, Big Show, Taker, Mark Henry.

The Female match? One of the biggest laughable jokes I have seen in my entire life. Enough said.

And You can't see me? Good thing it's a Fatal 4-way, finally. If only HHH, Orton and JBL could work together long enough to take this idiot out of the equation, then tear themselves apart like a part of rabid animals for the damn strap.

And whoever wins... please get rid of this blinged horror and restore the classic WWE Championship.

Hmmmmm.... well, Flair had some amazing matches with Dragon Steamboat, Harley Race, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Dean Malenko... but one that stands out would be Flair vs Antonio Inoki. Nearly 200k people crammed into an arena in Pyongyang to watch the two all time greats collide.

The Royal Rumble for the WWE Championship (which Flair won) was great too, though I don't remember exactly which one it was - 1991 or 1992, IIRC.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

There are a couple WWE produced DVDs that have soem of Ric Flair's greatest matches. Seems to me there was a Four Horsemen DVD, a Ric Flair DVD and a Flair Match on the Greatest Stars of the 80's DVD.

You Tube might be able to help you as well. I don't know if there's ways to get a hod of some old NWA footage on DVD or even Flair's first run in WWE...

That's the way Flair used to act. He'd get DQ'ed or hide behind the Horsemen until the big match came then he'd deliver an absolute classic--and usually retain the belt! Many have tried the trick, but they've never delivered what the Nature Boy did.

AS fro Kane vs Guererro and CM Punk winning MitB, I see this as trying to build the ECW brand in the form more pleasing to Vince. The problem is that the original ECW was so raw that they pissed off whoever they could (unfortunately they didn't always get away with it). By putting Kane, Punk, Bourke, Benjamin, Morrison, Kevin Thorn, Stevie Richards there, you have some attempt to deliver the calibre of action that the old school ECW fans liked. This fails because the only way to accomplish that would be to give Paul Heyman Vince's chequebook and hide the corporate logo...

5. Disciple of The Watch

CZW is Ultraviolence. You have to be a bit loose upstairs to like that kind of stuff, but suffice to say I'd rather watch CZW than those pathetic excuses of wanna be wrestling called WWE and TNA.

WWE is aimed to kids (minus the occasional silicon-inflated cows), TNA is trying to emulate WWE, and thanks to Russo, they're doing a very good job of doing just that.

Japanese wrestling is great stuff, no arguments about that, but it lacks violence.

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I always thought MMA does a better job at that anyway.

7. Disciple of The Watch

MMA? Don't get me wrong, UFC is great stuff, but I can't watch an UFC PPV without being bored out of my skull. CZW, OTOH... I could watch five or six DVDs in a row with no problems, as long as it's deathmatches or cage matches - the regular wrestling match slipped every now and then just doesen't cut the mustard for me.

But back to the pathetic Wish We were Entertaining - the Draft is April 21st, and it's gonna be interesting who ends up as a jobber on Raw. Whacklash is gonna be another pathetic PPV - f*** you, Regal, because thanks to you, You can't see me has forced his way in the main event. Haven't we had enough already? It was bad enough that this a**hole won the RR, he gets two more title matches and gets another one? Can I kill myself now?

As for Total Nonstop A-holery... the pathetic Lockdown is finally upon us. Woo. Excuse me, I think I'm gonna fall asleep.

8. Gnarfflinger

MMA, WWE, TNA, CZW, they all have their target audience. MMA is an actual athletic competition. WWE is designed for over marketed crap (Seen-it is perfect for them). TNA caters to an action based audience, but Russo seems to want to cram WWE BS into it to make money for the company. I've read that story before--in Eric Bischoff's book. CZW, as DotW has described, seems to cater to the crowd that demands ultra violence...

9. Disciple of The Watch

CZW is not just ultraviolence. The vast majority of people fail to see how athletic CZW guys are. Just look at the TOD1, for example - Nick Gage had TWO matches in the SAME NIGHT, while Nick Mondo and Wifebeater had THREE, and Wifebeater went on to win the Deathmatch Championship. It takes some incredible athletes to do what the CZW guys do. Love CZW or hate CZW, you have to respect the CZW roster's athletic conditioning.

Back to Total Nonstop A-holery: Squirt Angle has finally been dethroned.

10. Disciple of The Watch

HAHAHA... did you see how Black Moronic lost the X-Title? Absolutely BRILLIANT!!

And man, am I glad to be rid of this A-hole... I'm sure Petey will be a great X Champ.

11. Gnarfflinger

Actually, I think that Steiner would be a great mentor for Petey. Both got the job done in the ring, but nobody cared unless they were fighting them. But they changed that when they became more of a Character while keeping the in ring skill there.

But yes, I'm glad to see Jay Lethal lose. Maybe he'll realize that he looks like an idiot and try something new. Then we work on (work over?) Sonjay Dutt...

12. Disciple of The Watch

Sonjay Dutt?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This guy is a lower card jobber, plain and simple. Lethal is a talented young guy, I'll give him that, but this ridiculous gimmick makes him look like a real joke. If he could ditch it and focus on WRESTLING like he did in ROH, I'll admit he could be a pretty potent X competitor.

Petey & Steiner? I can see Petey screwing Steiner now that he has gotten what he wanted -- the X title shot.

And it looks like Storm is feuding with Stink -- this is a golden opportunity to push Storm as a future World champion, because let's face it, Storm has what it takes. Roode does too, but I find it rather pathetic Hooker B and his skank came out on top at Lockdown.

13. Gnarfflinger

They need a few jobbers in the X division, and with Sharkboy getting a push, then there's a place for Dutt--the guy that makes these guys look good. Every once in a while, he needs a win to remain the illusion of credibility...

I think that Petey should learn what he can from Steiner before the old folks home realized he should be there...

Storm and Roode are getting pushed nicely, but it takes time to build that kind of credibility. Stink and Hooker B are good foils for now.

What happened to AJ Styles? He's turned into a whiny little b****. He should be leading the charge against guys like Stick, Hooker B, Big Papa Puke, Kevin Trash, Squirt Angle and the other guys that sunk with WCW...

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I've only watched a few recent TNA shows so I can't take AJ seriously. What was he like before the sissification hit?

15. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

shaman, go to youtube & check out some of his older matches. there was a reason he was called the phenomenal one

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I will. Any match in particular I should watch?

17. Disciple of The Watch

The X Title match against Jerry Lynn was one of the most solid matches I ever seen. IIRC, it ended as double countout, and is followed by a 10 minute ironman match - another stalemate.

AJ was part of a King of the Mountain match when he was NWA World Heavyweight Champion - great stuff.

He had a good tag team run with Christopher Daniels - worthwhile tag team wrestling.

And yes, I'll agree with martaug here, there is a reason why this guy is called phenomenal. If only TNA could pull their heads out of their arses and give AJ a serious X title run, or hell, even a WHC run, we'd be in for quite a treat, let me tell you.

There is a reason why this guy is a three time Triple Crown champ, and the VERY FIRST one.

18. Gnarfflinger

There's also an AJ Styles DVD that shows what he's capable of (if they are competent with their marketing). Sheck out the one on Christopher Daniels as well...

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I have to see if I can see that X-title match, then. I saw one Styles-Lynn match, but it was from WWA. Still, the ending was arguably one of the most impressive aerial moves I've seen - ever.

20. Disciple of The Watch

Mea culpa, Lynn vs Styles match + Ironman was NOT for the X title - I remember Low-Ki arriving with the X-Title and interfering after the Ironman match which ended up as a Triple Threat ladder match for the X-Title.

Hahaha... you gotta love Kane... Edge invited him on the Cutting Edge, Edge went back to the Lita episode (...?), then told the titles are the property of the Guerrero family (...?). Kane says that the only one left would be Vickie, and that he would take care of her. There's a brawl, Kane eventually fights them off, then tells Edge he and The Undertaker would "take care" of Vickie...

It would seem the Brothers of Destruction have some plans for Vickie. Good -- I personally can't wait to see Teddy Long back as GM. And speaking of GMs, William Regal won the King of The Ring (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.