1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worthwhile Mods

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by elric13, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Heh, +1 Str doesn't seem so bad at first, until you remember that Minsc already has 18 Str and that +1 will push him up to 19, therefore removing any need for a Girdle of Strength. The Girdle goes to someone else, they get more powerful and suddenly your party packs a bigger punch than it should at that point in the game. Plus that Str bonus will also affect Minsc's Thac0! What got to me the most about that quest wasn't the bonuses Minsc got, but the trolls. Challenges are good; unavoidable, unkillable monsters are not.

2. elric13 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Shaitan,

But would you install both UB and QP at the same time?

3. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Trolls are fixed.

There isn't that big difference from 18/99 to 19.

I allways use UB and QP - They cannot be overlooked.

4. Aegor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I also always use QP and UB at the same time, I just skip the Minsc quest at installation. Even with the trolls fixed quest's rewards are still bad for game balance.

5. elric13 Gems: 3/31

I agree, +1 STR is not that bad, -6 THACO seems a lot as a bonus if added to the rest.
    The quest sounds fun though, I always thought it a shame an important character like minsc had no quest.
    So I guess I'll install QP and UB at the same time. I wanted to try the tower of deception as well, but this causes conflict "restored crroked crane" ?

6. Aegor Gems: 5/31

Well in my case the mage from ToD didn't appear in the Crooked Crane Inn so we thought it was because of the UB. You can skip that part when you install the mod, I'm sure you'll manage without the two gamblers it adds ;) .

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

After a quick look, it's UB which introduces incompatibility risk (to all mods that want to use that area) by replacing Crooked Crane's assigned script, to make it consistent with the area name. (Completely unnecessary.)

You can still install UB and ToD, and when you are in Crooked Crane, use these commands (one of them might not be needed, but I didn't check ToD so let's assure no incoherene will happen):

CreateCreature("VA#TIAN")
    SetGlobal("VA#TianExists","AR0021",1)

By the way, Tower of Deception can be installed and played without starting a new game, and its new release will be out soon -- where the problem caused by UB will be dealt with.

8. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I second IA, but the difficulty can be daunting

9. elric13 Gems: 3/31

cool, thanks for you answers.
    In terms of patches and fixpacks, I saw a new fixpack out. Is that the only one needed?
    For TOD, I'll wait for the new version then.

10. Baronius

If you've referred to the G3 (or BG2) Fixpack or the newest release of Baldurdash-WeiDU, then my answer is no -- if you want to play Improved Anvil. IA requires the original (non-WeiDU) Baldurdash Fixpack. Install the ToB final patch first, and then Baldurdash (but please see the installation instructions in IA's readme). By the way, the original Baldurdash contains almost all important fixes, so there is no need to worry that you will experience serious anomalies or errors in your game.

11. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Expanded Thief Stonrghold is absolutely essential. Adds some nice items, and I think it also comes with the Improved Maevar mod which is one of my favourite fights in the game.

Improved Anvil is a rather popular option, though I presonally don't like it. If you feel the same or just want to try something new down the road, Tactics and Item Upgrade fill the same spot as Improved Anvil but allow you to pick which fights you want harder and which you want to leave untouched.

12. Baronius

I wouldn't say Item Upgrade and Tactics can be compared to IA in many respects (amount and type of content, style, how you get the items etc.), i.e. wouldn't fill the slot IMO. However, playing IA requires much experience and thinking, some battles are really difficult. Some optional quests can be especially tough -- a real challenge to veteran players.

13. Aegor Gems: 5/31

Yes, but IA still is a bit easier than the Tactics/Improved Battles combo. It's just that it's such a well made and "complete" mod that it really is a standard these days. But I still add some components from Tactics/IB to my IA installation (those that are compatible of course) to make it more challenging. Although for someone who didn't play T/IB before I would imagine that IA will be a nice step in between.

14. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Aegor, which version of IA are you playing with?

Because in my last game before IA4, I had Tactics/I.Battles/Ascension and all the other tactical mods + DEF JAM and Tougher Enemies (MixMod) on top of that and my game was still easier overall.

IMO only Ascension on insane can be compared with the most difficult battles of IA, though I must say that it was my first game with IA4 and all the battles are more difficult the first time.

15. Aegor Gems: 5/31

I'm playing IA version 3 (still haven't tried v4 since I want to finish my current game first). I don't know... it could be that Tactics/IB/Ascension seemed harder to me since I started playing them right after I finished the vanilla game. After all the tricks I picked up with those mods I guess that IA seemed somehow easier...

16. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

This is true. Also note that IA adds many more features to the game than just items and tactical challenges. It adds new quests, new encounters, new types of monsters, many essential fixes and tweaks, and a popular randomization program.
    @Aegor
    I strongly recommend that you update IA from v3 to v4.1 as soon as possible even if it means that you should leave your current game and start a new one. (Also, read IA v4.1 installation document very carefully.)

17. Aegor Gems: 5/31

I might do that Sikret. Just one question about the new IA. In the v3 version some monsters with high regeneration would get moral failure and start running if I would lower their health to a certain level (for ex. the cleric in the slavers quest, yuan-ti mage in D'Arnise keep...). Now this was really annonying since this would allow then to regenerate completely so I had to start all over again. I'm just wondering if this was fixed.

18. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It is fixed, not only for that reason, but for more other reasons.

19. Aegor Gems: 5/31

Great, thanks Sikret :) . I guess I'll give IA4 a go then...

20. elric13 Gems: 3/31

Thanks for all th info, definetly giving IA4 a try, as well as UB, and banter pack, and the new tower of deception which doesn't conflict with UB anymore (?)
    Also, what of the follwing:
    he Darkest Day, Shadows over Soubar, Return to Trademeet and Tortured Souls

Finally, what are the best new NPC mods, fun non-overpowered NPC

thanks!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.