1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst RPG game ever

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Grey Magistrate, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

:lol: Yes, NWN was pretty crappy. But at least it was bug-free and had a coherent story.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

NWN's single player was crappy. The multiplayer was great fun. Considering how it was desgined for multiplayer I don't see how people can judge it purely on its single player. Would you judge Quake III, Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, Everquest or Star Wars: Galaxies by just their single player? You expected Baldur's Gate, what you got was NWN. If Baldur's Gate hadn't been made nobody would call NWN a bad game. It simply had big shoes to fill.

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Morrowind, the game looks so great, but damn it's boring, there seams to be no story and the quest are not fun, the battle systems sucks major ass, and so on.
    Luckily it seems that all the things I didn't like about the game is going to be Changed in Elder scrolls IV.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Abomination

Point taken with the comparison to counterstrike. and you're right, I was expecting a BG and got.. NWN :/

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Dungeon Siege! Mindless Diablo rip-off, which didn't have the stuff even Diablo had going for it...

AND the game was essentially flawed as far as RPGs go...

All enemies are the same level as you...so you don't have any incentive to level up, because the lowly Krugs always fight you with the same amount of difficulty if you are lvl 9 or lvl 99.

Waste of money.

6. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Final Fantasy.

The whole series.

And the Final Fantasy Tactics series.

Every single game in either series is a serious contender for the oh-so-dubious honor of the Kam's Worst RPG Ever (tm) award.

7. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ultima IX - not just because it was a very poor, bug-riddled game, but because it was supposed to be the grand finale of the trilogy of trilogies. It ignored the history, patronised the Ultima fans, commited vast numbers of astonishing continuity errors...

So many games are disappointing, but after something great like VII, and the hope of something great after VIII, it was terrible.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@ Abomination - If you think Lands of Lore 2 was an overhyped flop you should take a look at #3. :nolike:

Compared to Lands of Lore 3 the second one looks like a masterpiece.

I really did like the original Lands of Lore, it is such a pitty that the sequals were so poor.

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I always though that a RPG needed to have some element of choice in it. By that logic, I'd probably put IWD2 in top spot. As an RPG, it sucks. As a hackfest, it's usually enjoyable, but would be better off just dropping any pretensions of being a RPG and go straight for the (metaphorical) jugular.

EDIT: But by that logic, Star Control III was a role-playing game... I guess I'll have to take back that award, sorry IWD2. A shame, since SC2 was one of the best games I've ever played and still stacks up fairly well now, despite being over a decade old.

10. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Morrowind could have been good if they had plot. The landscape is quite good and I found the combat alright. Yet plot, quests and dialogues are critical in an RPG so its on the bad list.

NWN OC lack good plot and quests. Seeing as my good computer isn't connected to the internet, I can't play multi player. So in my eyes; ARGH!

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Neverwinter Nights and diablo 2
    both claim to be an rpg game but they are really just action games

12. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The all-mighty Temple of Elemental Evil. Some say the game is full of bugs...i say: The whole game is a huge bug!!!

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31

ToEE was fun, I've played through it 3 times and counting. It desperately needs some more content though.

14. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I vote Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. How many times did I need to watch the same motion for the same action that took all of thirty seconds each time with no way to skip it. My friend and I had been trading off and played for what seemed like 20 minutes but was really, TWO AND A HALF HOURS.

From Hell's Heart I stab at thee pointless turnbased action RPG based on the hokiest story I've ever heard.

Whoops! I totally spaced that no one here includes console RPG's. Let the revision take place:

Third Age is the worst console RPG, which clearly makes it worst RPG ever, since no console RPG I've played has been very good at all.

My vote for worst computer RPG is Drakken. At least I think that's what it was called. Anyone would think that a game in which you play a Xena-like babe riding a dragon whilst you collected exp., artifacts, and quests, would kick ass. Should kick ass, but after only 3 levels the benefits of leveling up are none existent as the monsters don't get any harder at all, Your still on the first of 5 continents and have found the best weapons, armor, and skills you can get. Suckfest of my lifetime i'twere.

In all honesty though I'm very careful with my RPG's and stayed away from the horrendously reviewed ones, such as Ultima IX, Land of Lore 3, and Dungeon Siege. I always manage to find obscure gems, like Gothic and the Exile and Avernum games by Spiderweb software, games no one I know or live within 2000 miles of knows about.

[ December 16, 2004, 07:23: Message edited by: The Irreligious Paladin ]

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I don't really think Diablo, Dungeons Siege, et al should be eligable for "worst RPG"--they're not RPGs. They're action games with leveling. And, as action games go, they're not half bad. As RPGs, they suck. A lot ;)

I'm going to go with worst RPG "series": Might and Magic. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

16. Newfie Banned

A lot of fantasy games get thrown into the RPG category simply because they are fantasy. Here are some of my best and worst:

Best

Baldur's Gate
    Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (#1!)
    Icewind Dale
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic(#2!)

Worst

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
    Lionheart (Please no one else be as stupid as me and buy this game)
    Icewind Dale 2
    Morrowind

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.