1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

worst PC games ever?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by AlexGK, May 9, 2003.

1. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I wouldn't put the 4th Monkey Island in there, although I didn't think much of it. Found myself fighting a control system that did't add anything to the game.

Whilst personally the only game I've ever taken back to a shop is TOCA Race Driver (not a patch on the previous version), and IWD II only just missed out (no time to). I wouldn't say either was the worst I played.

2. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I once played a 'game' called Akalabeth. It was the game released by the guy who called himself Lord British before he created the Ultima series.

reepnorp has covered it before, but I'll mention it again. The main character is a box with an X in it, nothing on the map is understandable (I thought I started in a lake. It was a city.), and due to our computer being so VASTLY superior to the ones Akalabeth was meant to be played on, the game moved at warp speed. Even if it was slower, taking one 'step' (about the size of a city tile) and starving to death wasn't fun. We never got off the starting screen. Ugh.

If you really want to see it, I'm sure it can be found at some stupid warez site, or you can do like we did and be forced to get it. See, we bought the Ultima Collection. It came with Ultima I - VIII, and as a bonus, it also included Akalabeth. Oh joy. (The box was cheating. It showed only cinematic scenes, and a couple of shots from Ascension, which it said in tiny letters wasn't included.)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can't call a game bad just because it's old. At the time Akalabeth was released it was immensely popular, and it was the height of what could be done in terms of games at that point. (Well, maybe not actual height, but certainly not any worse than any other game at that time.) Sure, you can't stomach it today because you're only used to today's games, but anyone who has played and enjoyed it then would probably find playing it again 20 years later a very fun nostalgic trip. Just like playing text input adventures feels for me. But if you try to explain to someone used only to games made in the last 5 years that actually TYPING text in to tell the character in the game what to do can be fun, they'll probably just stare at you and think you're from the Mars or something. (Btw, slowdown programs exist that can bring these games to work normally on today's fast computers.)

Btw, Richard Garriot aka Lord British still calls himself that in most of his CRPGs.

4. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Touche. Point taken.

5. Alaeila Harktree Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

A lot of the much older games are a lot better than today's games, simply because they had a better plot or something like that. The original Eye of the Beholder, I thought, was better than the new one they made for GBA.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Windows.

Seriously speaking... oh, I *was* serious. So, strictly concerning games, I don't know the worst ever one. I only know what disappointed me. The greatest disappointment was probably Might and Magic 8. I refused to play it.

Really stinking ones: Horde, Saga: the Rage of Vikings (IIRC the original title).

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

For me the greatest disapointment was Lords of magic. I played the demo and I found it intersting but when I played the full version, well it just sucks.

@Chevalier

Rage of vikings is not a great game but it has a feature that I have not seen in any other game. You have to place a male and a female in a house in order to produce a new unit.

[ June 21, 2003, 10:06: Message edited by: BOC ]

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Worst game?
    Any that comes with your computer. Especially Myst III. That p****d me off. I couldn't find where to go despite wasting 3 hours of my life looking around.

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Of course, everyone here probably knows that Mechwarrior4 holds a special place in my heart.

That said, I might agree with anyone who says Obsidian or Riven.

Obsidian was one of the Myst clones. But the puzzles were SO abstract, that without mind-altering drugs or dreaming about the game, you stood very little chance of completing it. There was like, one or two logical puzzles in it. The rest was pure crack. Not coca leaves; crack.

Riven sucked because the plot was terrible. And that one puzzle with the marbles was so abstract and obscure, that it stuckered people for an enormous amount of time. The pictures and sounds were pretty, and everything. But the puzzle formation was just abysmal.

I haven't played Daikatna, even though I still have the disk on a spindle somewhere. It's on my to-do list, as is Soulbringer.

10. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

*ALL* of the myth games, the most recent civilization game, and Dune 2000.

11. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hey! A fellow text adventure fan! I was beginning to think I was the only one on this forum who even knew what a text adventure was. ;)

Worst game I've ever played? Can't remember off hand. Generally if games are incredibly bad I throw them away and try to forget that I wasted my money on them.

But worst recent game has got to be Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. To think I'd just finished BG2 and came along POR and the first thing that went through my mind was: "ah, another epic RPG! I bet this'll be as good as BG2! Great!"

Several hours later the game was being deleted and I was shuddering at the sheer horror of it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.