1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World XI vs Australia

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The World XI handed them the victory on a plate. The Aussies showed why they are still the best side in the world though, at least in one dayers. The World XI really sucked though, big time. Sehwag, Kallis, Lara, Dravid, KP, Afridi all went for Under 10 runs each. I mean, quality like that?!

No great performances by any players on either side, not a great days cricket really. Hopefully the World XI can make more of a match of it in the next game!

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I think this was probably on the cards. The World XI don't play together regularly, and Australia are hungry to salvage pride after their Ashes defeat. It was England's team ethic more than the individual performances that enabled them to get one over on Australia, something that the World XI side were always going to struggle for the first match at the very least. Expect a better showing next match, from both sides. And I noticed that Damien Martyn quacked out - can you say "under pressure batsman"? Of course, he's bound to knock off a ton next innings, now...

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think national pride is an often underestimated factor. The Australian team has a reason for winning, whilst the World XI only has personal pride to play for. Australia have personal AND national pride at stake.

But I guess the World guys will be a bit embarrassed now so should try harder in the next game.

Actually, despite my reservations about his inclusion in the team, our man Dan Vettori actually played quite well.

I'm gutted that I am in going to be in Melbourne NEXT week instead of THIS week, because otherwise I could have actually gone to see a game.

4. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, like what HB said, a few World XI players played well, Vettori and the other spinner (can't spell his name) bowled pretty well. But they just need some more experience playing together and they would be a really good team. Which I guess is taken for granted seen as they are called the 'World XI'

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

About bloody time we won a match. It was a decent beating, too. Now, on to the real question - why the hell couldn't they bat like that against Flintoff two months ago? I know it's a different format, but really!

The press here is predictably elated after the match; I won't bother you guys with details except to say that I expect KP to cop some serious stick unless he pulls off something special in the next couple of games. Flintoff, at least, is getting due respect.

I think HB's dead on; after the Ashes series, the Australian side really has something to prove, to itself and to its opponents. The World XI does not; or at least, it didn't until last night's match. Getting thumped by a side which was supposedly on the decline shouldn't do much except inspire them to lift their performances.

Here's to the next two one-dayers, and especially the 6-day test!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    The problem is with the World XI that the players, although they obviously would like to win, it's not like playing for their respective nations. I'm not saying they don't give a **** about this series, but it's not like playing in the Ashes, you know what I mean.
    If you want an example, just look at Flintoff's less-than-voiciferous (sp?.. you know what I mean!) appeals compared to his throat ripping shouts of last month. Although I think he was a little unlucky not to get at least one wicket, he got slapped about and I think that's more to do with the occasion than Flintoff himself.
    The same goes for KP really; he does it when it's really needed. A big game player. Let's also say that KP and Flintoff play in Pakistan in a few weeks time so Michael would be *very* unhappy if either of them picked up an injury in this series...

It's just a shame that this is on Oz time! It means that I don't get to see a lot of it live. Gutted.

Sidenote - it's a shame that Shahid Afridi has lost his place to Chris Gayle. I think this series is to entertain more than anything and Afridi is fantastic to watch if he gets going. He makes KP look like Boycott!!

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Second match is on at the moment - Australia's batting first and at 1 for 168. Gilchrist just smacked 100 off 73 balls or so. Good to see him back in his element, throwing the bat and belting the attack all over the shop.

Heh, that was how I felt during the Ashes series, BA. Although in hindsight, that may have been a blessing...

8. Steeze Gems: 10/31

First innings of the second match just finished, Australia ended up with 4/328, very good score :p gonna need some excellent batting by the world XI, but Pieterson injuring himself in the last over could hurt them there.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

World XI are soo screwed.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    What a tonking again. Another load of rubbish served up by the World XI. Just goes to show how good England are really :lol: .

Is it me or are there loads of empty seats at these games? Aren't the Aussies bothered by it? It does seem to have died on it's arse a bit, after a big build up...

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, the England boys aren't exactly doing that well for the World XI either so I wouldn't go showing off about that. Flintoff has been bowling like a mug.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Judge him against Pakistan in 2 weeks time and on his Ashes performances. In other words, games that matter :) .

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I guess the importance of the team was highlighted by the run outs - that kind of thing would never happen in a good team.

@Barmy, concerning the crowds - yeah I think there was only ~14,500 people there, in a stadium that has a capacity of ~45,000. I think that the general notation of an Australia vs. the rest of the world series lost a bit of shine after the Ashes defeat.

BTW why don't they have a roof and lights over all the English grounds? It worked a charm the other day.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    I was up at 5.30am this (badly hungover) morning to catch this ODI, bloody time zones :lol: . Aussies currently 124/2 after 21 overs. What concerns me most though, is that Pietersen has a slightly pulled hamstring and Flintoff has just gone off with a hurt wrist after dropping a catch. Hope it's nothing serious for either of them.

@ Stu - I don't know to be honest mate. I think the argument has always been that lights create shadows that make the ball harder to see. But it did seem to work well the other day. These Aussie grounds are well modern!!

15. Stu Gems: 20/31

Damn there goes Ponts - caught Lara bowled Muralitheran.
    3/143 now - looks like the wold side may be in with half a chance - too bad for them that the series has already been lost.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    And there goes Martyn, 148/5. The spinners are doing the bizz here. Probably right to keep them on at both ends because the ball is doing nothing for the pacers. I guess that's a thing that a roof and all this cover does, stops the ball swinging a lot.

17. Steeze Gems: 10/31

Symonds aswell now, for just one. I have a feeling this game could go the World XI way.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31

Hopefully some of the younger players step up. And you havn't seen the Aussies bowl yet, the world XI may stuggle on this pitch as well.

Andrew Symonds - probably the most inconsistant player in the game, very capable of scoring a (half )century and a duck in two successive games.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's easy to say that, but it was a good ball from Murali to be fair to him. I like Symonds, I think he's one of the best all-rounders in the game. His allround play is all to a high level. His bowling is best though, he can fast bowl and spin equally well. Very useful player.

20. Stu Gems: 20/31

@Barmy - He's magic on some days! Interestingly both his bowling and batting averages are at 37.7!
    One of the best all rounders - not in the traditional sense - there are plently of better batsman/bowlers in the game at the moment (Flintoff especially). As you stated above Symmo's range of balls is amazing, coupled with a decent (albeit unrelyable) batting average, he is a very interesting player.

The Aussie selectors certainly havn't been afraid to change the one day side for the series. I hadn't even heard of half of them before the series.

BTW Shaun Tait has pulled a Glenn McGrath, begining a "better than expected" recovery from his shoulder operation. I hope he recovers very soon, otherwise the team will be South Australianless for a Test!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.