1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Trade Center

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yes. the worst thing that could happen is that america destroys afganistan in search of Osama, finds him, and punishes him. then some internal terrorist group, or some terrorist group from wherever else laughs and does it again. double whammy. not only has america done nothing in prevention of an atrocity, it has committed one itself.

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] This discussion is no longer what should be done. It is whether or not the american leaders of the US-army is filled with psychos or retards. Mindless freaks or warmongers

Please ppl. keep those predictions to the senstaional press.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 15, 2001).]

3. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] No! No! No! If I had meant they had it coming, then I would have SAID they had it coming. That was not what I meant.
    I am NOT trying to make your country look like it deserved it.
    I just mentioned an example of a situation when thousands of innocents were killed, and nobody weeped for them.
    I might as well have mentioned what happened in Nanking or the destruction of Lindisfarne.
    It just seems like you americans consider yourselves more important than everybody else.
    I know it is wrong to generalize, but that is the image America has in the rest of the world.
    America sure wouldn't be ready to "bomb them back to the stone age" if this had happened in Europe.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Are you kidding? We Americans would jump at the chance to bomb somebody back to the stone age given the flimsiest of excuses! At least that's what I've learned by reading some of these posts! ;)

5. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Have to admit that in the last few years, it has seemed like that hasn't it? I think it's just the reputation from these years that has people saying that.

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

american leaders meddle in the affairs of other countries and their people pay for the consequences

not only that, but now they're dragging the rest of the world into this, in a "fight against evil"

anyone who doesnt help the US is evil

so sayeth the american leaders

7. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] exactly my point

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] So Kevlar0101 when the next terrorist plain crashes in the business city of Brussel since its too hard to attack US, you really don't care? You'll just say, shit happens and spam some more on SP?

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] My goodness! Where does this nonsense come from?

"Dragging the rest of the world"? Oh really? So all that talk of solidarity and standing by the US was all talk out of the other side of the collected countries' faces? You're saying that all those world leaders are two-faced and really don't want to fight terrorism after they've seen what the terrorists are now prepared to do?

And when has anyone in (let alone the leaders of) the US said that you're evil unless you help us? If someone has said that, that's certainly news to me and I would be shocked to learn that it was true.

I am flabbergasted at the nonsense about the US that I have been seeing here lately, and even more surprised that this upwelling of bad feelings toward the US has been triggered by this act of terrorism.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Tassadar, 90% of the civilized countries (by our terms) agreed to support USA in any way possible the first day after the attacks. No one asked them. No one forced them. It's just a natural course of action. If someone sees someone hurt, they don't walk around in a wide arc until the injured starts wailing, but help right away.

And I don't see the point in all this bickering about how fighting against terrorism is a bad idea in any way or form. I mean, every country could experience something like this (hijacking a plane would only be easier elsewhere), and anyone sane would do anything possible to prevent it. If USA rids the world of the most prominent terrorists and strikes enough fear into the hearts of its supporters, we'll all be better off. The only thing I can say is that's it's about time already. If they did it sooner, this atrocity might never have happened.

Anyone advocating a pacifist course of action should think really hard about this whole matter. What would it take for you to see things as they are? Empire state building destroyed? White House? Statue of Liberty? If you don't live in the USA, your country's most famous building?

Well I've got news for you... It could happen tomorrow, next week or a week later. Do you really want to wait for it to happen and then say "Oh, if only I had the sense before to think a bit further..."?

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited September 16, 2001).]

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

so what is the resolution then? a constructive way of ending all this nonsense without it ending in more violence?

plan:
    1) find out whats pissing these people off so much
    2) stop doing it
    3) reinforce step 2
    4) now they have no more reason to hate
    5) no more terrorists

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah! Such an easy solution! Well done Tassadar! Maybe you ought to present your innovative plan to the terrorists; I'm sure they'll stop killing innocent civilians since it pisses a lot of people off if you ask REAL nicely.

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

youd be surprised

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think the whole world would be. :heh:

The bastards who did this don't even have the guts to admit it, and you think they'd listen just if you ask nicely? Nice dream world you're living in.

15. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Nobleman, we arent the ones that killed 1000nds of innocent people with carpet bombing, so stfu :flaming:

16. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

How do you strike fear into the hearts of people that willingly blow themselves up to achieve some quasi-religious goal?

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Kevlar, So you think this terrorist attack is an deliberate revenge on wars that the US engaged eh?If That is your shield against fear its ok with me. Then you probably wont understand this neither:

Even if it is revenge against US- warfare, then terrorism is obviously able to hit a business center. It happened once now. What if Jihad gets inspiration to do this against the free market economy? Brussel is an obvious and easy target. God Bless it wont happen!

EDITED HERE: Azuardu, it's hard to strike fear into the ones you kill. You are hinting that the entire Afgahnistan has this Quasi-religious goal materialised in attacks against the US? Well I think they would be offended to hear that.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 16, 2001).]

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] IF the US and the rest of the ruling class ("western" countries) of the world figure out who was the main planner of this atrocious act. And if it leads to afganistan there is a problem. You cant bomb the country back to the stoneage. It is already there. It is a country that completely lacks everything that a modern society has so cruisemissiles wont do much good. If we really want the people behind this and they are in Afganistan, groundtroops are the only answer and as the sovietunion came to know its a hard people and a difficult country to occupy.

19. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] And you think the standard of the US-army year 2001 is equivalent with the russian army 1979?

I hope that the US-army is more competent.

20. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Okay, it seems that a few people here have miss-interpreted my words. I did not mean to imply we deserved these attacks, just that these terrorists were driven to the desparation and fanaticism to do this by events directly cuased by us.

Voltric: You could not be more wrong.
    "The actions taken on Tuesday were only cause by the group that committed them. The US was not at war and was not attacking any other country. These groups or maybe it nations that committed this act did so for the simple fact that they hate us and what we stand for."
    Now why is it that they hate us so much? How is it that we've created such an overwhelming anti-US sentiment that people are being motivated to the point of become these mindless-fanatical-zealots that pull off these despicable acts? Becuase we've been repeatedly blundering in middle eastern affairs.

Examples:
    Iran. Throughout the 70s America maintained strong ties with Iran, which was rapidly becoming a developed nation, yet had an economic policy that created a huge income gap, to which the Iranian goverment largely ignored. We new this and did nothing. The Iranians exported huge ammounts of oil to us so we could honestly care less. Finally when the Iranians revolted, we protected thier leader from them. Hence the Iranian anti-american sentiment.
    Iraq. We push them out of Kuwait, but instead of removing Saddam and his regime, we sanction his nation, starving his people, pushing them to the extremes that breed terrorists.
    Afghanistan. The political instability, wide-spread corruption and the existance of the Taliban was the indirect result of US funding of anti-communist guerrillas. Yes, the USSR needed to be pushed back, but once they were we left instead of helping them establish a working government, we left them to fight amongst themselves, heavilly armed and already driven to over-zealous fanaticism of thier cuase by the Russians.
    And there are many more that could be listed.

They did not do this simply because they hate us for being a freedom loving nation. Muslims are as freedom loving as any American, within the confines of Islam, they have just been pushed over the edge, by us, and the regimes in place because of us.

Those who were responsible will and must be brought to justice; that much is certain. However I fear the insueing missle strikes and armed interventions, in addition to the certain executions of any directly involved in this incident will most likely result in more terrorists, and more martyrs for them to live up to.

Hopefully this atrocity will make us wake up, and realize what we've done, and maybe, how to correct it without continuing this circle of bloodshed.

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 16, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.