1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Barmy Army, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I despise hunters with a passion. They're such an easy class to play and every class struggles with them bar druids and rogues (if they're lucky enough to get the jump on a hunter).

Priests are a great soloing class, they're great survivors so you can often outrun any enemy if you get into trouble and you'll never have trouble finding a group. I have a 32 dwarf holy priest and she is great on her own (find the right sequence of spells to cast while soloing and you'll mow down enemies) and in a group there is nobody you'd rather have at your side.

My favorite class to play however is a warrior since they are generally the 'leaders' of a group since they pull, decide where to go, hold the line and are probably the most important class in any group. Being the most important class the most responsibility is on them and it's a responsibility I don't trust many others with, good warriors quickly find themselves on my non-warrior character's friends lists very quicky since they're such a valuable commodity.

2. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thanks chaps thats shed some light, I think I'll post any more questions in Sydax's new 'World of Warcraft for a newbie' thread as it makes more sense than posting them in here.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like rogues. Stunlock the casters and you can bag some serious killage! Not that I've played in a while now though, probably lost the knack!

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Rogues can stunlock priests and warlocks (as long as they aren't orcs, with their resistance to stunning) but mages can blink out of it. Not surprising though considering that mages are the bane of rogues.

I'd have to say the best PvP class is a restoration druid, being adaptable in any situation, unable to be slowed or polymorphed, capable of healing with regen type spells AND possessing the best buff in the game. Great for teams, great for solo and capable of handling any situation.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Hmm yeh it seems there are loads of playing styles you can adopt. I quite like the sound of... a Draenei Mage (the teleportation and conjuring food stuff sounds fun to go with the jewel cutting)... a Dwarf or Night Elf hunter... a Night Elf Druid. What kind of realm do you guys play on just been reading about the two different types both sound quite fun.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are actually four different, PVE, PVP, RPPVE and RPPVP. If I started today I would chose RPPVP but those servers didnt exist when I started. I would recommend a PVP server, more frustrating but also more fun.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I would play an RPPvP in a heartbeat if I could be bothered spending money to have my characters transferred over to one. PvP servers add a type of 'realisim' (in a fantasy game?) to the whole lore of the game. Nothing more fun that random PvP battles.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    PvP is where it's at. I wouldn't even consider the others.

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Hmm yeh I was thinking it would be a lot more realistic and create a sense of a real war going on, but as I'm new I'll be finding my feet and with a very low level character will I not get killed every 5 seconds?

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

the first areas you start in are pvp free, around lvl 22 you would start going to contested areas, here you might run in to high level people who kill you for fun and camp your corpse, that said it dosn't happend that often.

As for the feel of real war, sadly not. almost all pvp take place in battlegrounds, instances designed for pvp, which basically is fps inspired wow maps.
    capture the flag, fortress, hold the x points and team arena.

now imho rp-pvp is good fun, but dont expect much outdoor pvp. (people on rp realms tend to stay away from leet speak)

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Which, IMO, spoils a lot of the feeling. After all, it should be about Horde vs. Alliance and every player should be forced to go head-on against the opposing team at some point. Even at low levels. As it is, you almost never even see them unless you decidely take a long trek towards their lands.

Now, like most else, WoW is like a desigern's diary. Everything is restricted and even against monsters you feel like you are being handicapped. There are many skills, but they all have hefty requirments to fulfill. Areas are guarded by über-level AI bots, which also respawn almost every minute (goodbye, PvP raids and any reason to do those long treks).

I believe WoW is very limiting and restricting when it comes to mechanics, even though the story is good and the style is nice too. To get anywhere you have to grind, fight against spammed monsters, a lot. Ironically, for a MMO, this is better done alone, since the EXP is shared in a group and further quests are tied to your level. Too low level >> No quests >> Grind to level up. :nolike:

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Wordplay, try hanging out in Ashenvale then. You'll quickly discover that there is World PvP going on but at your level it simply isn't advised.

When you hit levels 26+ I'd say World PvP slowy starts to take shape.

But the Battlegrounds is where it's at. I mean... they're CALLED Battlegrounds for a reason I gather.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Or Stranglethorn Vale. Wait till you hit level 30-40 and you need to go to STV to level. That place can REALLY be annoying if you're levelling alone.

Wordplay, grouping up to go to instances can be a good way to level and get items, too. It's not all solo.

There's nothing like random outdoor PVP, even if Blizz don't seem to like people doing it. I remember a while back, almost our whole server turned Hillsbrad into one big BG. There was a massive fight between Southshore and Tarren Mill. There was so much fighting on the screen and so many people running around, my computer could hardly handle it! Great fun though, was a right good laugh.

BG's are OK, but are very repetitive and can be easily ruined by idiots. I've had great fun in AV in the past though. Only a few weeks back, me and about 4 other guildies were in an AV and not a single horde was defending, so we decided to hang back. For like, an hour, just the 5 of us held IB GY against waves and waves of alliance. The kill table was hilarious, us 5 were miles ahead of everyone else. Admittedly, the 4 other guildies were all full high warlord and T3 sad-cases, but still it was great fun ;) .

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The old SS vs TM fights is a classic in the WoW history. Before the honor system and the BGs thats where all the pvp were at. Each evening at the start at aroudn 18:00 the battle would begin and it would rage late into the night. Ask any "oldie" in the game about hillsbrad and they get something dreamy in their eyes.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

nah mate about the exp, if you grind, grind alone or 2 people, because of the shared exp. two people can kill alot faster, so it more then evens out the exp penaltie. as for quests, most quests are finished so much faster in a group of two or three that it evens out. plus you can do quests that are orange or red in groups of two or three or as a warlock(most imbalanced class currently :p )

I agree with you that the guards who are lvl 55 is insanely annoying, problem is due to the stupid horde:aliance ratio, on most realms there is 2 to 3 times as many alliance as horde, some horde towns where unplayeble in. (arathi highlands and crossroads was hell, timbersplint or whatever its called in ashenvale was anoying too)

and south shore vs tarren mill (our tauren mill as it was called in the old days) still happend, just not as often or as big as in the old days. the same goes for ratchet vs crossroads.

16. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Well I picked the game up today (it arrived yesterday) I'm not putting it in yet though, am going to the pub tonight and tommorow will be better as I'll have the whole weekend. Still not sure what class or race I'm going to play, I think I'll just stick it in and see what happens. I'll definately pick a RP PvP realm though as you guys seem convinced thats the way too go. I'm getting quite excited now, I've been thinking about this game for a year now and reading forums and stuff it seems WoW deserves the reputation it has. Before I start do you guys have any big don'ts for starting up like picking certain races with certain classes or any particular realms to stear well clear of? This time tommorow I should have entered the World of Warcraft! :p

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    No, PVP realm is the way to go. RP realms are for sad cases mate. Lol, just stick with a normal PvP! Make it Bloodscalp, then you can always give me a shout if you need help with anything (If I'm on of course, I ran out of play-time over a month ago, haven't bought more yet!). I'll be glad to give you a hand, as that's the kind of caring and helpful guy I am. My guild are a bunch of hard-cases too, great to give them a shout if you're getting ganked!

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I know. After taking a look at the map, on one of the WoW related sites, it seems like night elves simply get a bit too difficult start. Their starting island is OK, but right after comes Darkshore, which requires levels 15-25. Easily fixed if you can group up, but since there are only a handful of players...

So I took my healer to Wetlands and joined to another guild, since I had already done pretty much everything lv.16'ish could do in Darkshore. Man, but would I just love to get a ride... It took some two hours to trek through the lands of Horde.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah NE starting position sucks. You've got a massive walk on the cards at some point when you choose them, so that you can get to the other continent (which is where you want to be).

You'd be better off with Horde. Less idiots, more experienced players and a feeling of 'siege mentality' ;) . Horde are outnumbered on nearly every server, but nearly each and every player knows the game pretty well.

20. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Made me chuckle. :lol:

I was thinking of starting with a NE Druid, but not too sure anymore, actually I really don't know. The Draeni or whatever they're called look cool, I could imagine them as powerfull spell casters yet theyre quite hefty and would make good close combaters aswell.

Cheers Barmy I'll try and get on that server if its still open. Back on the class subject I keep being drawn to a hunter, are they decent characters I seem to remember reading somewhere that they arent usually asked into groups because they're kind of solo characters or something. Also whats your opinion on a Druid that uses the Cat polymorph to dish out lots of damage and stealth to sneak up on casters? This is doing my head in trying to choose a character!

Oh and one more thing, is it possible to use my months free trial with WoW, then when thats almost up install BC and get another free month?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.