1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World of Warcraft for a newbie

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Sydax, Jan 23, 2007.

1. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

honestly, don't let them try to power rush you that way, because it just won't work. You need at least 3 other people your level (exactly or 1 lower - for a total of 4 your level and 1 80) for that to actually work, because you'll be leveling by group XP alone since a level 80 with absorb all the mob xp there is to get.

The fastest way to level a character in the game is to run quests and find groups whenever you can, (instances are faster XP with a decent group than questing, but questing doesn't take time to start). Don't worry about learning to play your character, the Blizzard has decided that this game is going to be easymode and anyone can run a level 80 instance without really understanding what they're doing (most of them anyway, some of them you have to know the boss fights well).

This isn't a condemnation on the game btw, it's just a fact that everything including the raids are incredibly easy compared to the older raids/other games. Take the game at your pace and the more you play yourself, the more you'll know your character. Grouping for quests will give you what you need to know for grouping for instances.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gnarff, I said nothing about being boosted or anything like that. Just that you play one character and experience the game with it. That when you log in you take the same character every day and get to see new areas, kill new monsters and get new loot. There is nothing wrong with having multiple characters but I must say that by starting the game by having multiple characters you are losing out and my advice still stands that you will get more out of the game if you start with one character and take it through the game. Level 30 is nothing, I can take a character to lvl30 in three days of quite casual gaming so just questing alone will get you levels fast enough.

As for groups, well as you probably know most people are morons that is true everywhere and maybe more so in WoW. Ignore the instances, or at least do not spend a lot of time on it while levelling. You could put yourself in the LFG tool and see what turns up there are good groups out there. Just don't join whatever, what I do when I level is that I keep my eyes open for the LF1M X calls and I try to be that one person but a word of warning is that most people are not only newbies but pure noobs. Grouping can lead to much frustration but also immense fun, I tend to avoid PUGs (pick up groups, random groups) like the plague and play with people I know and after more than three years on the same server I know quite a lot of people and have spent most of the time in the best or one of the best guilds on the server so I know that I am a bit spoiled. What you could use your friends and relatives for is for them to run you through some key instances, Scarlet Monastary is good to do, lots of loot and several quests, Zul'Farrak is another good one and maybe Sunken Temple before it is time to go to Outland. Do the pre-quests, pick up all the quests there are you can find them on wowhead or other sites and when you are ready around lvl35-40 for SM, 45 for ZF and 50 for ST poke your mate and ask him if he could take you through it. Should go quick and easy with a lvl80 and contrary to what omigodly said you get good XP even from the mobs, not as good as if you were in a group fo the same level but better than if you are out questing alone and of course you get phat lootz! :)

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

joacqin gives some solid advice here Gnarff. IF you play a whole bunch of low level characters the quests become horribly boring very fast. Just pick on and stick with him, quest quest and quest some more. I usually hit up all the major instances(SM, ZF, RFD, ST) after acquiring all of the quests for those areas(www.wowwiki.com has all the quests for every instance in the game and will tell you what quest chains you need to do to get them). Grabbing all of the quests for SM and then getting someone to run you through it can grab a whole level by itself. But I would also add that you should TRY to run some of those with a group your level. If you don't it could very well be that you will end up as one of those 80's with no idea how to play. Hunters and Dk's are notorious for being these people...hence the nicknames Huntards and Deathtards.

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Yeah, there's a huge difference between being a general failure on a SINGLE player game and trying the same on a MULTIPLAYER game, especially if one's failure has a direct impact on the enjoyment of several others.

Not that I endorse name-calling and random ass-hattery, but WoW's business model dictates that while it's your ten bucks a month and you can do whatever you want with it, in a group it's our 40, 90 or 240 bucks that say you're an idiot. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.