1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    As far as I know he is, I haven't heard any different.

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Has C Ronaldo ever been playing? He wiggles, he jumps and does other tricks but I haven't seen him play football yet.

Portugal will get atleast 2 goals. Don't know how the English will react to that.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    Wahey, someone who recognises Portugal are ctually a good side! I was starting to lose hope in people on these boards...!

I actualyl rate Ronaldo, I think he's a pain for the opposition. You've got to watch him and keep a man on him. He attacks soft areas and draws fouls. His final product is still inconsistent as yet, but he's still a thorn in your side with his pace and trickery.

4. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Maybe we could get Crouch to dance and distract everyone while Rooney beats the offside trap :p , failing that we could just have another corker of Cole!

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Go Portugal! :banana:

6. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

@Shrikant
    If Portugal beat England it's not gonna be a fun day here in East Anglia as we have the largest number of Portugese immigrants.

Last time the two sides played was at Euro2004 and a pub in Thetford frequented by the local Portugese was attacked by several hundred angry England Fans and a few other racially fuelled assaults occured across the country.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yep...football is war. :shake:

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

postiga is so going to score.

if england advance here, i am going to see eriksson use walcott. and for once and for all, proving either eriksson is the best coach ever or the stupidest ever.

if england lose this one, i want to see how its media lynch rooney.

[ July 01, 2006, 19:13: Message edited by: teekc ]

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Game: Crap

Sending off: Shambolic

Portugal: Wankers

Ref: OK, on the whole

Crouch: Brilliant

Ronaldo: Prick

System: Crap

Manager: Passionless

Penalties: Typical

Me: Crying

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

There's at least two things that England and Holland have incommon. The first one is that we both suck at taking penaltykicks, and the second is that we both can't seem to beat Portugal.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    England were the better side, even at 10 men down and did not deserve to get knocked out. So unlucky again. Hargeaves was outstanding! I'm glad he's proven all the doubters wrong.

Ronaldo is such a prick, his behaviour was disgraceful.

12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I think Barmy has gone over the line here. Calling Portugal "wankers" and one of it's players "prick" is unacceptable. :mad:

13. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Barmy, be a good loser and realize that Portugal was better than you. This wasn't the ref fault. This wasn't Svennis fault. This wasn't the English player's fault. This was Portugal's fault for being better.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Don't talk wet.

Rutkowski, I honestly don't believe Portugal were the better team. Ok, we lost I accept that. They never created anything. Even when they had one more than than we did. They never managed to break us down. To be honest, most of our chances seemed to come when Rooney got sent off and Crouch came on. We might have nicked a goal. I'm not blaming the ref, I thought he was ok, except for the sending off. On the whole, the bloke was ok. Sven is partly to blame because of his crap tactics and passionless style. I'm not trying to make excuses or anything like that, I've accepted we've lost I just think we were the better side and were quite unlucky to go out. Robinson was steady, rouch was good, Lennon was a threat when he came on. Lampard wasn't very good again. Neither was Gerrard, apart from a fwe flashes of quality. On the whole though, we created better chances than they did, worked more and were the better side.

15. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yes, you are right, I won't miss Englands boring play - norwegian style. OTOH after what the Portugese had shown, I would have liked to see them gone. Anyway next time Brazil wins...

16. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I feel for you, Barmy Army; your judgement is correct. England was the better team, Portugal without Deco didn't know how to put the ball in the net most of the time. And Hargreaves was clearly the man of the match.

And, Earl Grey: Ronaldo is a prick, it's not Barmy's fault. ;)

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    It has to be said, the England fans were superb all match, even after the sending off. I never heard the Portugal fans, not even once. The England fans never stopepd singing all match and really got behind the lads. It's a shame they couldn't push them into another gear.

I just thought that incident with Rooney was completely shambolic. Rooney was battling to keep the ball, and was actually fouled several times before he went down. The ref inexplicably gave the foul the other way, after what was a pretty good performance from him. Ronaldo then ran 20 yards to get into the refs face and try and get Rooney a yellow card. It was unacceptable behaviour, but Rooney should have kept his temper. The push still wasn't a straight red card, unbelievable. The ref should have booked the Portuguese player for the foul on Rooney, booked Rooney for the push and booked Ronaldo for getting in his face and asking for a card to be shown (which is a bookable offence).

I don't mean to make excuses, we lost the game fair and square, I just think we were unlucky and on another day we would have won that game. It's just a massive crusher to go out on penalties, yet again... it's such a horrible way to go out. I hate penalties.

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Barmy is right. Swen is a ..... :flaming:
    If England had started with both Rooney and Crouch, with Gerrard backing them up and Beckham attacking (instead of playing right fullback for half the 1st 45) they could have scored goals.
    Portugal were no where near the quality of England. Maniche couldn't perform to his best without Deco. Deco is the passer, Maniche prefers receiving the passes. And Pauletta was crap in front of the England goal.

All credit to Rio and the rest of the English defence for frustrating Portugal's chances in the 18yard box.
    England were better on defence, their tactics never allowed them to attack. And Rooney being sent off (which should only have attracted a Yellow imo) didn't help either.
    Scolari had all the right moves, but no players to carry them out properly. Scolari 3 - Ericsson 0.

Beckham should have come off during the break. Swen pushed him till he broke. England fans can only rejoice that Swen's idiocy has finally ended.
    PS: England didn't have their best goal-keeper up either imo.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31

I don't think Rooney got sent off for shoving Ronaldo, i think the ref made up his mind a little earlier, when he planted his foot in the crotch of the Portugese player on the ground. That's not a smart thing to do right under the ref's nose.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm not sure John, if you look at the ref's body language, he was letting play go on, then when Rooney pushed Ronaldo, he pointed at Rooney and whistled him over. I'm pretty positive it was for the push. I'm sure we'll get light on in the next few days though.

God damn, I feel depressed, pml. So much promise and talent gone to waste.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.