1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Damn straight :D

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It does not matter what Materazzi said. It is no reason to knock him down.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Oh, i can think of plenty of good reasons to knock someone down, depending on the situation. If someone insults your mother, just to give an example, would you be able to keep your cool ? Is Materazzi indeed mentioned something like muslimterrorism, i'd say Zidane's reaction was a pretty modest one, seeing as how the entire Arab world reacted over a few cynical cartoons. :D

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If I was playing for the world championship in anything there is no way anybody could incite me enough to make me do something that stupid.

Coaches have taught me since grade school to not retaliate and wait until the game is over to remind them of the score and call them a loser.

Zidane acted like a moron and was undeserving of the award.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31

It was also his last ever match, so a suspencion wouldn't have been an option. Maybe he still had a score to settle with Materazzi, after all, they once competed in the same league, and materazzi hasn't made many friends in it. So maybe he waited for a very long time to strike at him, who can tell ? Just like a lot of people feel the need to step on some toes on their very last day of their current job. I've seen it happen on several occasions, once they know they're not coming back, they simply don't give a crap anymore. I think you can see Zidane's action in such a perspective too.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I guess to sum it up, Zidane's headbutt may have been "worth it" from some perspective, but imo it was a damn stupid thing to do PARTICULARLY since it was his last game. Wont say Materazzi didn't have it coming but it definitely wasn't worth the cost he paid imo.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31

The truth is out, it was about a Butterfinger

Well, that sheds a new light to this whole thing, now i can completely understand why he did it. :D

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Actually, yes, yes I would. As much as I hate the French football, Zidane have always been honest about his playing style. Even as he does those stupid headbutts like against Materazzi or in the Champions League game against Hamburg, or when he stomped a Saudi-Arabian's toe in '98, he have not made any excuses, he have always been honest.

If he say that Materazzi called his mother a dirty terrorist, then I believe him. I do not believe hearsay, however.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Yes.

That's not even funny.

The sense in provocating someone is to get a violent reaction. Zidane gave Materazzi exactly what the italian wanted. And this is stupid.

10. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

He's not. He is best friends with a black guy fron Inter, don't recall his name.

Whatever Materazzi said nothing excuses this behaviour on the field. Zidane is the rolemodel for so many, and why this? Plain stupid.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    At the end of the day, you're always going to have players insulting each other and using dirty tricks on the field. It's always been like that, you just have to brush it off, not going around planting the nut on people.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Zidane's headbutt was more interesting than most of what else happened in the final. At least it wasn't a girly fake dive. It was up front and honest and he took the consequences.

13. Register Gems: 29/31

Harbourboy, you mean like diving Malouda? :D

The expression "Never been touched" comes to mind.

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Its so funny watching people say that Zidane going off lead to the French defeat. What about the coach's stupid substitutions? Thiery Henry, Patric Viera and Ribery were all taken out. And Threzequet, the Lampard of France, who didn't get much play time in the entire WC was suddenly called on to take a penalty.

15. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG]
    Man, he got kicked in the head! What the hell more do you want?

16. Register Gems: 29/31

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your video showed that there was contact, thus it was a correct penalty.

18. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I wasn't referring to the penalty, but to an incident later in the game... ''never' been touched' is a bit over the top...

But then again: 'Olympiastadium, Berlin, 9th July, 21:00' was an hour late so I guess you missed it :p

19. Register Gems: 29/31

Vukodlak, a-yup, mistake. Gonna change it back to the original text now anyway.

And Joacquin, players can't touch eachother now? It was not a tackle, the clumsy Frenchmen tripped on his own legs and tried to make it into a tackle, nothing else.

20. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Materazzi caused the fall. You can clearly see that he touched the frenchmans leg which collided with his other leg. It was a foul.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.