1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup 2010 - discussions & random thoughts

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by hannibal555, Jun 12, 2010.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Dude, if anything, Germany messed up that match. Even with 10 men, it had more than enough chances and if it had scored half the chances it had, the game might have ended in something like 3:1, easily.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, half the players in the English league aren't English so that might be why the quality of that league is so good.

3. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

:kneel:Octopus:kneel:

Very poor from England. They do have a lot of good players but noone to pass the ball around and control the game. Most of them just hoof it up to Heskey or try to play a through ball as soon as they get the ball. Carrick is the best they have at this but has had an awful season for his club. Ferdinand and Hargreaves being missing also hurts here.

It looks like most of the final round games will be important, which is good.

I think this was my favourite match so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    Montresor likes this.
  4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I said that France were hands down the worst team I had seen... I changed my mindm it;s England now. That was absolutely pathetic. Pathetic.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe... In that case I fear the Dutch will never win anything in a WC or EC. About 3/4 of our national team plays in the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A or Primera División. :D

Déise, Muahah! :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The bloody game is rigged, I tell you! He has his whistle in his mouth before Donovan even kicked it! And then he wouldn't even explain... in sports, silence is guilt! He cost us 2 points and a bit of breathing room. Now we have to rely on England-Slovenia to tie if we don't win.

The Great Snook likes this.
  7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well not really, conceding 2 goals to a team like Slovenia cost you 2 points... they dominated the US in the first half.

8. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Well, he would have been blowing up for a foul somebody else did before Donovan kicked it. Are you being sarcastic or just a Yank?

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Shaman,
    I know that the German team didn't use their chances. But that doesn't account for the ref. Two issues.

I'm angry not so much at the Serbs but at the ref and also the German team. I don't mind Germany losing to a superior opponent. Odds are that, hadn't it been for the ref, the half time result would have been 0:0.

Point is the Serbs weren't that good, but they successfully used their chance when they had it when the German team was reeling after losing Klose. The German team didn't use their chances, for instance when Podolski blew his shot and the chance for an equaliser. I really hope they're doing much better against Ghana. This isn't the end of the tournament, but it isn't going to make the next match any easier.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I was on ESPN.com and the headline story for the moment is that the ref in the US/Slovenia game might be sacked for the rest of the tournament. Is that normal? Was the call that egregious?

Seems a little harsh for one call to me, but what do I know?

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    IIRC, it has happened before if a referee makes a very big error, or if he makes several smaller errors during a game. I believe the referee stole a goal from the U.S. and possibly cost them the victory, and this error (if it is an error) can end up costing your team a place in the second round.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I fell asleep during England vs Algeria

1-1 CAM/DEN The ball is played and scored fast. Why do the dutch(we)always wait for the defenders to take their places and organize before we attack.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Denmark 2 - Cameroon 1
    Too bad for Cameroon. They can go home now. If one more shot at a goal (of about 23) had backed the net, then they still might have a chance. One goal is not enough, seemingly. It's sad to see an African team go, though.
    I didn't know who to cheer for at the start. I like Cameroon and I thought they played quite well. But then, I like Denmark too. So I'm glad they still have a chance.

We (NL) are through to the second round. It's up to Denmark and Japan now who will end up in the last 16 as well. I truly hope Denmark will win! A draw will not be enough.

Edit: Am I correct when I say that Holland is the first team to qualify for the second round? It's still possible (but very unlikely) that Argentina won't make it, right? If Greece wins from Argentina and Korea from Nigeria, then they will all end with 6 points, right? Korea and Greece should win with 5-0 or something like that to dump Argentina, but still... It IS possible. :p :D

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yay we're through!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Montresor

Media:
    Yep. Nice to see you making it. I like the Dutch style (except when you beat Denmark:D).

Now I hope :kneel: that Denmark can follow you. Problem is we'll need both luck ;) and skill :mommy: :shake: against Japan. :D

16. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Never understimate the luck of Otto Rehagel :p. As for the vuvuzelas, I plan to buy one and give it to my best friend's 3yr old son :evil:.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Kudoos to Dennis Rommedahl who played a wicked game tonight. Netherlands through and I'll root for Denmark to join us in the last match.

Hilarious vuvuzela spoof btw laughed my as$ of. Gandalf man....you broke my Vuvuzela.....oh wait it work again.....bzzzzzzzzzz:D

18. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Congrats Netherlands! :)
    Add another vote of good wishes to Denmark.

As for vuvuzelas, can't say I'm too bothered by them, although I wouldn't want to be defending a penalty with them on or anything...

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

10 hours until NZ play Italy. Go the All Whites! May the dodgy bounce of the crazy ball go our way!! Guard Pacific's triple star...........

20. Montresor

Media:
    Some of the best entertainment of the World Cup comes from the French camp, when they are not playing!

Now their team refuses to train as a protest against Nicolas Anelka being sent home for verbal abuse against the coach.

If they delivered as much entertainment during their matches as they do between matches, they would be among the favourites for the title. :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.