1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup 2010 - discussions & random thoughts

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by hannibal555, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

***puts hand up***

Man oh man oh man, I am beyond myself today. Hearts racing at 100 bpm more than usual. I need revenge for 1994 and 1998. Brazil may have the slight edge today but Holland definately has the quality to beat this team and this is the match that they have to show it.

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

My predictions are not doing too well - 6/8. Better than flipping a coin I guess...

What about the quarter-finals?

Brazil - Netherlands. Probably Brazil, based mostly on tradition. Although if Robben is on form, I would expect a very close match.

Uruguay - Ghana. Uruguay has been my favourite team to watch at this world cup and I think they are better than Ghana. That said, I think Ghana will have most of the support, as everyone would be glad to see an African team in the semis. Still, Uruguay to go through.

Argentina - Germany. It could be interesting, as both teams have somewhat suspect defenders. I think Argentina might just do it. Germany look good and well organised when things go their way, but they looked subdued against Serbia and almost panicky at some points during the England game. The contrasting managerial styles of Maradona and Loew will be interesting to observe.

Paraguay - Spain. At least on paper, the most mis-matched of the games. Spain have loads of quality and should win, even if said quality wasn't always easy to see in their previous matches. Mind you, I thought the same about Switzerland ;)

BTW - Montresor, could I have your predictions please? I would like to go place a few bets!

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Well, I did marginally better than you (7 out of 8). One of my predictions was that Spain would meet Japan in the quarter final. ;)

Netherlands - Brazil: 1-2. I think this Brazilian team is too cynical for the Dutch. Pity, really.

Uruguay - Ghana: 2-0. Again, cynicism beats optimism.

Argentina - Germany: The optimistic guess is that Argentina wins 3-1. The cynical approach says Germany wins 1-0 on a late goal. My heart is with Argentina but my money is on Germany.

Spain - Paraguay: 3-0. Paraguay has come far on a strong defence and a penalty shootout but Spain has the class to beat their defence.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Does that have anything to do with that other war you nutty Brits obsess about?

Obviously, it will be a 3-1 victory for Germany.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Other war? I'm not sure what you mean. I just think Argentina have too much going forward for Germany; although I do fancy Germany to score at least one. The first goal will be crucial though, Argentina can not allow Germany to score first. Once the Germans get on top it's a massive uphill struggle to peg them back...

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    goodbye Brazil

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    We did not loose. I don't know what to say. Flabbergasted.

8. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Oh My God... :| We won from Brazil \o/ :D

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :D :shake: :D

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Honestly!

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can handle the Netherlands result, because I am pretty sure all my competition at work would have picked Brazil too, so I doubt anyone will have gained much ground on me.

I could do with Uruguay game being a draw though.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You are there, Mr draw.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  13. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Way to go Netherlands! Nice. :D

Penalties always remind me of Russian roulette.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sucks to be Gyan tonight.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Woohoo!

Now another draw tomorrow morning please. Then Spain 2-0 over Paraguay and I will be in the money.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ha! Take *THAT* Ghana! Take your Ghanarrhea and begone! :D

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm rooting for Argentina but I think Germany will take it. If their defense can hold Argentina's furious offense and they get to counterattack, there's no way the crap Argentina defense can hold Germany's offense. As far as I'm concerned, it's almost like Mascherano is defending on his own back there. 3 -2 to Germany.

And if Spain lose to Paraguay then maybe I should never have been rooting for them in the first place lol.

18. Merlanni

Media:
    Harbourboy. I am sure Tal would agree on a good obligation to share your riches.

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ghana - Uruguay
    A shame to see Ghana loose like that. IMO, Uruguay didn't deserve to win. And surely not with 2 goalies. I never liked Suarez (who plays in the Dutch "Eredivisie") and right now I think he should be shot.
    Feel kinda bad for Gyan, but it's pretty lame to miss a penalty with that much importance. Props to him, though, for taking the first penalty in the shoot out.

Netherlands - Brazil
    It's good to see some Dutch comments on the boards here. Proves that you guys are still alive. I thought I would have a heart attack!
    Things looked bad in the first half, but we played pretty well in the second.
    Great save by Stekelenburg! And what was Melo thinking when he trampled Robben?! Does "Melo" mean Mule? He sure got the brains for one.
    FIFA has now credited the Dutch opening goal to Sneijder, so no own goals in this match. He, Villa, Vittek and Higuain are topping the scores with 4 goals each.

Today's matches
    Of all south European teams, I favour Spain. They don't seem to be foul-hearted, diving crybabies like the Italians and Portuguese (What do I know...) I liked Paraguay's play and would like to see more of them. Dunno who to support here, but I guess I'd cheer for Spain.
    I want a Holland - Germany final and since I don't fancy Maradona that much, I will definitely cheer for Unseren Ostern-Nachbarn.

Edit:
    Germany vs. Argentina 4-0! This friggin' frightens me! :D

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Wow. 4-0. I called it right but my predicted score wasn't even close.

Spain is the only team left I'm rooting for (they were my primary). They better get their act together against Paraguay later. Especially if they want to have a hope of getting past Germany

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.