1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World-building ideas

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by TheBlackRose, Oct 27, 2002.

1. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Okay, so I want to make my own D&D world..

Here are my initial ideas for world "hooks."

• A LE evil empire controls the known world, players must work together to undermine the all-controlling empire. (think Big Brother) No victory is too small
    • Stone age: cavemen, sabertooth tigers, and a boatload of spirits
    • Exploration of a new continent or Plane
    • The Baldur's Gate world in D&D - edit: maybe the Bhaalspawn saga or BG-related areas in more detail..

[ October 27, 2002, 17:47: Message edited by: TheBlackRose ]

2. Jasper the Druid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hay man i like the baldurs gate one the stoneage one and the LE evil empire one ... im not a DM but i do play D&D with my uncle and those sound pretty cool ones to play.

Jasper

3. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The Baldur's Gate world is already done. It's called the Forgotten Realms.

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

creating a world is a huuuuuuuuuuge amount of work, perhaps instead you could make a continent or large island. This way you could add it to basicly, any gaming world with a partially unexplored territory.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

All ideas are pretty good. (except for the Baldur's Gate, because it doesn't really count, because it's already a campaign setting. :p )

On thoughts of Big Brother kingdom (dictatorshipdom?) - no fancy-free dungeon crawling for your PCs, most likely. They'd be too busy fighting off Big Brother and his minions. Staying in big cities (or even small towns or government-loyal villages) might end up in persecution at each turn. There'd have to be some sort of refuge for the PCs, such as the sewers of a city or a forest hideout. But it'd be hard, considering it's only a handful of people against an entire government. Hospitality and getting items would probably be difficult, unless the PCs had plenty of useful contacts. It's doable, but perhaps hard on early-level characters. Also, consider the lack of NG, CG, and CN NPCs. If a character is one of those alignments, and a cleric or wizard who works for Big Brother divines alignments, well, the PCs are in trouble, especially if they're clerics of deities that would oppose the evil empire, or even druids and rangers. Paladins might be hunted, depending on how lenient the empire is with LG characters.

As for a caveman setting - consider that'd there'd probably be little organizated religion or combat training, so say goodbye to a lot of clerics, paladins, or possibly even fighters. Organized studies are hard; few wizards in the world, perhaps the illiteracy penalty could extend to everyone. Barbarians, rangers, and druids, there would be no lack of, given that'd they'd probably be the best substitutes for a world without much fighters, paladins, or clerics. Sorcerers could probably take up the void of wizards. But there'd be little organized society as well; few people to trade with, no dungeons (at best raw caves), or even a set currency (imagine a campaign where there are no such thing as gold pieces!). No technology for forges either, so say goodbye to swords, crossbows, halberds, metal armor (and a good lack of leather armor, although hide would certainly be in abundance). A primitive setting, IMHO, would be quite hard to pull off. As for the spirits, well, that gives a whole bunch of monsters to combat, or helpful supernatural allies. They could be agents of divine and arcane power, where mortals in the caveman world have very little experience with structured magic. You might even introduce a race for the PCs to use, like the spirit folk as described in the Oriental Adventures book.

[ October 28, 2002, 03:40: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

6. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Those are some interesting ideas. I would feel very sorry for any good aligned character in the evil empire setting though (Paladins would be hunted ruthlessly, think of what happened to the Jedi in the Star Wars universe and you'll have the right idea.)

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I'm always in favor of city campaigns. Like Waterdeep or something.

8. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You'd probably like the campaign my friends and I have going then Tarsakh, it's in Westgate and it's a "living world" as one of my friends puts it. I'll say this: it's very hard to play a lawful character in Westgate, I suggest never trying it!

9. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Cool Which realm though?

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

westgate is on the dragon coast in faerun (forgotten realms). I have to say.. that town is just soooo sweet for campaigning :)

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The LE city idea is good. But how about a realm sorta in the stone age except with say, a strange race with some technology (idea shamelessly stolen from the Saga of the Exiles). The PC's would be able to meet animals such as mammoths, sabretooths cats and the rest of it while still been well equipped.

12. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Tanx Loken, right now my campaigns are usually on the sword coast cities

13. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

My favourite is the stone age world. The players would mostly be barbarians, rangers, druids, and maybe some sorcerers. There could be a race that would be more evolved that would have swords and other equipment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.