1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Workaround for MSN messenger...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hey All...

I seem to have a bit of a problem regarding MSN Messenger on my Uni networks, and I was hoping someone could help me out with this...

Okay...firstly, our Uni computers are strictly controlled, as in we are not allowed to install any programs, Windows Messenger which installs with the OS is blocked, and I am reduced to using MSN Web Messenger...

I'd really like to be able to use some form of installed software based messenger, and I dont mind using Yahoo or Trillian etc.

Oh, and IRC is blocked as well...

Any ideas as to how I can work around this? Technically, I am allowed to use IMs as long as I can get them to work...I checked with the IT staff...they reckon its all well blocked, so no one can get upto anything serious...and they all know we use Web Messenger and they dont care, so its not like we're breaking rules or anything.

Please...I really need to know how to work around this, as its really annoying using these crummy jumped up applets for messaging.

HELP!

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Get Miranda. It is an open source multi protocol messenger, which requires no installation. Just unzip it where you want it and run it.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    MSN Messenger doesn't need to be installed to work. If you've got it installed on another PC, all you need to do is copy the folder (probably "msn" in your Program Files, but I'm not sure) and just run the executable on any computer. It'll work like a charm. Alternatively you could have the directory on a USB drive and run it directly from there.

The same thing works equally well with Googletalk too if you want to use that. Although if you're using Google you might as well use the chat from within Gmail.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Bribe your IT staff. Seriously, at my work they (the IT&S staff) strictly and religiously control the connections/content on every computer...but I've found that with a 12-pack of Bud will allow a computer in a bay to "somehow" be able to access the internet...and a large bag of candy will prevent the collection of games on our computers from being erased... :rolleyes:

If you can't bribe them, try what Ziad suggests. IIRC, it’ll work just fine. :rolling:

[ March 08, 2006, 02:43: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Mesmero: Miranda didn't work...something about incorrect Proxy settings...

@Ziad: I'm going to be giving that a try...

@Kitrax: I doubt that would work mate... :D . The only IT staff on our campus is this one chick who works part time at the desk for like a couple of hours a day. All the servers are remotely administered AFAIK... :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.