1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Women Gamers

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shell, Aug 8, 2005.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Sounds like a few of us agree, but I don't know where NonSequitur got
    My point was (two-fold) that gender differences are very real and, if a men in general can perform a job better, there's nothing wrong with most of the field being men. On the other hand, we don't understand gender differences enough to know if men will be better, worse, or just as good, in general, as women. That's the problem. If we could say, "85% of female applicants for position X will do the job better than 85% of male applicants because of gender differences Y and Z", then the problem would be almost solved, but until that time, we're all in the crapper.

The optimum society is one where everyone does the job in which they can most contribute to society's good. Partnership does not mean equality on all issues, and absolute equality on all issues would leave society in quite a quandry. Good luck to the human race.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My option for that is set specific criteria, don't put gender on the list. If the person meets those, great. If not, bye. If the criteria seem to favour one gender over another, that hurts. But we need someone to do the job more than that person needs to get that particular job. No tweaking, no quotas and we'll be fine. And strangle employers who pay more or less to people in the same job depending on the gender, or promote them faster.

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Fair call, NOG - and there are particular tasks for which men or women are better-suited than the other. However, that should never be the determining factor by itself; if someone can do a job, they can do a job, regardless of their gender (or indeed any other factors). Of course, aside from capability, the other factor is someone actually wanting the job; certain professions attract men or women in greater numbers. I won't speculate on the causes, but I'd go out on a limb and guess that a majority of software programmers are male.

Getting back to the original topic; some game genres are becoming somewhat more gender-neutral, but others (especially FPS) will always be heavily on the male side. I think that it's something programmers should be conscious of, but that it hardly warrants activism unless it's promoting excessively misogynistic images and concepts.

I have no issue with a "Women's Gaming" group - they're a minority, they're not the ones catered to by most games, and they may have different takes on in-game action than the average male gamer. More power to them. There are plenty of chauvinis... I mean, very male-oriented online groups anyway, and while the ones I'm familiar with aren't hostile to women gamers, there are no female members.

The stereotypical "chainmail thong" and push-up breastplate are a bit unnecessary, IMO, but it's just a game, and so long as it's seen as such, is not a huge problem.

Aha! Another closet communist on SP reveals their true colours! :p :hahaerr:

Just kidding, NOG - it's 9:30 on Friday morning and I needed a laugh...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.