1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Women Gamers

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shell, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Here's the deal: When does a group that's starts off being dedicated to the special problems that any minority group must overcome when breaking into a new area turn into reverse discrimination? Malovae is right - why is it acceptable for there to be a "women only" or "Blacks only" or "Hispanics only" or "redheads only" or... group, when creation of an equivalent "men only" group will immediately result in a wave of lawsuits?

I'm not saying that there aren't serious issues to be addressed, but I agree that exclusivity is probably not the way to go about fixing the problems.

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Heeeh... Somehow I got the feeling that half of the complaints that have been issued against games are just because some people don't like them and don't know what else to blame.
    Frankly, the biggest PST maniac I've seen is a woman, and she absolutely loves morte. Matter of perspective, of course. At any rate, I suppose that when game scriptwriters create their characters, they have at least some awareness that they should appeal to the audience.

3. Amatorius Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] @Wirhe
    Well, one could say its getting very annoying how so many men think that those positions should be handed to them simply because they have a pair of b@*** and a mess between *their* legs. :hmm: :shake:

@master of nuhn
    :doh: wtf is she thinking? Anyone shouts at me for beer or anything else gets it breaking the sound barrier aimed at where it can do the most damage. :confused:

4. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The problem with the feminist movement is that their goal is equality in the workplace when the real cause of the problem is inequality in the home.

Fathers are the cause of sexism, not bosses.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    So what shall we do? Cut fathers off and make women deliver children and bring them up on their own?

6. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Exactly Chev. Pure economic equality is a pipe dream.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Oh, this thread is still going on. Should probably check AoDA a bit more often...

What-are-you-talking-about? :hmm:

Good thing you admit it, because I'm right, you're wrong, and there is nothing you can do about it. Nya. :grin:

You have that wrong, like you can expect from a woman: we men have something we can be proud of, for isn't male organ the source of numerous legends? Like: "You sure have some (marble) balls", or "That fellow sure has some (pea) cock." It's smooth, it's pretty, and it's a whole lot more convinient than, urgh, that female *thing.* Men can stand where women have to sit, and this alone proves that males are superior. Plus, everyone know that Adam came before Eve, after which she proceeded to get us all kicked out from the paradise. :nono:

But you are getting pretty off-topic here, Amatorius. ;)

**Edit**

@ dmc

Heh, you say "no Whatnots", but the original author of the topic created this at that side, obviously meaning this to be light-hearted discussion. Then Taluntain frowned and moved it here, so which one should we listen: the creator of the topic or the admin? You know... Mama tells me to do this, but papa tells me not to do it. ;)

[ August 26, 2005, 02:12: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    TOPIC please! This is the AoDA, not Whatnots, so posts with no actual content to add to the topic should not be made. Thanks.

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

@Wirne

You can blame me for that one, I started ranting and it got all serious. Whoops :D

10. Cryo Mantis Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

No. The key is to find a way to make men give birth to children. Hey, it was done on an episode of Sliders.

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    :yot: and with my sincerest apologies to dmc.

@Wirhe. I meant I can't tell you to act defensively since I'm only a mindless creature with a mess between her legs by whom you with your smooth, pretty and convenient *thing* (you have no idea how hilarious that whole passage is :shake: )would never allow yourself to be ordered about.

And paradise wasn't fun anyway. I go there on Wednesday afternoons sometimes. Generally at the same time Bhaal pays the little angels a visit as well. He sends you his regards. :p

On topic!

We need a loving mummy and a loving daddy and we're all right and wrong at times (don't tell Wirhe though, he's still in denial :p ). Sometimes one sex feels wronged sometimes the other gender feels wronged. But it's the difference between men and women that really makes the world so interesting innit?

It seems I have exited my feeling wronged mood. :)

[ August 28, 2005, 20:56: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Let's see if I can throw this topic back to Whatnots... Or create yet another 10,000+ views topic... Or both...

Oh, yes, guess you are right. How foolish of me. I definitely agree with you. In fact, I agree with everything else too and won't even try to deny them, like:

Thank you very much; I'm very proud of my thing and are happy to see that we both have come into a common understanding about the differences of female and male genitals. :)
    Well... erm... yes, absolutely. But it is yet to be seen when I can be all right AND wrong at the same time, but -of course- that isn't a question when everyone knows that I'm always right. :heh:
    So when one sex feels wronged the other feels wronged, or; when one sex feels wronged both sexes feel wronged. We men call this "nagging" or maybe "bitching." Ask from Maddox if you want to know more about what they are. :p
    Oh, yeah; I definitely agree there, despite the question mark in the end. I don't know what I would do if all females had the same equipment as we males. Fact made scarier by some artists who like to draw cartoons of women with "phallus." You don't believe what a pain it is to find anything from 4chan with that kind of cartoons scattered around. :mommy:
    Congrats of the feat. I can't 'exit' my feelings no matter how I try, but I guess you are trying to say "I'm feeling better now." ;)

So this all leads to games and why there are male gamers and some female gamers, coming together pretty neatly and on-topic. Of course, someone could create a new topic in Whatnots, just in case. :D

[ August 29, 2005, 01:52: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Once a thread is moved to another forum, it stays there, and should be treated as being in that forum. It's much more likely that your reply will be deleted if you don't post in accordance with the forum the thread is in, than the thread getting moved back. Consider this a final warning on this issue.

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    My problem is that feminism came before a sufficient understanding of psychology to know if is was a good idea or not. Don't get me wrong, I love and value my girlfriends opinoins and would hate being around her if she couldn't vote :aww: . At the same time, however, men and women do have tendencies towards different skills. Example: research shows that when presented with a decision for which they do not know the answer, men are far more likely to guess than to not answer, where as women are far more likely to not answer/think about it for too long than to guess. This is hard to overcome and provides difinitive advantages/disadvantages for fast-paced and slow-paced decision making processes.
    We really don't know, however, if women are actually as good/efficient at everything as men are and until we do, the job issue is going to be big.
    Think, in the US, all companies are required to give paid maternity leave, but not paternity leave. If you train and pay a woman the same amount and she gets pregnant and becomes a full-time mother, it is much worse than if you train and pay a man and he becomes the traditional working father.
    Society has yet to catch up, and until we know more, I don't know which way we should go.

[ September 22, 2005, 23:17: Message edited by: NOG (No Other Gods) ]

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Wrong. Federal law specifies FAMILY leave and does not restrict who can take this leave by gender.

Ditto that, and in the reverse as well. Perhaps you didn't mean this, but by making a one-sided statement you imply that the opposite statement isn't true - that men do everything in the best/most efficient way possible, thereby setting the standards that women must meet. I can disprove that statement in about one hour. ;) Each gender has its strengths and talents; it's the balance that keeps the world running reasonably smoothly.

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Once again, Rally has shown us the way. The essentialist line is demonstrably false, and there is no need to try to prove one sex's "dominance" over the other. People who try usually only succeed in convincing me that they need a reality check.

In somewhat of a defence of NOG's line of thinking, though: there will never, ever be "true" equality in every sense, because while men and women should have the same entitlements, they can never be entirely equal. In the end, men and women are different; their biological functions are different, they both exist to serve particular purposes.

Before anyone goes off on me for saying that, I've heard it ALL before (I worked in a university office with seven female twenty-something humanities postgraduates), and biologically, us blokes are the more disposable ones. Those differences mean that attempting to impose "equality" on a constructed setting such as society may be plausible, but when you boil business down to its most basic logic (productivity), the disposable, non-reproducing members of the species have the advantage. On the upside, it means the crappiest and most dangerous jobs are the province of us "disposable" types... yet I don't hear anyone complaining about that. That's an ethical quagmire of a different nature, so I'll leave that one there.

"Formal equality" is not equality at all in that setting, while "substantive equality" gets bitched about as being discriminatory while avoiding the fact that not supporting a more level playing field is just as bad. Fortunately, both are better than essentialist crap which denies anybody the ability to transcend the limitations that others place on them because of their gender. However, I feel that many people have been lulled into the myth that you can "have it all", and should always strive for that. In my opinion, that's BS.

I do feel that feminism has accomplished a great deal socially (universal suffrage, raising social consciousness, identifying rape-in-marriage and domestic violence as criminal acts), but that it has a lot to answer for as well. It is not an unqualified good and has inflicted a considerable amount of damage (both deserved and undeserved) on the collective male psyche in places. The more receptive males tend to be emasculated by it, while the less receptive ones couldn't give a toss (the "antibiotic effect" - it actually entrenches the attitude it's trying to address in some areas). In my experience, its proponents often reject out-of-hand any suggestion that the various branches of feminism should be held at least partially responsible for their unintended consequences.

Of course, I do not intend to sit back and wait for an answer or a solution. It's my place as an educated young man to look for them myself, just as I demand that those responsible should at least cast a critical eye over their own arguments rather than viewing them as unassailable truths.

17. chevalier

Media:
    You can't have both, because formal and substantive equality contradict each other in this case. If you take formal equality, biological differences will make the advantage or disadvantage. Depending on the field, either men or women will get the advantage. If you take substantive equality and try to make everything physically the same for men and women, formal equality goes to the moon.

Personally, I'm all for equality. I want a partner, not an underling. I don't want to be hen-pecked (prodded around by the wife) in my house, either. Of course, it's perfectly reasonable to do as she says if it's her field or insist on my opinion if it's my field. ;) Everyone has his or her fields, right? Those may or may not be affected by gender much. I just don't like it when people choose to ignore the physical world in favour of their social or political dreams.

[ September 21, 2005, 11:24: Message edited by: chevalier ]

18. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In some ways this reminds me of a comment made by a NASA official that got him labeled as a sexist pig, but I personally cannot find fault with it. He was asked if he thought women would ever get to be astronauts, his response was “As soon as we figure out the plumbing.” A comment that in my opinion showed his open mind as to a women capabilities while at the same time admitting that physical differences are a source of problems.

19. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I know, Chev, I wasn't suggesting that we should attempt to achieve both; as you've said, that's not possible. I was commenting that either is preferable to biological-positivist essentialism, although to ignore the potential impact of basic biological differences is to indulge in a delusion.

Oh, and I'm 100% with you on the "partner, not underling" part, since that's my current situation and one that I'm quite happy about.

20. chevalier

Media:
    Nice to agree. ;) I don't think it's a great idea to overemphasise biological aspects, but no ideology is good enough to engage in delusions. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.