1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Women and the glass ceiling

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Oct 25, 2009.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is actually a movement here in Sweden that has recently gotten a bit of publicity of men who are breastfeeding their children. Apparently it works if you let the kid suck enough and voila you start producing milk. I believe some people have too much time on their hands.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    WTF? Men don't have mammary glands...

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I heard about something similar from a Biology teacher I knew at my former high school.

Never really checked out the veracity, though.

However, a lot of women have the opinion that the fact that they breast feed makes their connection with the kid stronger, and that men can't or don't love the children as much as they do because the woman is the one who breast fed. IMHO, this is just as sexist and effing stupid as "girls can't do math" or other such horse doodie. The constant degrading of men by these women is a huge barrier to me being able to take their complaints seriously.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's proabaly all the left-over beer from the night before. :eek:

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No, they don't. That is not possible for men to do. It basically makes them human pacifiers only, there is no milk produced. Though, I bet there are some hormones out there for sale, but only if Michael
    Jackson didn't buy them all!;)

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    A little off-topic:
    When my mother-in-law had her first child, in Germany, the doctors told her to take a glass of wine before breastfeeding the baby at night. Aparently a trace amount of alcohol will make it into the breast milk and will make the child sleepy. For those of you horrified by the idea, said child is something of a genius, passed Navy Nuke school, worked on the Enterprise for a few years before he decided he didn't like Navy life, and is now working for Lockheed Martin maintaining and operating their machines on Navy research vessels, so I don't think any harm was done.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My wife's Pede told her to drink a beer or have a glass of wine. Not to help the baby sleep though, but it helps in stimulating the glands to produce more breast milk, which my wife had trouble with when trying to produce for our firstborn. It's the full tummy that helps the baby sleep.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Back to women in the workforce, here's what gets under my skin (or at least, something else that gets under my skin):

The women want to join the workforce -- "we're just as good as any man, just treat us the same as one of the guys!"

OK, fine, they come to the workplace, and then they get treated "just like one of the guys". However, then we get:

"Hey, we're different! You can't treat us the same as a man!"

So in other words, when they feel like it, they want people to not take their gender into consideration -- only when it benefits them, however. If they can play the 'persecuted gender' card, though, and get an advantage out of it, they'll do it in a heartbeat.

This is not all women, but there are women like this out there, and I make no bones about it -- I hate them with a passion.

I've had lots of female managers / supervisors over the years. the good ones were good. The bad ones were utter whores -- 1000 pounds of arrogance in 500 pound bags (ha ha, inadverdent pun!)

And make no mistake, I didn't hate those cows because they were women. I hated them because they were vicious, underhanded, gender card playing sluts. I hate race card playing people just as much, and yes, I've had useless male managers and I hate them too -- based on their behaviour and treatment of their workers. I've just seen women get away with more than men quite often in my working life.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LKD, you sure have an axe to grind with a lot of people. Especially ones playing various cards. Where do you meet these people? I must confess to never really encountering one. Seems like your experience with women have left a sour taste in your mouth.

10. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

*soothing melody plays*

Joacqin, I salute thee for having avoided this particular type of idiocy so far. May you proceed successfully in leading a sheltered life of peace and harmony...

*vinyl record scratch noise*

...but those vultures really DO prey out there, regardless.

"What is yours is also mine; what is mine is *only* mine" was a phrase I heard all too many times from a fine specimen of this type -- my ex-gf. Good riddance, I say.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Where, you ask? Well . . .

The University of Alberta -- a fine institution where the motto should be "All white men will be held to account for the actions of people who have been dead for over 100 years." I met more fanatical, man bashing women there than anywhere else. Not to mention visible minorities who firmly believe things like "Mark Twain was actually a secret PROPONENT of slavery and the poor treatment of blacks in general." Facts be damned!

My First Job: Wherein Roxie the Slutty Manager went by the rule "Give people <deleted, scatalogical reference> even when they have nothing to do with what you're pissed about." The classic was when there was a pizza shell sitting on the make table. She turned to me and said "Peter, you really screwed that up -- that sauce is pooled all over the place. You should know better." I replied "Uh, I didn't sauce that pizza, Roxanne. You did. I was over here." The stupid cow, following the modern psycho feminist rule that a woman must never, ever admit to the possibility that she is <expletiving) wrong, remained silent like the whore she was.

My second Practicum placement: Wherein I innocently asked "I wonder why it is that there are more women teachers in elementary schools?" and was immediately subjected to a hysterical command "Not to say such things around me, please!" When I meekly and humbly, as all modern men are supposed to do, explained I was asking a question in general, she stormed out, going to the principal later demanding I be sanctioned for "saying that elementary teaching is only for women."

I could go on about the slut they sicced on me at my high school teaching job, the stupid whore I work with now who obviously never reads anything other than Vanity Fair but feels free to censor staff room talk to avoid offending her illiterate, uneducated sensibilities, the idiot who works as a guidance counsellor here . . . .

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    As much as I hate to agree with LKD he's spot on with this. In fact I sometimes get the distinct impression that feminism is no longer about gender equality but about women getting a better deal without having to earn it. I used to be all for gender quality and supported feminism at one point until I noticed that what many of them really wanted was to "get their revenge on the male pigs". Of course not all women or feminists are like this, and in fact I'm certain that they're a minority, but unfortunately they're the loud ones and they really give feminism a bad name. I may not be as angry as he is about it, but I've worked for or with plenty of women who played the gender card at every opportunity if it got them something, but would then go on forever about "the differences between men and women" whenevr it suited them.

That said, my current boss is a woman and she's GREAT.

13. Blades of Vanatar

My current Director is a woman and definitely the best boss I have ever had. Understanding, intelligent and wise, though with a touch of sternness, but that is necessary for the position. Her creedo is get the work done and we're covered. After that, she is pretty much game for anything you need.

14. joacqin

Media:
    Ziad, I am not saying that women who do that are doing the right thing but see it from their perspective. They perceive that we men get all manner of perks just by having a penis (and to a large extent they are correct) so why shouldnt they be able to use every trick in the book to level the playing field?

Now, I guess only intelligent aware women would come to such a conclusion and but if they are so intelligent and aware I doubt they would need to but then again. Perceived wrongs can cause some major bitterness in a person.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

So can real wrongs. And I have never received a break for having a penis. Despite the feminist / minority line, being white and male doesn't guarantee one a free ride through life on easy street.

16. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Your mother in law gave birth to Captain Kirk?

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Name me one perk males get outside of biology (yes, not bleeding on a monthly basis and not carrying or delivering the baby is a perk, but men didn't give it out).

Nah, he was a red-shirt. Luckily, he never got asked to go on away missions. :D

Lmao, talking about the other Enterprise. The one that the US Navy runs... on the water... with planes on it.

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Higher starting wages (on average, nation-wide).

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Perhaps that is statistically true, but it isn't my experience -- every job I have ever had, from crap restaurant job to high school teacher, everyone started out at the same wage.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Government jobs are usually better regulated against such discrepancies. Using minimum wage jobs as a comparison is rather ridiculous.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.