1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizard spells learned

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by kuemper, Jul 10, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hi all. Have a problem I need some help with. I'm PnPing 3.5e game with a wizard and trying to figure out correctly how many spells I learn per level. From PHB:

"A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools), plus 3 first level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional first level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook."

I worked out a table (see below) that is just the basic stuff. There's no extra spells from high intelligence, equipment and specializing. Pretend a wizard with an INT 11 could cast all levels of spells. Also, any bonus spells from level-ups I stuck in the highest level I could cast.

Wizard's Spells Learned Table

Is this right? How bad is my math? If this is right, I'm printing it for future use in case I decided to play a wizard again.

For those who want more info, my wizard has a 21 (+5 modifier) intelligence and specializes in divine spells with her prohibited school being enchantment.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It looks about right, but don't you have to wait until 12th level to get 6th level spells? :confused: I'm mostly familiar with 2nd ed., but I'm pretty sure there's a spot somewhere in the middle where you have to wait three levels for the next spell level in 3e, too.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Not in my PHB. I double checked to be certain, though. You can cast 6th spells at 11th level. Probably one of the changes made from 3e to 3.5e. Since I barely passed my math classes throughout school, I always ask for someone to confirm my answers. I think we need to go back to lined paper and crayons, myself. :D The numbers seem so right when viewed in sky blue.

4. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

That table seems to be correct. At least in terms of 3e (I'm not familiar with 3.5 rules, but I think that spell tables are similar in 3e and 3.5)

And, yes, 11th level wizards can cast 6th level spells in 3e (sorcerers don't get spells as fast as wizards, they have to wait till 12th level)

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

In that case, it looks purrfect. :grin:

6. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The table looks fine, though they really should edit the bit about cantrips... by the wording as it is, a wizard who encounters a new cantrip can automatically cast it...

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Thanks, guys! It really does help me to hear your replies. This sucker's getting saved and printed asap. :wave:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.