1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizard Slaying...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Shura, May 11, 2002.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Are there any good classes/ways/methods to kill high level wizards like the likes of Elminster, Alustriel, etc etc?

I'm speaking from the perspective of a fighter type character here. A certain fool's wizard superiority complex has annoyed me just enough...

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Unless you're a serious munchkin, you don't get anywhere near to killing anyone as powerful as Elminster or Alustriel.

3. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Lets see. First you'd need an antimagic field large enough and also lure elminster there. You'd probably also need a dimentional anchor on him so when his contingency flies off he doesn't just teleport out (I believe this does work in an anti-magic zone).
    Even then he can dispel the antimagic field with a mordenkainen's disjunction (success rate of 1% per caster level).
    And also artifacts still function in an antimagic field and elminster probably has access to many.
    Even if you go near to actually killing him, I'm sure mystra would intervene and gods/demi gods are not affected by the anti-magic field.

So you see.. Elminster is indestructible for he is the alter ego of Ed Greenwood. :mad:

/me wishes elminster, alustriel, mystra, seven sisters, khelben all dead :p

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you're the GM, just say he's crucified outside some village at the beginning of every campaign. Got caught in a magic time/space portal and delivered in the hands of the inquisition or something. (Not that a GM needs to give a reason.)

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] There is a Wizard-Slayer Prestiege class in S&F I believe. This will help a fighter defeat mages of equal level and power but the key is few are of high enough level to defeat the kind of powerful mages you speak of.

6. void Guest

I've been off sorcerer's for a while... boy have things changed. the new gem thing is really cool IMHO and tal's got a new avatar!

Anyway, about the question at hand. Its probably statistically possible to kill Elminster etc. (though the power of a DM/GM is beyond statistics...). With the epic handbook rules though, I'm sure it would be possible, e.g. Someone or other, a PC has risen to 60th level and is now the great high chosen of Shar, don't you think they would be able to do it... It would surely be in Shar's best interest to help/protect the PC and stop Mystra's interviening (and that of other dieties) (Shar and Mystra are both around the same level of power, so Shar should at least be able to hold her own while the PC takes out Elminster). Of course, a DM would be able to prevent this, though any DM worth his salt would allow the PC to win, if they really had planned it out well etc. I will finish my mad ranting here...

Cheers, Void

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A lamentable fact is that the Forgotten Realms, ever since the first boxed set back in the last days of 1st edition, has been all about the mages. You can't walk down the street without tripping over a 20+ lvl wizard. That original boxed set was especially funny because I don't think there was even a fighter type above 15th mentioned (except *maybe* Peirgeron?). I know the highest level one they actually gave stats for was from the Band of Four or some other adventuring company. Something like 13th lvl Ranger and the best magic item he had was a +2 longsword. D'oh.

Anyway, to answer the question: the only real way to kill powerful wizards like that is by surprise or by having high level magic of your own.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Hit him first, hit him hard. If he fails his concentrations checks he needs to cast spells (due to have taken damage), he will have to fight. And in the basic combat hte fighter will win without a problem.

and Elminster is a sissy compared to the shadovars, teehee ;)
    /me runs away and hides in Shade

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited June 03, 2002).]

9. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hehe I bet Larloch could kick Elminster's pricky behind but he never shows up.
    He's supposed to be level 50+ or so :D

And yeah, I could point out hundreds of level 20+ mages in FR.

10. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Larloch: Lawful Evil Male human lich Wiz20/Epic12.
    Notable achievements:
    CR 34
    HP 134
    Initiative +11 Spell Resistance 23
    Fort +21, Ref +25, Will +31
    Str 18; Dex 24; Con 10; Int 34; Wis 24; Cha 16
    Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcane) +42
    Spells Per Day (I like this one too)
    4/7/7/7/6/6/6/6/5/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1
    DC = 22 + spell level, for any spell.
    (Yes, that's 12 Epic levels used on increasing maximum spell level)

Excerpted from Lords of Darkness

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited June 03, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.